Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

10 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

As well as black buttons, the two ‘old’ rifle regiments did not wear collar badges Kim, and that seems to be the case here.  Some (but not all) Rifle battalions within the London Regiment followed suit and, similarly some Rifle battalions of the British-Indian army.  Without close ups of the buttons precise design, or a cap badge, it is difficult to say more than that.  I do recall that the KRRC used very small rank stars/pips like those in this case.

I echo all of this but I'm away from home just now.  I'll see what I can find once back.

Mark

On 09/10/2018 at 09:24, MBrockway said:

I echo all of this but I'm away from home just now.  I'll see what I can find once back.

Mark

Sorry - no further forward on this.  Several Cliffords in the officer corps of the 60th, but yet to find a wife called Baillie, Baillis, or similar.  The closest I've found was a Mabel, and even there it was very doubtful if the spouse was actually the matching KRRC Clifford.

Not given up yet though!

On 10/12/2010 at 17:24, john gregory said:

35943 Corp Bernard Arthur Minnitt M.M. 11th Battn. N/Derby. Also awarded the M.C. as Lieut. with 18th Battn. KRRC.

post-20062-005935900 1292001832.jpg

DSC01222.jpg

A couple of unknowns. 

A nice look at the mounted greatcoat. 

sell 2.jpg

sell 1.jpg

An unknown West Yorks

Chap in the 1903 Bandolier has Regimental buttons and a shoulder title that I just can't decipher. (ASC?)  

sell 4.jpg

sell 3.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

The bandolier wearer seems an unusual one to me Toby.  The ST does not look like block letters, but more like a style of script.

On 04/01/2018 at 23:35, GWF1967 said:

Royal Artillery Territorials.  Can anyone help please with:

1.Cpl. with Trade badge. G? in wreath, crown over?

2. Rank/Title for this chap please. 

Scan_20180104 (5).jpg

Scan_20180104 (6).jpg

Scan_20180104 (8).jpg

is it, perhaps a Layers badge?

in the 1950's the badge was worn on the upper arm

9 hours ago, Gunner P said:

The lowermost chap is an RA Trumpet-major with a good view of the RA configuration of badges for that appointment.

A layer’s badge was based on a cursive ‘L’ rather than a ‘G’.  I seem to recall that the G with star or crown is a ‘Gunnery’ prize badge of some kind.  1st Prize Individual Gunner?

C4D375D4-2583-4455-80C6-CEDDE6231388.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

4 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

The lowermost chap is an RA Trumpet-major with a good view of the RA configuration of badges for that appointment.

A layer’s badge was based on a cursive ‘L’ rather than a ‘G’.  I seem to recall that the G with star or crown is a ‘Gunnery’ prize badge of some kind.  1st Prize Individual Gunner?

C4D375D4-2583-4455-80C6-CEDDE6231388.jpeg

I was sure I recognised the Trumpet-Major - it took a few seconds to twig it was one of my cards. 

Many thanks for id-ing the gunnery badge. 

R.G.A. M.M. winner and wife; 

Scott & Wilkinson & Co. Photographer. Cambridge.

Scan_20181023 (4).jpg

signed on reverse "Robert R Fitzgerald October 21st 1914" a great view of the 1st Class Scout Badge.

Robert R Fitzgerald October 21st 1914 Scout.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

I am convinced this is an ASC cap badge (uniform and accouterments would also suggest this), but I can't make out the titles.

Jolly ASC.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

Another unknown,  appears to be wearing the Naval 1901 Pattern belt so possible RND

Possible RND.jpg

26 minutes ago, Toby Brayley said:

Another unknown,  appears to be wearing the Naval 1901 Pattern belt so possible RND

I can clearly make out a 3-row TF title Toby, so not RND.  Sadly the details are indiscernible though, as you say.

Edited by FROGSMILE

55 minutes ago, Toby Brayley said:

I am convinced this is an ASC cap badge (uniform and accouterments would also suggest this), but I can't make out the titles.

The ST is distinctly curved Toby, and I don't think that we should rule out Yeomanry Cavalry.  We need to look for a unit with a star shaped badge.

Just now, FROGSMILE said:

I can clearly make out a 3-row TF title Toby, so not RND.  Sadly the details are indiscernible though, as you say.

Agreed, a rather large TF title it is! Thank you.

Title.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

Just now, FROGSMILE said:

The ST is distinctly curved Toby, and I don't think that we should rule out Yeomanry Cavalry.  We need to look for a unit with a star shaped badge.

N.S.Y perhaps?

Edited by Toby Brayley

11 minutes ago, Toby Brayley said:

N.S.Y perhaps?

Bang on the nail methinks.  A few photos of that unit here: https://sites.google.com/site/samwaysww1/home

0aayzhghjgfjhf9999805_13.jpg

NSY ST.jpg

Edited by FROGSMILE

A brilliant posed shot of Terriers at play.   A great shot of the CLLE.  Sadly I cant make out the STs. 

posed terriers.jpg

I've definitely seen this photo on the forum before, no idea how to find it though.

Derek.

Just now, Derek Black said:

I've definitely seen this photo on the forum before, no idea how to find it though.

Derek.

Well remembered. Post #5670. I will have to put it down to my old age! 

Regards Toby

"209767 Pte. R. Glithro. Coy 660 MT ASC Heavy Repairs. Salonic"

DM2/209767 - Roper Glithro.   Pre-War Blacksmith.    A.S.C. Blacksmith Class 2. 

B. Yaxley, Huntingdonshire.  Jan.1887.    D. Hunts. 11/11/1986. 

The postcard was addressed to 109548 Alexander Lambie (B. Paisley 1886). C Coy, 5th Reserve Battalion D.L.I.  Sutton on (the) Hill. East Yorkshire;

then re-addressed to Mr C. Gabney. 3 Camphill. Paisley. Never posted. 

Scan_20181026 (3).jpg

7 hours ago, Toby Brayley said:

A brilliant posed shot of Terriers at play.   A great shot of the CLLE.  Sadly I cant make out the STs. 

posed terriers.jpg

Hi Toby, I think the title is T over Herts.