Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

17 minutes ago, MikeyH said:

See my edited OP for photographer detail.

Mike.

Thanks Mike, I think the French photographer is quite well known. As Leeds is not that far from Manchester, and the lad in the 2nd photo is definitely TF given his Imperial Service Tablet, then I think there’s a good chance that he’s from the Leeds Rifles.  If the two photos are connected then the first man (sergeant) could be Leeds Rifles too, as there were non-black badges also.

13F6CA24-16B1-4BBF-B72B-CC39EC773849.jpeg

16062492-2D03-4E00-9191-EF9C13F62656.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

FROGSMILE

Thanks once more

Mike.

Photo one in my original post #6805, was clearly taken in the stables of Louise and Antoinette Thullier in Vignacourt, Picardy.

The backdrop, chair and beaten earth floor are visible in some of the many surviving glass negatives.  This was the subject of a fairly recent book

'The Lost Tommies'. The reason that the card shows a Paris companies imprint, is I think that R.Guillemiaot supplied the blank

postcard stock used by the Thullier's.

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

3 hours ago, Dave1418 said:

Hi

I’m seeing at three stripes and not two in the first image. He does have the loom of just finishing a hard day 

Yes, you're quite right, he is indeed a sergeant. I blame the Famous Grouse, the drink that is, not the wife!!.   Pete.

4 hours ago, MikeyH said:

Photo one in my original post #6805, was clearly taken in the stables of Louise and Antoinette Thullier in Vignacourt, Picardy.

The backdrop, chair and beaten earth floor are visible in some of the many surviving glass negatives.  This was the subject of a fairly recent book

'The Lost Tommies'. The reason that the card shows a Paris companies imprint, is I think that R.Guillemiaot supplied the blank

postcard stock used by the Thullier's.

Mike.

Thanks for the further info regarding Paris, Mike.  I was a bit puzzled because from the outset I recognised the backdrop and location from the Lost Tommies, which is why I mentioned it in reply to comments about the man’s scruffiness in comparison with the staff sergeant.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Driver Ernest Albert Mitchell. Died of disease October 1918 in Italy.

Scan0263.jpg

Scan0263f.jpg

Scan0268.jpg

Edited by Jools mckenna

IMG_20190718_235439.jpg.858e36aac7b1c65b18910358392b5df5.jpg

IMG_20190718_235439.jpg (2).jpg

IMG_20190718_235457.jpg.jpg

Could anyone tell me when this pattern of Arm eagle was adopted.

Scan0277 (2).jpg

1 hour ago, Jools mckenna said:

Could anyone tell me when this pattern of Arm eagle was adopted.

The eagles seem to have replaced the old shoulder titles in 1919 under AMWO783/19, the same order that introduced the new RAF cap badge still worn today.

5 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

The eagles seem to have replaced the old shoulder titles in 1919 under AMWO783/19, the same order that introduced the new RAF cap badge still worn today.

Thanks again FS.

A young boy soldier of the London Scottish Regiment(14th London Regiment).

Scan0276.jpg

Edited by Jools mckenna

12th Signals Company, Royal Engineers, Aldershot, 1915.  At first I thought it was post war, because of the amount of vehicles and especially the rather "modern" looking car at the rear! It is postmarked 1915 and there are a number of economy Service Dress Jackets in there. 

Some super details here in terms of equipment, vehicles and horse dawn transport, including the signals carts. I could spend hours looking at it..enjoy. 

1581744857_12thSignalsCompanyREAldershot19151.jpg.1fc69666d6e1cb32430c062ad8c5e683.jpg

884532262_12thSignalsCompanyREAldershot19152.jpg.6ec22dafe25c42db7859d030e767876e.jpg

665206903_12thSignalsCompanyREAldershot19153.jpg.9232423e8772da6971ca14ad652da03a.jpg

2013224382_12thSignalsCompanyREAldershot19154.jpg.2b8da96ece75b91ebc8fc623d29a11b4.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

Toby,

Think that the car is a Singer 'Ten', first built in 1912.  Superb photo by the way.

Mike.

3 minutes ago, MikeyH said:

Toby,

Think that the car is a Singer 'Ten', first built in 1912.  Superb photo by the way.

Mike.

Mike thank you kindly , I will add it to the info!  

Dear Toby,

The officer mounted on his splendid horse with full equipment could perhaps be identified?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Hello Kim, I suspect so..... a Captain in the 12th Signals Company in 1915. I will see what I can find out. 

What a great photo - thanks for posting.

Pat

two other officers also present in the photo. 

373758184_12thSignalsCompanyREAldershot19155.jpg.4f035410b86e9e493d83a4858dbc06d1.jpg

Fabulous! It must have taken a long time to assemble the men and animals, no doubt drawing on the annual mobilisation exercises carried out by all units.

I see that many men wear the brassard on both arms. Also I think two ASC drivers for the heavier wagons or perhaps MT, standing left, no brassards, but appeart o be rather senior for the job?

My version on screen does not allow good enough resolution to see if any men have campaign ribbons, or musketry or other badges. The motor cyclists all appear to be corporal or above, as we would expect. 

Close your eyes and here the clink of equipment, stamping and snorting of horses.

And sniff.

I agree, I could look at this all day!

Picture of the year Toby.

35 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

I agree, I could look at this all day!

Picture of the year Toby.

Thank you, glad its finally able to see the light of day after 100 odd years in a box! 

There are a few crossed flags in the image. These two SNCOs are the only ones who are wearing campaign medals, a KSA and QSA.   One is a Sgt Instructor of Musketry with crossed rifles above his chevrons and flaming grenade.  *edit* The chap with the ribbons has a large crown over his chevrons. 

Regards

Toby

12th Signals Company RE Aldershot 1915 6.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

Lt. Lincolnshire Regiment. The postcard came with the M.C. ribbon attached with the thread shown, which also formed a hanging loop.

M.C. Lincs. Reg (2).jpg

Dear Toby,

There are a further two Officers to be seen mounted on horses on the far right.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Suffolk regiment with a Lyre badge, 2 good conduct stripes, Signalers trade badge and a wound strip.

Scan0274.jpg

36 minutes ago, Jools mckenna said:

Suffolk regiment with a Lyre badge, 2 good conduct stripes, Signalers trade badge and a wound strip.

A nice clear image thanks for sharing, but it's Essex Regiment :)