Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

I hope the following additions will be of interest (one or two photos forum members may recognise from earlier posts of mine!).

First off, here's my nan's uncle Percy Walford Gosling. He was a pre-war regular and served as Sapper 22035 in 11th Field Company Royal Engineers. This photo was taken in Southsea, Portsmouth in 1915; here Percy is a Lance Corporal and wearing his first good conduct stripe.

post-2839-001214300 1286827827.jpg

All the best

Steve

Here's one of my favourites; my nan's cousin William Robert Lennard. He served as Private 2212 and later 320261 in the Suffolk Yeomanry (which later became 15th Battalion Suffolk Regiment). His brother Arthur Albert Lennard also served in the Suffolk Yeomanry as a Serjeant (sadly I don't have a photo of Arthur in uniform).

post-2839-055568000 1286828424.jpg

Here's one forum members may remember me posting elsewhere.

This chap is my nan's cousin Douglas Albert Arthur Phillips looking rather resplendant in his Royal Marine Light Infantry uniform (taken in Ipswich sometime between August 1914 and when he went to Gallipoli in the Spring of 1915). Douglas enlisted in the RMLI in August 1914 and served as Private CH/18660, initially with Deal Battalion at Dunkirk and Antwerp and at Gallipoli; he then served in France with 1st Battalion RMLI on the Ancre in 1916.

Douglas was accidentally wounded in August 1916 when a rifle grenade exploded prematurely, and he later received a gun shot wound to the hand on 13th November 1916. His luck finally ran out on the 17th February 1917, and he now rests in Queen's Cemetery, Bucquoy.

post-2839-087064900 1286829072.jpg

Here is Douglas' older brother Albert Edward (Bertie) Phillips. In this first photo we see a young Bert (pre-war / early war?) serving with the Suffolk Yeomanry.

post-2839-027551400 1286829325.jpg

In this photo, taken somewhat later we see Bertie serving with a territorial Royal Field Artillery unit (I'm afraid I cannot get a decent close-up of his shoulder title to tell which one!) From the MICs by far the most likely RFA TF Brigade he served with, considering his provenance, was 1/3rd East Anglian (Howitzer) Brigade as Gunner 1371 (in 1917 renumbered to 889592).

post-2839-049065500 1286829465.jpg

This photo is perhaps, for me at least, one of the most poignant in my little collection. Here we have a family portrait of Bert with his sisters Florrie (left) and Vic (right) with their mum (my nan's aunt) Martha. This was taken in Ipswich, I believe, sometime in 1918.

Bert is still with the artillery, this time with his first good conduct stripe and a wound stripe. There's also a small diamond-shaped coloured patch on his right shoulder, which I assume is a unit / divisional identification? Bert certainly appears a lot older in this photo compared with the previous two.

Notice Douglas' RMLI cap badge being worn as a pendant by his mother, and Florrie is wearing a broach fashioned from one of his collar badges. Vic also had a broach made from the other collar badge (which I now have), but she is not wearing it here (I suspect she had a telling-off from her mum for not wearing it for the photo!).

Another brother, Donald, who served in the Royal Navy contracted tuberculosis during the war and he sadly died as a result of this in 1925.

post-2839-035958300 1286830225.jpg

Last one for now. This was in a collection of photos belonging to my late stepmum's dad (which I've posted elsewhere on the forum), it shows an unknown unit of the 11th Hussars - quite a range of characters here!

post-2839-055602500 1286831878.jpg

All the best

Steve

The Northamptonshire Regiment patch is that of the 1/4th Battalion who were part of 162nd Brigade of 54th (Eastern) Division, and who served in Gallipoli, Egypt & Palestine. As far as I know, I have not seen the patch before the Palestine campaign, but that could easily be proved wrong.

The patch is triangle and buff in colour. The whole patch is visible.

The Divisional Umbrella sign was not adopted until 1917 in any case.

The face is vaguely familiar as well....

Steve.

The Northamptonshire Regiment patch is that of the 1/4th Battalion who were part of 162nd Brigade of 54th (Eastern) Division, and who served in Gallipoli, Egypt & Palestine. As far as I know, I have not seen the patch before the Palestine campaign, but that could easily be proved wrong.

The patch is triangle and buff in colour. The whole patch is visible.

The Divisional Umbrella sign was not adopted until 1917 in any case.

The face is vaguely familiar as well....

Steve.

Steve, I hoped you might see this

I picked up a small lot of about 5 pictures together at a junk shop in Wellingborough about 20 years ago.

Here is another one - appears to show same patch (right shoulder).

post-14525-035966000 1286851717.jpg

Chris

Another one to add; this time my granddad George James (Jim) Fayers who served as Gunner 86289 in the Royal Garrison Artillery. This photo of Jim (kindly repaired by forum member Chris CPGW) was taken in Farnborough around June / July 1916 when he was in training with 162 Siege Battery at Aldershot. Jim went on to serve on the Western Front with 5 Siege Battery.

post-2839-019810100 1286867248.jpg

All the best

Steve

The tunic on the second picture of the Northamptonshire Regiment man/men looks like the paler tropical service dress/Khaki drill. The shorts is a good pointer as well.... (though of course, they were worn in summer in Europe as well)

Are there any clues as to the studio(s) they were taken in?

Steve.

Middlesex TF, bought at Ascot carboot some years ago. H E Reeve? Regards, Paul.

If it's the same chap on the photo, almost certainly Private 2790 Herbert E Reeve, later 5th London Regt; arrived in Egypt with Middlesex Regt. on 1st September 1915.

cheers

Steve

Note - the Egham reference on the postcard together with the sailing from Bristol end January / early February, plus Herbert E Reeve landing in Egypt at the beginning of September 1915 strongly suggests 2/7th Middlesex Regiment (see The Long Long Trail website)

cheers

Steve

6th Battn. Notts and Derby at Buxton. How much would the sets of webbing fetch nowadays.

post-20062-029495800 1286896814.jpg

If it's the same chap on the photo, almost certainly Private 2790 Herbert E Reeve, later 5th London Regt; arrived in Egypt with Middlesex Regt. on 1st September 1915.

cheers

Steve

Cheers Steve. Good to have a name. Herbert is now remembered and no longer unknown. Regards, Paul.

Many thanks to all, some excellent studies. Keep posting, we all would love to see more.

Regards

TT

Many thanks to all, some excellent studies. Keep posting, we all would love to see more.

Regards

TT

I have quite a few to add too, I just scanned in a couple of hundred.

Question: Is the intention to restrict this to British (Empire? Allied? etc) or are other nationalities welcomed?

The vast majority so far have been British - is this the focus? I am fine with that - just wondering.

Chris

Its aim is to remember men who served and put faces to those long gone. Also to study uniform detail. As far as I am concerned all nations are welcome. Clear studies of French , German, Austrailians etc more than welcome.

TT