Postcards

trenchtrotter

45 minutes ago, seaJane said:

I knew that Latin A Level would come in useful some day ... :D

ab uno disce omnes :P

53 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

ab uno disce omnes :P

Dixisti.

Somerset Light Infantry.  L/Cpl has medal ribbons and three overseas service chevrons on show.

Mixed (4).jpg

Wiltshire Regiment W.O and family.

R.A.M.C. "Earwigwam" -  Photographer W.Ross, Shrewton, Wilts

Mixed (5).jpg

Mixed (3).jpg

The photo of the sergeant major of battalion and his immaculately turned out family is superb. Their outfitting would have cost him a fortune, as they clearly aspired to dress as gentlewomen.  Notice the gloves and sticks and matching suits of his daughters that are manifestly tailor made.  He has also obtained a superior quality warrant officers pattern service dress uniform made of a finer cloth than serge (probably whipcord), which was by no means universal and down to regimental discretion, as it would have had to be subsidised by them and not, at that time, issued at public expense.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin
8 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

The photo of the sergeant major of battalion and his immaculately turned out family is superb.

I agree, surely the collective hive of the forum can identify them!

Ken

1 minute ago, kenf48 said:

Ken

Yes, I should think he was a regular and so fairly easily traceable, Ken.  ‘Moonraker’ might well know his name.

On 13/01/2020 at 23:48, FROGSMILE said:

The photo of the sergeant major of battalion and his immaculately turned out family is superb. Their outfitting would have cost him a fortune, as they clearly aspired to dress as gentlewomen.  Notice the gloves and sticks and matching suits of his daughters that are manifestly tailor made.  He has also obtained a superior quality warrant officers pattern service dress uniform made of a finer cloth than serge (probably whipcord), which was by no means universal and down to regimental discretion, as it would have had to be subsidised by them and not, at that time, issued at public expense.

Thank you for your observations, always appreciated

On 14/01/2020 at 08:48, kenf48 said:

Ken

I hope so.

Colour card.  The the back of the card names him as  "William Marsden".

Sgt. William Marsden.jpg

Wounded but which regiment?  I cannot see his buttons well enough. Several William Marsden service records though. 

I have just completed an article for our regimental Chronical researching and observing all visible details about these Borderers who only a few weeks ago were fighting for their lives, the last Borderers of the 2nd Bn KOSB to fall in battle was on the 20th October 1918, when the depleted strength of the Bn were merged into two companies B and D, the companies advanced to the front line overlooking the Selle valley; this was to be in the famous expression by General Harper – ‘a full dress affair’; This was considered to have helped enormously to the success of this the last serious engagement carried-out by 2nd KOSB. The Borderers that fell were:

Lieutenant Robert Logan, --- 7691 Lance Sergeant Jeremiah Johnstone, --- 17455 Pte Ernest Hilton, --- 23286 Pte George Johnstone, --- 31969 Pte Charles Langdale, --- 42024 Pte Daniel Miller. also there were 49 wounded out of a depleted strength of 309.

This engagement was to be the last, were Borderers from 2nd Battalion KOSB would fall in the Great War, but not the last to die as a result of wounds and injuries sustained during the later and previous engagements, many more would die. The battalion now moved into the final phase of the war, which began with an advance on 3rd November. By the 10th November 1918 we were in the area of Avesnes on the road from Maubeuge, with patrols out, a prisoner was taken, it was on this march back to Le Carnoy that the Great News came, the War Was Over.

I purchase the Post Card when I read what was on the rear, because I remember reading in the Regiments history about an event at Namur in December 1918.  As it so happened at the end of December 1918 the 2nd KOSB, once a lineal descendants of Levin’s Regiment also marched close to Namur. However, in this same Division,(5th) were the lineal descendants of the old 16th Regiment of foot 1st Bedfordshire’s, which also took part in the famous siege of 1695. Both battalions Colour-Parties were ordered to Namur, and there, there was a trooping of their respective Colours, with good deal of notable local interest. Remarkably, the War Diarist was not evidently uninterested, as the only entry composed sparse of detail says; ‘Colour Party returned with Regimental Colours’.

Evidentially we are now fortunate to have evidence, that although the War Diary entry is scarce on detail, we now know that it was not just the Colour Party that visited Namur at the end of hostilities, because of this Post Card. The Sergeant seated left is an 'Old Contemptible' original 2nd KOSB BEF see his Overseas Service stripe, Red stripe bottom a gap and four Blue stripes also supporting a Medal Riband and one wound stripe. There are two soldiers in mourning with black buttons, there is quite a lot of service on view, of the 30 soldiers 16 have there arms out of view.

So what does this post card tell us, other than the details penned on the rear? The overall impression I get when looking at the Platoon as a whole, is an air of proud accomplished satisfaction, conveyed by a relaxed calmness which exists across the faces of these Borderers. However, primarily, although it has only been a few weeks, since the end of one of the most blood and hard fought War’s known to man, it can be said that the machinery of the British Army with its well-oiled Regimental structure, has again excelled in its administration and supply right down to Platoon level; evidently uniforms, that ordinarily were covered with the infamous battle field mud of WW1, have been cleaned or new issued, TOS’s, have replaced the ‘Brodie Helmet’, once stuffed in the bottom of kit bags, their crumpled state no more, and Regimental badges cleaned and worn with pride, tunic buttons have been polished and regimental brass shoulder titles are worn; the soldiers have stripped down their 1908 Pattern Infantry Web Equipment to belt order and scrubbed clean, with brasses polished. The platoon looks ever part the professional soldiers they have become.

Miniature Medal Group3.jpg

Miniature Medal Group4.jpg

1 hour ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

Wounded but which regiment?  I cannot see his buttons well enough. Several William Marsden service records though. 

Thanks for looking, General Service buttons unfortunately.

Hi An excellent KOSB photo with an amazing proportion of wound stripes with 7 out of 10 on those we can see with their left sleeves visible. A nice trio for the chap in the back row with three overseas service stripes

many thanks for posting 

The Right Honourable and Right Reverend Arthur Foley Winnington-Ingham. KCVO. DD. LL.D. Bishop of London. Chaplain to The Rifle Brigade and London R.N Volunteers.

M.I.D, Grand Cross of The Order of The Redeemer Greece), Order of St. Sava 1st Class (Serbia).

Named.5 (4).jpg

21 hours ago, Dave1418 said:

Hi An excellent KOSB photo with an amazing proportion of wound stripes with 7 out of 10 on those we can see with their left sleeves visible. A nice trio for the chap in the back row with three overseas service stripes

many thanks for posting 

Hi Dave, Thanks for your kind words, the photograph is a real eye opener to the experience and achievements contained within just one platoon, also as its so close to the end of the War I believe it gives an exceptional insight into the men we are looking at, there is a calm air of achievement and satisfaction on their faces that they have won and survived. PS. There are 8 wound stripes visible, mind you I have been studying the photograph quite a bit longer, while I wrote my piece for the Regimental Chronical.

Best

Hiram 

Hi

yes you’re correct with 8 and I just wonder how many more there are which cannot be seen, a remarkable group

18 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

The Right Honourable and Right Reverend Arthur Foley Winnington-Ingham. KCVO. DD. LL.D. Bishop of London. Chaplain to The Rifle Brigade and London R.N Volunteers.

M.I.D, Grand Cross of The Order of The Redeemer Greece), Order of St. Sava 1st Class (Serbia).

Named.5 (4).jpg

Rt Hon is reserved for Privy Councillors. Was he one such?

3 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

Rt Hon is reserved for Privy Councillors. Was he one such?

Wiki suggests.

The Right Honourable (The Rt Hon. or Rt Hon.) is an honorific style traditionally applied to certain persons and collective bodies in the United Kingdom, the British Empire, and the Commonwealth of Nations.

The term is predominantly used today as a style associated with the holding of certain senior public offices in the United Kingdom, Canada, and New Zealand.

Other honorifics are used in addition for those members in relevant professions: (right) honourable and reverend" for clergy!

Draft Section, 19th Reserve Battery R.F.A.

A/Bdr. Frederick James Goldup. 1618 - 730632 (Standing) & Dvr/Sig. Charles Henry Gwinnett. 2020 - 730859. 1/2 Welch Brigade R.F.A. 

Named.5 (2).jpg

Gwinnett + Goldup.jpg

Classic survivors photo, the last one.

Can you explain why the photo of the two men above is a ‘classic survivors’ please?  I mean how can you if tell the pose/setting is survivors or just two mates somewhere having a photo?  Really enjoy this thread so genuinely interested thank you

12 hours ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

Can you explain why the photo of the two men above is a ‘classic survivors’ please?  I mean how can you if tell the pose/setting is survivors or just two mates somewhere having a photo?  Really enjoy this thread so genuinely interested thank you

Well, I must first say that I cannot be 100% sure Alison, it is really just a perception of factors within the photo.  Both men have four, blue overseas service chevrons, suggesting at least, service in 1915, 16, 17 and 18 (although it could also be one year up on all of those if the men are in the Rhine Zone occupation army in 1919).  They also both have the medal ribbon for either, the 1914 star, or the 1914/15 star (almost certainly the latter that was issued in 1918, given that they don't have the red 1914 overseas service chevron).  They are also pristinely turned out, with polished bandolier and boots, whitened lanyard and shiny insignia, and a uniform and puttees that are neither crumpled, nor dirty/dusty, which suggests that they are living in clean billets and have not seen a trench for some time (it helps if you have lived out of a kit bag in the field for a while to fully appreciate what I mean by that).  Lastly, they have relatively serene demeanours, especially the standing man, suggesting that they are content in the certain knowledge that they yet have some life to live.  I hope that in the round that all makes sense, in that it suggests that the photo was taken after the Armistice.  One occasionally sees such photos here in the forum and they are quite noticeable.

Edited by FROGSMILE

7 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Well, I must first say that I cannot be 100% sure Alison, it is really just a perception of factors within the photo.  Both men have four, blue overseas service chevrons, suggesting at least, service in 1915, 16, 17 and 18 (although it could also be one year up on all of those if the men are in the Rhine Zone occupation army in 1919).  They also both have the medal ribbon for either, the 1914 star, or the 1914/15 star (almost certainly the latter that was issued in 1918, given that they don't have the red 1914 overseas service chevron).  They are also pristinely turned out, with polished bandolier and boots, whitened lanyard and shiny insignia, and a uniform and puttees that are neither crumpled, nor dirty/dusty, which suggests that they are living in clean billets and have not seen a trench for some time (it helps if you have lived out of a kit bag in the field for a while to fully appreciate what I mean by that).  Lastly, they have relatively serene demeanours, especially the standing man, suggesting that they are content in the certain knowledge that they yet have some life to live.  I hope that in the round that all makes sense, in that it suggests that the photo was taken after the Armistice.  One occasionally sees such photos here in the forum and they are quite noticeable.

Spot on sir!

“Postcard” back suggests the photograph was taken in the UK shortly before discharge in 1919. 

Thank you, that’s interesting to know.

Thank you some of that I had considered because they looked to be in new uniform and shoes? As opposed to boots?  I couldn’t quite make out the medal ribbon and again thought it likely but I didn’t  know about the four chevrons and wondered about those.  Really do learn so much each time I am on the forum so thanks again!  I have been told about living out of a kit bag from family but not experienced it.  Smiled about the date on back of postcard but you clearly didn’t need it 😊