Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Brecknocks or Monmouths, probably the latter.

brecknocks pc pick up oct 2018 wm sv.jpg

Inns of Court OTC digging training trenches in the show

doc scan 1b WM sV.jpg

Just now, Jerry B said:

Inns of court OTC undergoing gas hood training

This is just a simply amazing shot thank you for posting!

4 hours ago, Toby Brayley said:

This is just a simply amazing shot thank you for posting!

Thanks Toby.  I agree, a great shot and the detail on the original of those in the foreground is very sharp, which is lost a bit posting it here.

NCO's of the Brecknock Battlion south Wales Borderers, at Camp at Poth Madoc.  .  An interesting selection of rank insignia, long service and Boer War medals on show, as well as dragon collar badges and the T over Brecknocks shoulder title and I know they were there in July 1914 and as they they have the T over titles this must be after 1908 and therefore summer 1914 seems bout right. The Brecknocks Bn was formed from the old 1st Volunteer Bn of the South Wales Borderers.

brecknocks nco group mv wm.jpg

interesting they wear rank insignia on only one arm???

2 hours ago, robins2 said:

interesting they wear rank insignia on only one arm???

IIRC as per Dress Regulations

2 hours ago, MBrockway said:

IIRC as per Dress Regulations

Yes, it’s because they are wearing the final pattern of undress frock (very probably scarlet serge - note different shade (likely green) mitred cuff), rather than drab service dress.  Interestingly it must be a pattern purchased by the local County Territorial Association, as the chest pocket flaps are square, rather than the more usual/common scalloped pattern generally worn by regulars.

603454BF-32AE-45D6-B82F-822402CE21A3.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Yes, undress frock. Man at back left seems to have a LI bugle badge. Next is probably a Permanent Staff regular, with Musketry instructor badge. Strange that no SNCO has the Proficient star over chevrons.

19 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

Yes, undress frock. Man at back left seems to have a LI bugle badge. Next is probably a Permanent Staff regular, with Musketry instructor badge. Strange that no SNCO has the Proficient star over chevrons.

I think they are Sergeant Bugler, rather than Drummer (as former RVC retained the Rifles traditions), and a regular Musketry Sergeant, as you say.  The elderly gentleman with white cap cover (introduced in 1902) is almost certainly the battalion Quartermaster.

Edited by FROGSMILE

10 hours ago, Jerry B said:

Inns of Court OTC digging training trenches in the show

doc scan 1b WM sV.jpg

Hi Jerry,

I missed the end of the auction! Did you buy any of the other cards in the collection? I bought a couple.

I believe the chap in the trench nearest the camera was the subject of the collection;  2Lt.  Stewart Lenton Blaxley.   Inns of Court OTC. 22/11/15 -  22//16.  France. 10/1/17.  K.i.A 23/4/17.  2/4th R.W.F.

In my postcard he is standing rear row, 3rd from left, outside  No.13 Ward, No.2 Stationary Hospital. 

Scan_20181101 (3).jpg

He didn’t last long in France did he!  Do you know if he died at the hospital? He looks reasonably well in the photo.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 31/10/2018 at 14:35, Toby Brayley said:

A brilliant posed shot of Terriers at play.   A great shot of the CLLE.  Sadly I cant make out the STs. 

posed terriers.jpg

Great photo. Is the man in the white smock playing at medic? 

2 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

He didn’t last long in France did he!  Do you know if he died at the hospital? He looks reasonably well in the photo.

Recovering wounded in the photo. KiA shortly after returning to 4th RWF. 

Hi Jerry,

I missed the end of the auction! Did you buy any of the other cards in the collection? I bought a couple.

I believe the chap in the trench nearest the camera was the subject of the collection;  2Lt.  Stewart Lenton Blaxley.   Inns of Court OTC. 22/11/15 -  22//16.  France. 10/1/17.  K.i.A 23/4/17.  2/4th R.W.F.

In my postcard he is standing rear row, 3rd from left, outside  No.13 Ward, No.2 Stationary Hospital. 

I did win a few of his items.  I was really sorry to see the seller had split up the group, a shocking disregard for history IMO.

3 hours ago, Scalyback said:

Great photo. Is the man in the white smock playing at medic? 

Yes I believe he is!

40 minutes ago, Jerry B said:

Hi Jerry,

I did win a few of his items.  I was really sorry to see the seller had split up the group, a shocking disregard for history IMO.

Indeed. 

5 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Recovering wounded in the photo. KiA shortly after returning to 4th RWF. 

From his record at Kew I believe that he is one of mine. I found no trace of 4th battalion. There is widespread belief "out there" that he was with the 4th, and I wonder where that came from. The hard core original documents are his record at the NA and the War Diary. Both agree with me.

I suspect that you know more than I do, please do tell:

BLAXLEY SL

Birth Cert 01 06 85 Northampton father shoe manufacturer.

Inns of Court OTC as Pte 7647, 3 Coy

Oct /Nov 1915 5ft 3ins, 30 years 5 months, chest 34 ins, compact build

was a Solicitor

Home 22 11 15 to 22 11 16

reported 2nd RWF 22 01 1917

.      OC 2nd RWF reports Blaxley kia 23 04 17 in 2nd RWF War Diary etc. "Battle of the Barricades". 4 officers kia, 7 officers wounded, 32 OR killed,        70    wounded.

Left a Will gross £411    Sister sole executrix

WANCOURT special memorial 74 [as RWF]

Edited by Muerrisch
addendum

2 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

From his record at Kew I believe that he is one of mine. I found no trace of 4th battalion. There is widespread belief "out there" that he was with the 4th, and I wonder where that came from. The hard core original documents are his record at the NA and the War Diary. Both agree with me.

I suspect that you know more than I do, please do tell:

BLAXLEY SL

Birth Cert 01 06 85 Northampton father shoe manufacturer.

Inns of Court OTC as Pte 7647, 3 Coy

Oct /Nov 1915 5ft 3ins, 30 years 5 months, chest 34 ins, compact build

was a Solicitor

Home 22 11 15 to 22 11 16

reported 2nd RWF 22 01 1917

.      OC 2nd RWF reports Blaxley kia 23 04 17 in 2nd RWF War Diary etc. "Battle of the Barricades". 4 officers kia, 7 officers wounded, 32 OR killed,        70    wounded.

Left a Will gross £411    Sister sole executrix

WANCOURT special memorial 74 [as RWF]

His MIC has him as 4th/RWF as does his calling card which I own,as does his CWGC entry which has him as 4th RWF though a letter written to his parents was from Lt Colonel W B Garnett who was oc 2/RWF.  I assume he was transferred from 4th to 2nd without that being noted on some of his records.

doc scan 5.jpg

Edited by Jerry B

looking again at all the documents etc that were sold as individual lots, I notice on one of them (I copied them all) that he is listed as 2/RWF, though all the others seem to have him as 4/RWF.

The 4th bn war diary should note his arrival and departure.

Any idea when he was hospitalized please?

Presumably both events 12 11 1916 onwards, perhaps 4th bn then injured then hosp then 2nd

Edited by Muerrisch
Addendum

The calling card states 4th Reserve which is surely the 3rd line battalion of the 4th and not the 1st 4th battalion? I.e. his first RWF posting being the 4th Reserve in the UK and then posted to the 2nd Bn overseas.

3/4th, 3/5th, 3/6th and 3/7th Battalions
Formed in Wrexham, Flint, Carnarvon and Newtown in March, May (3/6th) and June (3/7th) 1915 respectively.
8 April 1916 : became 4th – 7th Reserve Battalions.
1 September 1916 : 4th absorbed the 5th, 6th and 7th Bns, in the Welsh Reserve Brigade at Oswestry. Moved in March 1918 to Kinmel (Rhyl) and in July 1918 to Herne Bay in Kent.

I think that Hywyn has interpreted this correctly.  From 4th (Res) Bn to 2nd Reg Bn entirely as per usual procedure.

1 hour ago, Muerrisch said:

Any idea when he was hospitalized please?

Presumably both events 12 11 1916 onwards, perhaps 4th bn then injured then hosp then 2nd

Hi no idea when he was wounded, both events 10/1/17 onwards. 

43 minutes ago, Hywyn said:

The calling card states 4th Reserve which is surely the 3rd line battalion of the 4th and not the 1st 4th battalion? I.e. his first RWF posting being the 4th Reserve in the UK and then posted to the 2nd Bn overseas.

SDGW lists him as 4th (Denbigshire) Battalion (Territorial). Soldiers' Effects has him as 2/4th (Home service!)

2 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

Do you know if there is mention of him in the 2nd Batt. Diary