Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Dear Muerrisch,

Thanks for that.

A second son of a peer: now that's a thought!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

15 hours ago, Jools mckenna said:

"Our Captain!" 

Can anybody tell what cap badge this man is wearing? 

Scan0167.jpg

I think that he’s ASC, Jools.  The light reflecting on his Sam Browne cross strap and badges has caused a little distortion but I can see a star shape on both, collars and cap.

On 07/03/2019 at 12:24, FROGSMILE said:

I think that he’s ASC, Jools.  The light reflecting on his Sam Browne cross strap and badges has caused a little distortion but I can see a star shape on both, collars and cap.

I agree, ASC, zoomed in on the cap badge and you can just make out the ASC entwined. 

Chris

0F2Aajfngd347361_6.jpg

Thanks everyone, I agree its definitely ASC.

Postwar photo of Squadron 24(?). The man on the bottom row in the middle with an MC is squadron leader Jones-Williams. Squadron 24 was written on the back(so was S/Ldr Jones-Williams) but I can't find anything that says he served with 24 Squadron.

Scan0170.jpg

Scan0170 (2).jpg

jones-williams_1.jpg

Edited by Jools mckenna

On 19/02/2019 at 00:52, Toby Brayley said:

TF.  Would welcome the thoughts of the pals hive mind... Kitchener's or Civvys playing dress up? The civilian jackets all seem to match and he is wearing the issue Plimsoll.  They are armed with CLLEs. 

Regards

Toby 

TF what hants.jpg

Interesting photograph.

Refer to page 868 of 'Statistics 1914 - 1920', the military effort of the British Empire in the Great War.

So acute was the shortage of cloth for military uniforms at the start of the war that 500,000 suits of blue surge were obtained from the trade as this was most readily available. Even spare uniforms that the Post Office had on hand were utilized.

Regards

AlanD

Sydney

22 hours ago, AlanD said:

Interesting photograph.

Refer to page 868 of 'Statistics 1914 - 1920', the military effort of the British Empire in the Great War.

So acute was the shortage of cloth for military uniforms at the start of the war that 500,000 suits of blue surge were obtained from the trade as this was most readily available. Even spare uniforms that the Post Office had on hand were utilized.

Regards

AlanD

Sydney

Yes the Kitchener Blue was common, Alan, but it’s not what’s in view in subject photo.  If you search “Kitchener Blue” within the forum you will see it’s well covered and with numerous images to show the appearance of the uniforms.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Here is an odd one. Recorded as September 1916 on the rear of the postcard. Lance Corporal with a wound stripe.

Possibly an AIF man recovering in Scotland.

Scott

AIF Scotsman.JPG

Taken in Eastbourne 1912.

Nice snake belts.

KRRC?

Eastbourne 1912.JPG

Edited by Waddell
Added more.

Another unknown. Possibly Yeomanry?

Scott

Yeoman.JPG

Yeoman 2.JPG

Dear All,

This is Spr Piper, with interesting detail on the card (via the late Harry Piper, ex-RM)83743137_502230SprPiperF.J.T.SignalCoy.Sinai_EEF.thumb.jpg.2c0c51ea388445b68485e1f7331a5392.jpg1991981102_SapperPiperSignalCoyEEF.jpg.572625eef84ee1e54a8cd85bf7b8b86d.jpg...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

53 minutes ago, Waddell said:

Taken in Eastbourne 1912.

Nice snake belts.

KRRC?

Eastbourne 1912.JPG

Hello there,

Not KRRC because of the curved shoulder title of the man crouching on the right. Possibly a battalion of the London Regiment because of the location. Is it possible to get a close-up of one of the cap badges and/or the title?

Regards,

Chris

Chris,

Here are some close ups.

Cap badge and shoulder title.JPG

Cap badge.JPG

8 minutes ago, Waddell said:

Chris,

Here are some close ups.

Cap badge and shoulder title.JPG

Cap badge.JPG

6th Battalion, East Surrey Regiment, TF. Pete.

Thanks for the close-ups, Waddell. I was just about to say that it doesn’t look like the London Rgt. Cpl. Punishment seems to have nailed it now. 

Cheers,

Chris

1. Engineer affiliated OTC (??)  Inspection or similar , sent in 1912. Metfords and Engineer accoutrements,  note the odd bandoliers.  I found it amusing the amount of fidgeting and adjusting that is occuring in the ranks! I would welcome any thoughts on the occasion or unit! 

716968809_OTCinsopection.jpg.a427494593fc178c353023defe6d6878.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

Could the ranks have removed headdress for three cheers, and were replacing them,  idly?

Mixture of helmets and pill-box caps, with more of the latter in the crowd. Also a much older figure in the crowd, helmet and white ’tache.

Edited by daggers

1 hour ago, daggers said:

Could the ranks have removed headdress for three cheers, and were replacing them,  idly?

Mixture of helmets and pill-box caps, with more of the latter in the crowd. Also a much older figure in the crowd, helmet and white ’tache.

I agree on the hats.

Great photo, where you are drawn away from the main motif and into the periphery - a bit like Bruegel's paintings. 

Thank you Daggers, a good call I would certainly agree with with that!

Toby 

Edited by Toby Brayley

Unsent PC of Royal Warwickshire Regiment T.F . Studies of the 1903 Bandolier equipment do not come much better than this.  Double 15 round Mk1 cartridge pockets and MKIV waterbottles, they are both armed with the CLLE. 

Warwicks 03 Equipment.jpg

Great photo, it shows the woollen ‘cap comforter’ especially well.  The darker uniforms are not blues, all are SD.  I can only assume that those of darker hue are newer or made with cloth of a slightly different shade.

7 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Great photo, it shows the woollen ‘cap comforter’ especially well.  The darker uniforms are not blues, all are SD.  I can only assume that those of darker hue are newer or made with cloth of a slightly different shade.

Thanks.