Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

3 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Bertie is wearing the Essex Regiment and hospital blue in the photo. I wonder if he was sick, or wounded in hospital. Garrison battalions had much lower attrition rates so I’m curious as to how he came to be a convalescent.

The cap badge is that of the Northamptonshire Regiment.  Pete.

3 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Bertie is wearing the Essex Regiment and hospital blue in the photo. I wonder if he was sick, or wounded in hospital. Garrison battalions had much lower attrition rates so I’m curious as to how he came to be a convalescent.

I'm not sure why he was admitted to hospital. Bertie has some surviving papers which show he was born with claw toes and suffered from rheumatism. This led to his medical downgrade helping him dodge the Kaiser; but unfortunately not the Fuhrer!

I thought it was a Northants badge, but the top does appear to be a more solid, sphinx like shape.

4 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

The cap badge is that of the Northamptonshire Regiment.  Pete.

Yes, I think you’re right, Pete, now that I look again. It’s a larger badge, as worn by the Northampton’s. Good spot.

Edited by FROGSMILE

6 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

I'm not sure why he was admitted to hospital. Bertie has some surviving papers which show he was born with claw toes and suffered from rheumatism. This led to his medical downgrade helping him dodge the Kaiser; but unfortunately not the Fuhrer!

I thought it was a Northants badge, but the top does appear to be a more solid, sphinx like shape.

I can’t imagine him being admitted for rheumatism, but perhaps he was injured or sick from the effects of climate. I think that you and Pete are correct and it is the Northants. Both regimental badges featured a wreath and Gibraltar castle, but the Northants was noticeably larger. I thought it was the other chap who died in WW2?

Edited by FROGSMILE

Just now, FROGSMILE said:

I can’t imagine him being admitted for rheumatism, but perhaps he was injured or sick from the effects of climate. I think that you and Pete are correct and it is the Northants. Both regimental badges featured a wreath and Gibraltar castle, but the Northants was noticeably larger.

His feet can't have been great as he was classified as 20% disabled and awarded a pension on discharge.

"Taken before going to France the second time". (17/12/16).

L/Cpl. Harry William Grimston. 3947 Royal West Kent Reg.   Admitted to hospital, GSW, scalp and face 27/6/16.  - to Balham Hospital, UK. 30/6/16. 

Transferred to R.A.F. 1/4/18. Cpl. 166463. No. 2 Flight School, Purfleet. 

Grimston.jpg

18 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

His feet can't have been great as he was classified as 20% disabled and awarded a pension on discharge.

Yes, I expect you’re right, probably his problem feet led to admission.  I bet he had an ‘excused marching’ chit!

Pte. James Truman Howell. 14840. 7th King's Shropshire L.I.  wounded 6/11/1916.  -  Re-enlisted Sgt. 4070087. Monmouthshire Regt.  

WW2 service. - RQMS. 15930. 5th Home Defence Batt. South Wales Borderers.  

Truman died, along with his wife and daughter, in a car crash during the blackout on 17/11/1940.

James Trueman Howell.jpg

An unknown soldier of the Lancashire Fusiliers. I suspect in Egypt, early 1916.  Note how the train behind him has become a home for a while! 

LF foreign.jpg

31 minutes ago, Toby Brayley said:

An unknown soldier of the Lancashire Fusiliers. I suspect in Egypt, early 1916.  Note how the train behind him has become a home for a while! 

LF foreign.jpg

I feel a song coming on, "We're Going To Hang Out The Washing On The Railway Line", never mind.  Pete.

This postcard is a group of the newly formed Royal Air Force personnel.

IMG_20200105_133855598.jpg

Edited by themonsstar

2 hours ago, themonsstar said:

The cap badge is the flaming grenade but I'm not sure which Regt.

Roy

There were three regiments with that style of grenade as their cap badge, the Northumberland Fusiliers, the Royal Munster Fusiliers and the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.  The shape of the one-piece shoulder title that is visible suggests the former regiment. The photographers mark on the bottom of the print might also offer a clue.

4365FDAF-1402-419C-817A-40D6F8F8097F.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, CorporalPunishment said:

The photographer's address looks to be South Shields. Northumberland Fusiliers a likely bet.   Pete.

Great stuff, Pete, it certainly seems to reinforce matters.

5 hours ago, themonsstar said:

The cap badge is the flaming grenade but I'm not sure which Regt.

Roy

IMG_20200105_133931914.jpg

The photographers were Frank & Hamilton whose premises were in Ocean Road, South Shields.   Pete.

On 07/01/2020 at 11:13, FROGSMILE said:

There were three regiments with that style of grenade as their cap badge, the Northumberland Fusiliers, the Royal Munster Fusiliers and the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.  The shape of the one-piece shoulder title that is visible suggests the former regiment. The photographers mark on the bottom of the print might also offer a clue.

4365FDAF-1402-419C-817A-40D6F8F8097F.jpeg

This is the erroneous title with "FASA" for "FATA" = fate. Not a phony as I understand it, but issued and worn for some time. Nice to have one of each in a collection.

29 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

This is the erroneous title with "FASA" for "FATA" = fate. Not a phony as I understand it, but issued and worn for some time. Nice to have one of each in a collection.

I wonder if there is a Latin meaning for ‘Fasa’?

'Quo Fata Vocant' 'Whither Destiny Takes Me' (Latin), the Motto of the Royal Regiment of Fusilers.

51 minutes ago, robins2 said:

'Quo Fata Vocant' 'Whither Destiny Takes Me' (Latin), the Motto of the Royal Regiment of Fusilers.

Yes, they inherited that motto from the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers.  My query was as to whether the inscribed error on the shoulder title, ‘FASA’, actually had another meaning in Latin. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

i searched all the well known sites, only one came up with the latin/english translation of  Fasa as being Fate??

"Fasa" isn't a word in Latin (checked Perseus Latin dictionary online) although "fas" is, and means "good, right".

35 minutes ago, seaJane said:

"Fasa" isn't a word in Latin (checked Perseus Latin dictionary online) although "fas" is, and means "good, right".

Thank you, SeaJane. 

6 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Thank you, SeaJane. 

I knew that Latin A Level would come in useful some day ... :D

Edited by seaJane