Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

George Birdsall. Yorkshire Hussars.

Survived the war and went on to great things in the army. Here's a series of pictures of him starting from when he was with Newcastle United AFC right through his army career to his eventual rank of Sergeant Major Warrant Officer.

(edited - just to change the rank)

Birdsall_George02.jpg

Birdsall_George05.jpg

Birdsall_George06.jpg

Actually here's another one with George Birdsall. He's the Corporal in the middle, front row of this group of Yorkshire Hussars in November 1915:

yorkshussarsharrogateNov1915.jpg

Picture taken of an original card and posted elsewhere on the forum.

My Grandfather Robert Laing, Second Life Guards. Enlisted at Windsor in 1918 so this picture probably just after The War. Regards, Paul

post-14843-027970200 1287249822.jpg

George Birdsall. Yorkshire Hussars.

Survived the war and went on to great things in the army. Here's a series of pictures of him starting from when he was with Newcastle United AFC right through his army career to his eventual rank of Sergeant Major.

The last two pictures show he ranked slightly higher than Sergeant-Major at some point - he has the sleeve badges of rank up for a Warrant Officer, and the Officer quality Service Dress and Sam Browne to match.

The last two pictures show he ranked slightly higher than Sergeant-Major at some point - he has the sleeve badges of rank up for a Warrant Officer, and the Officer quality Service Dress and Sam Browne to match.

Yep, agreed. I was talking to someone whilst writing the post. Doh.

C. Harker - picture postcard (first half of his letter home) from Bangalore:

Bangalore-front-small.jpg

Bangalore-rear-small.jpg

Second half of his letter home on the back of a picture postcard of his brigade camp:

TentCity-f-small.jpg

TentCity-r-small.jpg

Thanks for the post, in the UK we call hunting with lights "lamping" not of course that I have even done it. Looks as though this will remain a mystery but thanks for the replies.

Regards

Norman

CHARLES NASH (Left)

Number 21776, Lance Serjeant, 11th Battalion South Wales Borderers, killed age 28 on the 16th October 1917 and buried in Erquinghem-Lys Military Cemetery, France.

Lived at:

22 Park Avenue

Victoria Park

Windmill Hill

Bristol

Included on St Michael & All Angels Church Roll of Honour

Windmill Hill

Bristol

5088939542_133fe2cb09.jpg

Norman

What a clear photo Chris! Looks as if it could have been taken today

A few different regiments here. Quite a few "Jocks". Have posted before but no-one was sure what the "D" armbands were, any thoughts?

My great uncle T P Carney EYR is the (Acting) RSM middle of front row. Could be late 1918, even 1919

Armbands.jpg

Could the "D" stand for Dispersal or Demobilisation? I think you are bang on with the date.

HENRY ROE

Number 826189 Bombadier "C" Battery Royal Field Artillery,killed on the 5th November 1917. Buried in . Vlamertinghe New Military Cemetery, Flanders.

Lived at:

29 Somerset Terrace,

Windmill Hill,

Bristol.

Included on St Michael & All Angels Church Roll of Honour

Windmill Hill

Bristol

Norman

Norman

I don't think this can be Henry Roe RFA, as the photo shows a corporal in the Royal Flying Corps.

Regards,

W.

Whoops, now removed.

Norman

PS The photo and the memorial plaque are in the possession of the family. I cannot see them making such a mistake so is it possible that this man transferred from the RFC to the Artillery?.

17th Div with Circular Battle Patch-unamed.

RHA RND? Unamed

ASC with FSC patch. Unamed.

RE Signal Service Unamed.

Scots Guards Pre War-a favorite despite its condition.

N or S STAFFS. Unamed.

post-11424-075827800 1287317690.jpg

post-11424-065647600 1287317766.jpg

post-11424-035569200 1287317830.jpg

post-11424-007036300 1287317895.jpg

post-11424-091756800 1287317956.jpg

post-11424-077419900 1287318032.jpg

Some from me...SWB 30th Div patch clearly shown.

post-15846-034460800 1287321511.jpg

.....C Coy, 4th Oxs and Bucks, France, Aug 1917. Though I doubt you will see the shoulder straps have coloured overlays.

TT

post-15846-025599300 1287321662.jpg

Splendid WO RFA TMB...what would be the correct term for his rank.

Written on reverse..."To dear little Clive, from dear Dadda...recieved 6th Sept 1916"

Wonderful. Hope he made it home to "dear little Clive"

TT

post-15846-093457100 1287321881.jpg

Mark...lovely cards. The RND image is nice. Re FSC...what does it stand for?

TT

Leics terrier and Welsh Regt with 38th Div patch...taken in Luton.

TT

:poppy:

post-15846-017341600 1287322589.jpg

Now you have lost me: rank badges WO I, typical appointment in cavalry was RSM ...... am I missing something here?

17th Div with Circular Battle Patch-unamed.

RHA RND? Unamed

ASC with FSC patch. Unamed.

RE Signal Service Unamed.

Scots Guards Pre War-a favorite despite its condition.

N or S STAFFS. Unamed.

Yon SG: very interesting, one GC badge, very early SD jacket with corded shoulder straps, best shot among junior ranks in the battalion. As for the shooting medals on upper arm, rarely seen on a regular soldier, usually a VF/TF affectation. BUT NO MARKSMAN BADGE! I winder if CO, Adjt or RSM considered wearing both shooting badges o.t.t? Can't believe best shot was not a marksman.

Now you have lost me: rank badges WO I, typical appointment in cavalry was RSM ...... am I missing something here?

Sorry, also lost me there - are you saying the badges are, or are not, Warrant Officers badges, regardless of actual appointment?