Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

A typical indoor billet making use of a gymnasium.

Sorry - hunted through The Times for Easter 1913, but I failed to find any reference to Royal Fusilier camps, or to Hoylake.

Since 7/RF (formerly the Royal London Militia) had their depot in the imposing 'castle' on City Road next to the HAC,  Hoylake on the Wirral seems a rather unusual place to head to for a training camp.   It's a good 200 miles away.

So far I cannot locate a drill hall there, though a company of the 1st VB, Cheshire Regiment was apparently based in Hoylake.

The TAVR used to be on Arrowe Park Road, Upton, about 5 miles to the E.  Gone now and I'm not sure if it was there in 1913.

There was also Bidston Army Camp adjacent to Bidston Station also about 5 miles away.  Again I'm sure if that dates back to 1913.  Looks unlikely.

Tried my best to improve the visibility of the handwritten annotation on the photo, but couldn't get the 'Hoylake' part any clearer.  How confident are you that this is actually what it says?

If the photo is actually in London, but not in the Royal London Militia depot, then the 1913 map shows a Drill Hall in the block between Lamb's Passage and Bunhill Row, about 400 ys to the SW.  There are also the HAC facilities adjacent, as well as the KRRC's 1st Cadet Bn drill hall in Sun Street, approx 400 yds to the SE beyond Finsbury Square.(

Mark

15 hours ago, Stoppage Drill said:

A single Marine standing right rear ?

Good spot! Perhaps RMA? 

Looking at the cap badges these men are either, all RMA, or more likely 7th (City of London) Battalion, The London Regiment (‘shiny seventh’), as the badges flame shape is not Royal Fusiliers.  The man

wearing a Brodrick cap is perhaps the same unit and wearing a blue frock.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Wearing a Brodrick in 1913 ?

Possibly, in the sense that some TF units were delayed in receiving new equipment depending on the largesse of their County Association.  Alternatively, they might be RMA, as mentioned.  My main point is that their badge is not that of the Royal Fusiliers.

43 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

I reckon I can see an RMA collar badge

That would make sense because I’m not that sure that the TF were ever issued with the Brodrick.

8 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Looking at the cap badges these men are - 7th (City of London) Battalion, The London Regiment (‘shiny seventh’), as the badges flame shape is not Royal Fusiliers.  

Quite correct; They are London T.F. 

The clearest bit of the notation to the front of the card - "7th City Battalion" I don't know why I wrote R.F but have amended my post. 

4 hours ago, Stoppage Drill said:

I reckon I can see an RMA collar badge

I don't know if this helps.

Scan_20180808 (7).jpg

10 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Scan_20180808 (7).jpg

I’m unsure what type of collar badge the OR’s of the 7th London’s wore, but here is an officer.

6770C46D-AA0F-4D02-97D2-2B57B95C59AC.jpeg

And here are some more images of other ranks.

4BB90948-8767-47A5-9536-F561388EFABE.jpeg

61945937-C99B-41A8-B683-D81A452DAE3F.jpeg

14 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Scan_20180808 (7).jpg

Its that odd single pocketed RM Frock, RMA 

Edited by Toby Brayley

35 minutes ago, Toby Brayley said:

Thanks. 

7 hours ago, Toby Brayley said:

That fits better with the Brodrick cap.  The more I think about it I don’t believe I’ve ever seen an image of TF wearing it.

Edited by FROGSMILE

17 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Quite correct; They are London T.F. 

The clearest bit of the notation to the front of the card - "7th City Battalion" I don't know why I wrote R.F but have amended my post. 

Doh!  There's an hour or two researching the 7/RF I won't get back :(

The Shiny Seventh's drill hall was also at Sun Street just off Finsbury Square.  7/LR were at No 24, the 1st Cadet Bn., KRRC, were at No 42.  All now underneath the Broadgate complex.  7/LR were ex VF rather than 7/RF ex militia.

Any chance you could post a re-scan of the bottom section of your postcard where the lettering is?  With a better scan I might make some better headway on deciphering what it actually says.

Mark

Edited by MBrockway

Here's Drew-1918's 7/Londons full dress post on our London Regiment full dress topic   ...

924C9D4D-FB44-4DC9-A39E-E5D4FC8F4EC6.jpe

Edited by MBrockway
Image replaced with new, correctly titled version

4 hours ago, MBrockway said:

Doh!  There's an hour or two researching the 7/RF I won't get back :(

Any chance you could post a re-scan of the bottom section of your postcard where the lettering is?  With a better scan I might make some better headway on deciphering what it actually says.

Mark

My humble apologies for wasting your time;  I'll post a crop of the lettering in a day or two when I'm next home. 

I am posting the following in reference to GWF1967’s postcard of the 7th London Rgt with the Royal Marine. 

Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers, QWR, LRB, QVR (I believe), and a naval rating. 

36BD44C9-C726-4201-A123-EAA1C0C3941C.jpeg.6963896f29e7b60ff12098e8b8cbee67.jpeg

(7th London diagram corrected. Thanks, Mark). 

Edited by Drew-1918

Unknown RA.

RA 1910.jpg

On 20/08/2018 at 23:09, Drew-1918 said:

(7th London diagram corrected. Thanks, Mark). 

... and the corrected diagram linked above instead.  Thanks Chris!

Dear All,

On the outbreak of war, one of the first duties of my grandfather, 2nd Lt William Frederic Lindsay, seen wearing his Militia officers' uniform, was to guard the Small Arms Factory at Lithgow, near Sydney. 

Kindest regards,

Kim.839102889_19142LtW.F.Lindsayand41BnMiltiatroopsguardingLithgowSAFactory.jpg.07d8084e7d7dbb94a806670f7897bcbd.jpg

Some of the officers in this photograph may well have served in WW1. I suspect it was taken early 1900s - and was at a camp witness the bell tents in the background. Some wear ranks on their shoulder and the officer front left has his on the cuff as does the  officer with the pill box cap who I presume is RHA, but I may be mistaken.

Comments invited.

TRIMG_0012.thumb.jpg.292ee44b376755653f55e7c6f79c870b.jpg