The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 03:10, Gardenerbill said:

fellow countryman

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 10:49, Tomb1302 said:

is @bif situated in Texas as well

Sorry Gents, not even near TX.  Have no idea of where you can look for stuff.  On VERY few occasions I have purchased militaria (non-medals or non-books), I've used UK dealers.  :(

1 hour ago, bif said:

Sorry Gents, not even near TX.  Have no idea of where you can look for stuff.  On VERY few occasions I have purchased militaria (non-medals or non-books), I've used UK dealers.  :(

No worries bif. What UK dealers are you referring to (if it isn't private of course)?

It's quite a ways back but it used to be Wallis & Wallis in my day.

Unknowns abroad. I spy a number of Imperial Service badges. 

TF IS Tablet.jpg

Crystal clear postcard of an unknown RSM of the Royal Berkshire Regiment. The tail looks different to the usual Berkshire badge but his titles are ROYAL BERKS.  He is a Sudan (1898) and 2nd Boer War veteran, not a man to be messed with! 

RSM Berks 1.jpg

RSM Berks 2.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

I would say it is. It is a Reading Photographer, perhaps Newbury Racecourse? 

Edited by Toby Brayley

Toby:pedants corner opening up ..............

"R"SM only came into widespread use in the infantry when CSMs were invented 1913/4.

This formidable gentleman is the Sergeant-Major with the pre-May 1915 rank badge.

I know you know all this but other readers may not. I hope it is worth banging on about.

Edited by Muerrisch
erratum

8 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

"R"SM only came into widespread use in the infantry when CSMs were invented 1913/4.

This formidable gentleman is the Sergeant-Major with the pre-May 1915 rank badge.

I know you know all this but other readers may not. I hope it is worth banging on about.

It certainly is worth mentioning. Despite numerous discussions It is still obviously confuses me! 

Latest arrival is a Devons group  post 1912. Nothing too special at first glance , but on closer inspection there is a set of early 1908 webbing with straight tabs and flared shoulder straps and the unusual combination of 5 and 7 button frocks worn at home. 

Devons group.jpg

Devons group 2.jpg

Devons group 3.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

Great pictures Toby, thank you for posting them.  I especially appreciated the photo of the R Berks Sergeant Major of battalion, as it shows clearly how at first, the standard ORs 1902 drab serge service dress (SD) was worn by those of his rank, rather than the officer’s pattern (albeit usually with modification) that was adopted subsequently.  Photographic evidence suggests that this was a gradual change, but by 1914 regular army infantry battalions and cavalry had largely adopted that policy.  Nevertheless, it was far from universal during the war and even as late as 1918 some WOs1 were still seen wearing OR’s SD.

Edited by FROGSMILE

French and British Troops Mingling. (I have 6 other photos by the same unknown photographer, in which 2 others have French and English troops together in the photos) 

Depot.jpg

French officer(maybe general) eating with a British officer.

General.jpg

Edited by Jools mckenna

On 17/01/2019 at 14:41, Muerrisch said:

In a newspaper search recently I came across the rank of 'CSM-Guard' in the context of pre-war territorials/volunteers.

The pic below is from the 1st Hampshire Artillery Volunteers dated 1907 and this chap is wearing what looks like an RMP armband and I wondered if this could be the CSM Guard?

1st HAV became Hants RGA TF in 1908 and 154th Heavy Battery RGA in 1916.

Regards

Alan.

1hav.JPG

'Dugout made by the 12/71 Génie at Souain'

Dugout.jpg

Edited by Jools mckenna

'Souain'

Lourain.jpg

Edited by Jools mckenna

I'll just post the last 3 together as only 1 has soldiers in uniform.

French troops.jpg

Explosion.jpg

Civilians.jpg

2/Lt Lloyd Edward Lewis 1/5th Bn Notts and Derby Regt KiA 24th September 1918 aged 20. Clear shot of the battalion patch. 

Lewis.jpeg

Edited by mark holden

A postcard from Eastbourne, the photographer's name has been torn off one corner, but his studios were at 19 Elm Buildings, Eastbourne.

Ambiguously entitled  "11th Battalion Royal Welch Regiment at Eastbourne 26.9.[Year disappeared in a hole in Postcard, but I assume 1914?]."

Welsh Regiment or RWF? I think 11th Battalions of both regiments were in Eastbourne in late 1914.

I am intrigued by some of the facial expressions in the back row, particularly the 5th recruit from the left who has a rather menacing look. Either that or his head has been Photoshopped in!

I assume the sender was standing far right (marked with a cross), but have no idea who he was or where they might be from. The card was discovered in a local historical society's archives, so there might be (or not) a West Wales connection

11th Royal Welsh Regiment(Sm).jpg

11 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

A postcard from Eastbourne, the photographer's name has been torn off one corner, but his studios were at 19 Elm Buildings, Eastbourne.

Ambiguously entitled  "11th Battalion Royal Welch Regiment at Eastbourne 26.9.[Year disappeared in a hole in Postcard, but I assume 1914?]."

Welsh Regiment or RWF? I think 11th Battalions of both regiments were in Eastbourne in late 1914.

I am intrigued by some of the facial expressions in the back row, particularly the 5th recruit from the left who has a rather menacing look. Either that or his head has been Photoshopped in!

I assume the sender was standing far right (marked with a cross), but have no idea who he was or where they might be from. The card was discovered in a local historical society's archives, so there might be (or not) a West Wales connection

The solitary cap badge on view is that of the Welsh Regiment.  I think the photographer merely added the ‘Royal’, a common mistake among those with little knowledge of the military.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 19/01/2019 at 10:55, Alan24 said:

In a newspaper search recently I came across the rank of 'CSM-Guard' in the context of pre-war territorials/volunteers.

The pic below is from the 1st Hampshire Artillery Volunteers dated 1907 and this chap is wearing what looks like an RMP armband and I wondered if this could be the CSM Guard?

1st HAV became Hants RGA TF in 1908 and 154th Heavy Battery RGA in 1916.

Regards

Alan.

It’s a very odd photo Alan.  The man’s badge of rank was until 1915, that of a Battery Sergeant Major (BSM), and yet he is wearing the armlet Regimental Military Police (RMP), the section of the unit responsible for exercising discipline.  The senior man of the section was usually a sergeant, who more usually wore an armlet with RPS (Regimental Provost Sergeant).  However, there does not seem to have been any enforced standardisation at that time and units often made up their own armlets locally.  Regulars tended to be a bit more consistent, probably because they were overseen by standing headquarters in a way that VF/TF were not.

Edited by FROGSMILE

8 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

The solitary cap badge on view is that of the Welsh Regiment.  I think the photographer merely added the ‘Royal’, a common mistake among those with little knowledge of the military.

Thanks FS,

I did suspect as much.

Lancs .Fusiliers L/Cpl, Stretcher Bearer and father ?  The L/Cpl. wears a unit patch. 

Scan_20190119 (3).jpg

I'd have this as father and son(s). The man standing on the right has a likeness to the older man seated; to my eye anyway.

Without being rude or wishing to cause offence, they're both a little on the 'portly' side, maybe not by today's standards but compared to other WW1 photos?