Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Speaking of Cameronians! 

5th Cameronians (Scottish Rifles). I think it's the 2/5th at Terling, Essex in 1916.

Scan_20180904 (2).jpg

Scan_20180904.jpg

Excellent detail, including a piper wearing a kilt, and regimental hose tops with puttees in the lowermost photo.  Thank you for posting. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

Nothing too exciting from me today. 

An unknown  Officer.

RA Officer.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

8 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Excellent detail, including a piper wearing a kilt, and regimental hose tops with puttees in the lowermost photo.  Thank you for posting. 

Tartan or diced hose tops with puttees were commonly seen on parade between the wars, but this is the first time I have seen this arrangement during WW1.

38 minutes ago, gordon92 said:

Tartan or diced hose tops with puttees were commonly seen on parade between the wars, but this is the first time I have seen this arrangement during WW1.

Yes, the same for me.  It must be one of the earliest sightings and so probably not that long after their introduction.  Puttees were only authorised for Home Establishment unit’s in 1902 and wearing hose tops did not follow until later.

Edited by FROGSMILE

The [Scottish Rifles] photo's also a good example of seeing a rifle regiment wearing BOTH blackened rifles buttons AND standard GS brass buttons in the same shots.

On 25/09/2018 at 15:55, MBrockway said:

The [Scottish Rifles] photo's also a good example of seeing a rifle regiment wearing BOTH blackened rifles buttons AND standard GS brass buttons in the same shots.

Good observation.  Without actually doing a count, I would give an eyeball estimate of about a 50-50 split.

15 hours ago, gordon92 said:

Good observation.  Without actually doing a count, I would give an eyeball estimate of about a 50-50 split.

Plenty of photos of the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) in the war show a mix! Here are some I pulled from the internet.

cameronians1917france1.jpg

JS74764378.jpg

2 hours ago, AmericanTommy said:

Plenty of photos of the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) in the war show a mix! Here are some I pulled from the internet.

I mentioned it as a further example of the rule that while blackened buttons point to the soldier being in a Rifles regiment, absence of blackened buttons does not prove he's not.

Images showing a mix of buttons across a group are not unusual from all the Rifle regiments - see the Rifles buttons topic.

If a single dark button is seen, with the rest being GS, then it's a mourning button.

A good and unusual view of a RE (TF) sergeant-major’s badge of rank adjacent to the central figure, Toby.  All the men must have been in scarlet that day as they all wear dark blue trousers and you can clearly see the RE’s wider scarlet stripe down the outer seam of the man seated on a coil of rope at left.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Just now, FROGSMILE said:

A good and unusual view of a RE (TF) sergeant-major’s badge of rank adjacent to the central figure, Toby.

I purchased it for that very reason, following our recent discussion! 

Regards

Toby 

1 minute ago, Toby Brayley said:

I purchased it for that very reason, following our recent discussion! 

Regards

Toby 

A good purchase for several reasons, not least that they were wearing scarlet at camp as late as 1914!

• 2 weeks later...

Royal Artillery front row, his pal is wearing his cap. Several of the men in civvies appear to be wearing a Silver War Badge.

Scan_20181005 (2).jpg

Scan_20181005 (12).jpg

Royal Scots Fusiliers and Army Service Corps.  Marseille. August 1915.

There appears to be a family resemblance. 

Scan_20181005 (8).jpg

On 24/09/2018 at 20:43, AmericanTommy said:

Speaking of Cameronians! 

5th Cameronians (Scottish Rifles). I think it's the 2/5th at Terling, Essex in 1916.

Scan_20180904 (2).jpg

Scan_20180904.jpg

What is the badge worn on the left arm of the chap about 3 in from the right kneeling not sitting?

Chris

1 hour ago, Dragoon said:

What is the badge worn on the left arm of the chap about 3 in from the right kneeling not sitting?

Chris

It’s the double bugle badge of a rifle regiment bugler, Chris. You can see the top of the opposing badge on his right upper arm. Badges were in cloth, bullion and metal.

1FF84B6D-3330-4356-99A5-4119AC0D582B.jpeg

B2B21E29-A2BD-4663-89C6-CE22E15FC6E9.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

As always thanks to all that have posted in this thread.

One of my favourite by far.

Cheers all.

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

It’s the double bugle badge of a rifle regiment bugler, Chris. You can see the top of the opposing badge on his right upper arm. Badges were in cloth, bullion and metal.

1FF84B6D-3330-4356-99A5-4119AC0D582B.jpeg

B2B21E29-A2BD-4663-89C6-CE22E15FC6E9.jpeg

Good man FROGSMILE! Yes it is, I can see it now.

Cheers for that

Chris

Dear All,

I acquired this rather nice postcard in 1990 at Pickett's Lock for four Pounds (the dealer wanted five).

The officer, whose first name was 'Clifford'101447249_LovefromBarbeClifford.jpg.7e6229efb0b42f7e7f25ccf34bf52ee3.jpg171448326_LovefromBarbeCliffordrev.jpg.475ae91f8e106302f6107d855f6adc16.jpg, was possibly Indian Army. One can see an Overseas Service chevron on the right lower-arm, and a Wound Stripe on the left...

His wife or perhaps fiancee, signed herself as 'Barbe'.

I would be delighted if one or more GWF aficionados would care to comment!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

As well as black buttons, the two ‘old’ rifle regiments did not wear collar badges Kim, and that seems to be the case here.  Some (but not all) Rifle battalions within the London Regiment followed suit and, similarly some Rifle battalions of the British-Indian army.  Without close ups of the buttons precise design, or a cap badge, it is difficult to say more than that.  I do recall that the KRRC used very small rank stars/pips like those in this case, although standard cuff rank was more common.  See enclosed example from 1917.

0645A567-0210-4946-B3E7-FF7CFE893EAE.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

M.T. A.S.C. 1916  "Berlin"  non Stop. The truck appears to be a Daimler.

Scan_20181005 (10).jpg

Edited by GWF1967

Hugh Oswald Bareham. Saddler/Driver 103484. 35th Bde. R.F.A.  

He wears a mourning button; perhaps for his brother Walter Charles Bareham. 80403. Essex Yeomanry. K.i.A. 11/4/1917.

IMG_0824.png