Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

1207182993_LonReggroupStanding.jpg.6cece21f3780f78e2b34132ef435ebd7.jpg

A photograph of London Regiment men, possibly taken in the field. They appear to be 6th Bn. (City of London Rifles), 8th Bn. (Post Office Rifles) and 15th Bn. (Civil Service Rifles). I suppose it dates from the time they were brigaded together in the 47th Division. 

A.S.C. M.T. drivers and driving instructor. Outside the surgery of Dr Hugh Knox.

2019-03-16_220329 (4).jpg

Edited by GWF1967

19 hours ago, Drew-1918 said:

1207182993_LonReggroupStanding.jpg.6cece21f3780f78e2b34132ef435ebd7.jpg

A photograph of London Regiment men, possibly taken in the field. They appear to be 6th Bn. (City of London Rifles), 8th Bn. (Post Office Rifles) and 15th Bn. (Civil Service Rifles). I suppose it dates from the time they were brigaded together in the 47th Division. 

Great photo Drew.  Two are signals trained and one wears the narrow version of the P08 belt, unless it’s a locally modified shoulder brace.  The mix of ‘Gor Blimey’ and soft trench caps suggests a 1916 date.  Most have black rifles buttons as one expects, but the Sergeant’s look odd.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Not a collector of British photos, however I've picked up quite a few along the journey

All I think I know about this photo is: I'm sure it's pre-war

Rank on right arm only; no idea about the bandoliers, collar badge looks similar to the horse off the Berkshire Yeomanry badge, but maybe not

I'd be most happy to hear from anyone who has any clue

Dan

British - pre-war.jpg

Here's another I picked up that I liked the look of, but again I have no real idea

Pre-war India (1900-10?) is about the best I can do

Bandolier is interesting, any ideas?

Again, any suggestions appreciated 

Dan

British Soldier - Photographer J. David - Jhansi, India.jpg

Not the best condition, but an early one

Dan

A Coy, 6th A & SH - Aug 1914.jpg

"Stan and Mr Blackmur[?] in British Red Cross 1917"

British Red Cross.jpg

On 12/03/2019 at 19:50, Waddell said:

Here is an odd one. Recorded as September 1916 on the rear of the postcard. Lance Corporal with a wound stripe.

Possibly an AIF man recovering in Scotland.

Scott

AIF Scotsman.JPG

Odd but not uncommon - 'Yours Sincerely Ted 3-2-15' - so likely taken in Australia (?)

AIF - Scottish.jpg

Some-where-In France 3/9/18

My Pal Alf dressed as a Scotie

6ft 4in 16st 0 weight

Some sleeping partner "Eh"

AIF - Scottish & Father.jpg

Possibly the photographer reads: Urquhart Dingwall and Yarn - very hard to tell

Dan

Edited by Fromelles

21 minutes ago, Fromelles said:

Odd but not uncommon - 'Yours Sincerely Ted 3-2-15' - so likely taken in Australia (?)

AIF - Scottish.jpg

I like how he has folded the lower sections of his tunic in to clear his sporran like the highlanders wore.

Scott

11 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

A.S.C. M.T. drivers and driving instructor. Outside the surgery of Dr Hugh Knox.

2019-03-16_220329 (4).jpg

I found a Dr Hugh Knox living at 115 Maida Vale, London, with possibly further premises at 7 Priory Park Road just off Kilburn High Road.

115 Maida Vale was close to the junction with Sutherland Avenue.

Kilburn High Road is the extension of the A5/Edgware Road/Maida Vale.  Priory Park Road is a mile or so further up from No 115.

The 1911 Census has him born in Ireland, but the Medical Register shows he trained and qualified in Scotland.

No other Dr Hugh Knox's on the 1915 Medical Register.

He's in the 1915 Trade Directory at No 115, but I could find no entries at all for Priory Park Road.  The Earl Derby pub, on the corner of Priory Park Road and Kilburn High Road and about 5 doors away from No 7, is listed, so the directory definitely covers the area.

The locations of both addresses have unfortunately both been redeveloped, so unless another Pal can turn up some vintage photos, there's not much chance of finding anything to compare with the postcard  :(

Mark

Edited by MBrockway

Some great pictures on here. A unit photo, I think Fusiliers, but hard to be 100% sure.

0132_001 (1) - Copy.jpg

8 minutes ago, MBrockway said:

I found a Dr Hugh Knox living at 115 Maida Vale, London, with possibly further premises at 7 Priory Park Road just off Kilburn High Road.

Kilburn High Road is the extension of the A5/Edgware Road/Maida Vale.  Priory Park Road is a mile or so further up from No 115.

The 1911 Census has him born in Ireland, but the Medical Register shows he trained and qualified in Scotland.

He's in the 1915 Trade Directory at No 115, but I could find no entries at all for Priory Park Road.  The Earl Derby pub, on the corner of Priory Park Road and Kilburn High Road and about 5 doors away from No 7, is listed, so the directory definitely covers the area.

The locations of both addresses have unfortunately both been redeveloped, so unless another Pal can turn up some vintage photos, there's not much chance of finding anything to compare with the postcard  :(

Mark

Just a bit extra to add to that postcard from Michael Young's ASC postcard book. The instructors were from the London General Omnibus Company (96 of them). They initially trained the ASC men at Grove Park in South East London Park at the outbreak of the war but moved to Osterley Park in September 1914 till the end of the war as it was a larger facility.

Not sure if that is of any use regarding Dr. Knox's premises Mark, but thought it worth mentioning.

Scott 

359 Pte Albert Roy Yeo of 'B' Sqn, 9th Light Horse Regiment, 3rd Light Horse Brigade, Christmas 1914 - If you look closely you'll notice the 'Y' & 'E' of his surname stenciled onto his saddle blanket

Born in Broken Hill, NSW but living at Largs Bay, Adelaide when the war broke. Bert, at age 21, enlisted on 22 Oct 14. The Regiments South Australians squadrons (A & B) relocated to Victoria and embarked (with the Victorian C sqn) from Melbourne on board the HMAT A10 'Karroo' on 11 Feb 15. After a couple of months training in Egypt Bert embarked for Gallipoli with the rest of the Regiment in May 1915. During the war Bert progressed up the ranks to become the Regiment's RQMS, however, due to illness, Bert's war consisted of numerous stints in and out of hospital before he was finally invalided back to Australia in July 1918, and discharged 8 Apr 19 as being Medically Unfit.

Bert married ex Staff Nurse Christina Hicks (AANS) in 1920, they had 5 children. Bert died suddenly at Barmera, SA on 11 Aug 47 at age 53.

Dan

359 AR Yeo - B Sqn, 9th LH Regt.jpg

52 minutes ago, MBrockway said:

Mark

Great stuff Mark, many thanks for digging.

Derby Recruits.   2/5 (Flintshire) R.W.F. 1916.

2019-03-17_003509 (2).jpg

5 hours ago, Fromelles said:

Here's another I picked up that I liked the look of, but again I have no real idea

Pre-war India (1900-10?) is about the best I can do

Bandolier is interesting, any ideas?

Again, any suggestions appreciated 

Dan

British Soldier - Photographer J. David - Jhansi, India.jpg

Is that the QSA ribbon, perhaps? Not sure how colours appear in such photos mind; though I know it's been covered before, I can't really do a search just now.

Cheers, Pat

PS or India General Service Medal?

Edited by Pat Atkins

4 hours ago, Waddell said:

Just a bit extra to add to that postcard from Michael Young's ASC postcard book. The instructors were from the London General Omnibus Company (96 of them). They initially trained the ASC men at Grove Park in South East London Park at the outbreak of the war but moved to Osterley Park in September 1914 till the end of the war as it was a larger facility.

Not sure if that is of any use regarding Dr. Knox's premises Mark, but thought it worth mentioning.

Scott 

Thanks Scott. 

2 hours ago, Pat Atkins said:

Is that the QSA ribbon, perhaps? Not sure how colours appear in such photos mind; though I know it's been covered before, I can't really do a search just now.

Cheers, Pat

PS or India General Service Medal?

Mounted troops. Probably earlier than 1910 [the collar cut]. 5 or 6 year's good conduct

9 hours ago, Fromelles said:

"Stan and Mr Blackmur[?] in British Red Cross 1917"

British Red Cross.jpg

What are those cap badges? 

"George and Annie Woods. Bradford. 1915"

Pte. George S. Woods. 2298. R.A.M.C.  - Balkans. 10/8/1915

2019-03-16_210511 (2).jpg

10 hours ago, Pat Atkins said:

What are those cap badges? 

I wouldn't have a clue. This is about as clear as I can get them before they start turning to mush

Any ideas?

Dan

British Red Cross - DETAIL 2.jpg

British Red Cross - DETAIL.jpg

One of my favorites, great pose, great detail.

A kiwi of the 3rd (Auckland) Regiment, wearing the early pattern Service Dress tunic with the red piping of the Infantry. 

The rear of the photo, written in Biro, is what I believe to be - 

"Cook"

Family photo

ref

Sinclaires &

Cooks

I'm supposing Cook is this man's surname, but I cannot be certain of the preceding 'Sinclaire' name. 

Any thoughts appreciated

Dan

3rd (Auck) Regiment NZ Infantry.jpg

NZ.jpg

2 hours ago, Fromelles said:

British Red Cross - DETAIL.jpg

Coldstream guards?

Together with his mate Bert Yeo (post #6389), 310 Pte John Malcolm McDonald enlisted into 'B' Sqn, 9th Light Horse Regiment on the 22 Oct 14.

Born 24 Mar 1890, in Semaphore, a suburb of Adelaide, at the time was was declared John was working for the SA Government as a clerk at the Stock & Brand Department.  

Promoted prior to embarking, he arrived in Egypt as a Lance Sergeant only to be made a Sergeant soon after arrival on 17 Mar 15. Along with the regiment, he proceeded to Gallipoli on the 16 May 15, landing on 21 May 15. John was once again promoted, this time to 2nd Lieut on 17 Aug 15 and was Mentioned in Despatches (11 Dec 15). Back in Egypt, John was again promoted, this time to Lieut on 20 Feb 16. John was WIA on 9 Jan 17 (GSW L.Knee/GSW L.Thigh) which saw him returned to Australia 8 Mar 17 for a 'change' for 6 months. After rest and recuperation he embarked again from Melbourne (2 Nov 17) for Egypt, disembarking at Suez on 10 Dec 17, finally reuniting with the 9th LH Regt on the 26 Jan 18.

John was awarded the Military Cross, the citation reads:-

"On 20th September 1918, whilst the brigade was advancing from Lejjun to Jenin, a number of the enemy were observed in Bivouac in a wood. He, with two troops, galloped round to the rear of the enemy, and with the sword drove them out into the open, where the entire force, numbering 1,800 men, 200 mules, 200 horses, and a number of donkeys, surrendered. He showed great dash and initiative and set a fine example to his men."

His final promotion was to Temp Capt 1 Jan 19, and he returned to Australia 10 Jul 19. His Appointment Terminating on 10 Oct 19.

John never married and died suddenly on 27 May 1951.

310 JM McDaonald - B Sqn, 9th LH Regt.jpg