Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

2 hours ago, robins2 said:

on the last close up it appears to me

that the child is holding two tubes, thus the two shadows cast on the wall and both emitting smoke????

Yes I do believe you are right. Close examination and I can see what you mean.  Well spotted!

Edited by FROGSMILE

Have you developed a stutter Frogsmile:D

For what its worth I don't think its a flag.

Edited by Gardenerbill

8 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I guess we’ll never know for sure.

Or will we? 

A friend has sent me this photo of the same scene from another angle!

(Edit to add that I was sent this after posting the 1st view here)

IMG_0966.jpg

Edited by Triumph2000

37 minutes ago, Triumph2000 said:

Or will we? 

A friend has sent me this photo of the same scene from another angle!

(Edit to add that I was sent this after posting the 1st view here)

IMG_0966.jpg

Well that is a flag....a Union Jack.

On 2 July 2018 at 00:26, Keith Brannen said:

I'd also say it is a flag or banner. The shadow it casts on the wall seems to confirm it (though I don't know whether the bottom "pole" shadow suggests a flag or banner on two poles?).

flagshadow.png.fff294041f6e669b6b4802b6680cfea3.png

The child on the right looks to be waving his flag, the child on the left appears to be pointing her? stick directly at the viewer, hence the two shadows. 

4 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

The child on the right looks to be waving his flag, the child on the left appears to be pointing her? stick directly at the viewer, hence the two shadows. 

I agree, and from the second photo, it looks to me like a second, smaller flag.

secondflag.png.fc676b8706a3064b106a57753a1264f2.png

There are two more blurred flags in the first image ....

632201484_TheAlex-2-Copy.jpg.fc247f412177cdbdd44926fb803a8bc1.jpg

971877951_TheAlex2-2-Copy.jpg.5511a9db59829642a047c227ab3def63.jpg

Mark

I would have thought that if someone had ignited a flare then at least one person in the photo would have turned to look, as Imagine it would be a bit like setting off a firework? No one seems to have heard anything which has prompted them to turn round and look. I thought the second tube-like object on the windowsill could have been a second flag rolled up and not yet unfurled?

David 

1 hour ago, GRANVILLE said:

I would have thought that if someone had ignited a flare then at least one person in the photo would have turned to look, as Imagine it would be a bit like setting off a firework? No one seems to have heard anything which has prompted them to turn round and look. I thought the second tube-like object on the windowsill could have been a second flag rolled up and not yet unfurled?

David 

I think it's clear now that the objects are two flags, one much smaller than the other ...

secondflag.png.fc676b8706a3064b106a57753

Of the flags on the vehicles, I now realise that the flag on the right hand side is larger and the Union Jack is only in its canton - probably a red ensign I think.  Its bottom edge is just to the left of my superimposed yellow box.  The larger size is obvious when you look at the blurred, sideways view on the original photo.

971877951_TheAlex2-2-Copy.jpg.5511a9db59

9 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

R.M.P armbands. 

Scan_20180711 (5).jpg

Yes, but in this case meaning Regimental Military Police and nothing to do with the MMP and MFP.  A great photo, thanks for posting.

Fine moustache on the man in the middle. The man second from left as wells as being well fed appears to have a medal ribbon as does the man far right.

Edited by Gardenerbill
tpyo

20 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

Fine moustache on the man in the middle. The man second from left as wells as being well fed appears to have a medal ribbon as does the man far right.

I can’t make out the regiment/corps.  I don’t think that they are Coldstream Guards, but it’s quite a bold star.

What's that hanging from the right breast pocket of the cheery Corporal, third from (our) left?

3 hours ago, Pat Atkins said:

What's that hanging from the right breast pocket of the cheery Corporal, third from (our) left?

It’s very likely a watch chain with a pocket fob, Pat.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 12 July 2018 at 09:29, FROGSMILE said:

In this case meaning Regimental Military Police. A great photo, thanks for posting.

You're welcome. I think the chap with the bright armband is also RMP. I'll try and post a crop of the cap badge when next I'm home. 

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

It’s very likely a watch chain with a pocket fob. 

A watch chain with a crucifix, I believe. 

8 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

You're welcome. I think the chap with the bright armband is also RMP. I'll try and post a crop of the cap badge when next I'm home. 

A watch chain with a crucifix, I believe. 

Yes a watch fob could take many forms and in this case it looks like a Celtic type cross, I agree.

Aha - thanks, folks.

Pat

On 14/07/2018 at 09:08, FROGSMILE said:

I can’t make out the regiment/corps.  I don’t think that they are Coldstream Guards, but it’s quite a bold star.

Any better?

Scan_20180711 (6).jpg

The overall shape suggests the Scots Guards.

Edited by FROGSMILE

This image predates the Great War, taken in April 1912 it depicts The Royal Fusiliers, City of London Regiment.

They had been drafted into the mining town of Leigh, Lancashire during the National Coal Strike.  They are shown

dining Alfresco in front of their billets, the newly built Windermere Road School.  The original photo is of great clarity

and clearly shows the tins of Fray Bentos bully and half loaves that have just been issued.  The local populace have gathered in

force, and a workman can be seen on the roof of a house to the top right.

Mike.

scan soldiers in leigh.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

An unusual one!  EFC, Expeditionary Forces Canteen prior to the adoption of the ASC cap badge etc.   I think I can just make out IGSM. 

EFC.jpg

First time I have seen the EFC cap badge in wear Toby, thank you for posting it.

A friend of mine bought these two postcards in Mevagissey and we are hoping someone can give us some information about them. The first one we think might be of Coldstream Guards as the cap badge appears to be in the shape of a star. The second photo is even more of a puzzle. These sailors are on board a ship, but the uniform does not appear to be Royal Navy and we wondered if it might be Merchant Marine. Look forward to hearing your ideas.

Coldstream Guards.jpg

sailors.jpg