Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

On 4/21/2018 at 18:39, Donald D said:

Private Arthur Pike, G/5677. 2nd Battalion Royal Fusiliers, died 28-06-1915. Commemerated at Helles Memorial.

The picture would look nice on the CWGC site.

Many thanks for the id Donald.

Dear All,

Here is a Postcard of my grandfather, on leave in Paris, early 1918: Australian Imperial Force Lieut. William Frederic Lindsay, 53rd Battalion, Australian Infantry.

Born 1880, he was a Citizen Military Force officer and commissioned into the all-volunteer AIF in 1914. To France in 1916 with the 6th Reinforcements for 53rd Bn., AIF.

Promoted Capt. and Coy. Cdr. shortly after the photograph was taken, he was wounded in the successful Australian attack at Peronne on 1 September 1918 (Pte Currey, 53rd Bn., won a VC). Four 53rd Bn. officers and ca. fifty O.R.s. were KiA.5add34e5204c0_LieutW.F.Lindsayprob.onleaveinParisearly1918.jpg.d3329e8ea5a2b7ab9aba4380aeb75f9c.jpg 

Several decorations were awarded for the Peronne action, including the MC for Capt. W. F. Lindsay.

He died in 1940, aged 59, as a Citizen Military Force Lieut.-Col., MC, ED.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

A mean looking 80th Division Doughboy

80thboi.jpeg

Blandford was the HQ Depot of the Royal Naval Division (there was also an establishment at the Crystal Palace in Upper Norwood, south of London).  The image is reversed.

Cpl -(Transport Sgt)  William Raymond Gingell Cossham  -  M2/104516.   A.S.C. 

Scan_20180426.jpg

Unknown corporal (?). My best guess is 19th London Regiment. I would welcome any comments as to the medals. Is it me or does his uniform appear a bit tatty. I wonder if he is back on leave to see his child.

IMG_7471.JPG

5ae687e06d1b4_medalribbon.jpg.564b87b5249ffce4676d26f3407b48fe.jpg

Edited by Drew-1918

His uniform is tailor made from a lighter (thinner) cloth I believe.  Notice the large gap between his curved shoulder patches, without the usual tucks beneath, and chest pocket tops, that themselves seem slanted to an unusual degree.  His medal ribbons suggest a former regular and might perhaps relate to India.

Edited by FROGSMILE

is he a Sgt  left arm appears to have 3 stripes??  medal ribbons look to me like QSA & KSA?? what ever they are they are they appear to be quite worn

Thank you very much, everyone.

Nice spot with the walking stick, Gardenerbill. I think you could well be right.

Very interesting uniform detail, Frogsmile. Perhaps if the uniform was tailored he was less liable to part with it, hence the slightly worn appearance?

Thanks very much, Robins2, for the details on the medals. I had no idea about those. I wondered about the stripes too in my first post. They look like corporal stripes on his right arm and sergeant ones on his left. 

Many thanks,

Chris

Edited by Drew-1918

2 hours ago, Drew-1918 said:

Thank you very much, everyone.

Nice spot with the walking stick, Gardenerbill. I think you could well be right.

Very interesting uniform detail, Frogsmile. Perhaps if the uniform was tailored he was less liable to part with it, hence the slightly worn appearance?

Thanks very much, Robins2, for the details on the medals. I had no idea about those. I wondered about the stripes too in my first post. They look like corporal stripes on his right arm and sergeant ones on his left. 

Many thanks,

Chris

The medals do look like the QSA and KSA, a good spot by Robins2. I am not 100% sure about the jacket; it seems either to be worn thin by long/hard wear and tear, or a tailor made version (each battalion tailor was required to make and mend and could make extra pay by doing so).

QSA and KSA.jpg

02 SD jacket.jpg

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 hours ago, Drew-1918 said:

They look like corporal stripes on his right arm

Definitely 3 stripes on left arm and clean and tidy., but R arm a bit of a mess. Were there any badges that went above stripes on one arm only? Could the uniform have been damaged (wounded) ?

postcardcpl.JPG.e8808d855b5fd85ab4f2335d5b4f43dc.JPG

3 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Definitely 3 stripes on left arm and clean and tidy., but R arm a bit of a mess. Were there any badges that went above stripes on one arm only? Could the uniform have been damaged (wounded) ?

It does look like there's another badge above the stripes on his right arm, but it's difficult to say what it is, perhaps a signallers crossed flags.  I think there is a third stripe on his right arm, but its partially/largely obscured by folds in the cloth.

I am sorry, I should have provided with you with the kind of close-up I could see. I thought that it was just loose thread above his stripes, but perhaps there are signallers flags there. I cannot really tell. 

Many thanks for all you help and opinions on this. 

stripes.jpg.0885258b352b3e33846c2632616381c8.jpg

5ae6f87dd2377_stripes2.png.d2e19584a1cdacc43033160775b8ed14.png

5 hours ago, Drew-1918 said:

I am sorry, I should have provided with you with the kind of close-up I could see. I thought that it was just loose thread above his stripes, but perhaps there are signallers flags there. I cannot really tell. 

Many thanks for all you help and opinions on this.

I can see now that they are indeed brass signaller’s flags, the round finials on the tops are discernible.  This makes him a battalion signals sergeant (and its (assistant) instructor too), under a junior officer (instructor of signals).

Edited by FROGSMILE

Many thanks. For someone in the know about the 19th battalion (if I am correct in that identification), that info might make him identifiable. 

Chris

Alexander Gow.  Pte. S/7774 2nd Seaforth Highlanders - A/Sgt 1/5th Seaforth Highlanders.  K.i.A  21/07/1918 Terlincthun British Cemetery, Wimille. XVI.AA.26.

Scan_20180504.jpg

Royal Naval Division Howe Battalion. A B Septimus Watson. Note the RND shoulder title used as a cap badge. A later picture showing the Howe cap badge an shoulder title. 

IMG_8619.JPG

IMG_8620.JPG

IMG_8618.JPG

RND Howe Battalion A.B Tom Storey.

IMG_8621.JPG

RND Howe Battalion. A B D Wait. Note cloth 'Howe' shoulder title

IMG_8622.JPG

IMG_8624.JPG

RND Howe battalion. A.B Joe Jackson.

IMG_8625.JPG

RND Howe Battalion. COLOUR Sergeant J Jewell

IMG_8627.JPG

and a Howe Battalion Xmas card that came with the photos above.

IMG_8629.JPG