Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Thanks Derek. I could see the number one , but not the rest. I have been doing a bit of digging and and found  an interesting archive which I will post in the medical section.

TR

20 hours ago, Derek Black said:

It looks like  a "1" SJAB to my eyes.

Cheers,

Derek.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

15 hours ago, squirrel said:

Five RFC men as well.'

Also a New Zealander and I think three Americans.

1 hour ago, wainfleet said:

Also a New Zealander and I think three Americans.

17 hours ago, squirrel said:

Five RFC men as well.'

Do you mean in the pic I posted above in #5701? Sorry, I’m a bit slow on the uptake! 

32 minutes ago, squirrel said:

Yes - post 5701.

Excellent, thank you. 

The faux tudor woodwork reminds me a little of the Officers' Mess at Netheravon, although the building is clearly different.  

R.F.A. - T.M.B. Signaller 

Scan_20180627 (6).jpg

T - R.G.A.  Anti- Aircraft Section with a tarpaulin covered lorry mounted A.A. gun in the background.

A.A.S shoulder titles on the two men standing far right, also two men with M.G. qualification badges.

Scan_20180628.jpg

Reviving this discussion higher up from a few months back on the rank badges of the 1/KRRC warrant officers and staff serjeants seen in Drew's lovely group photo in camp on Cannock Chase in 1919, specifically the Bugle Major ....

[the main discussion is from Post #5441, though this was a month after Drew first posted the photo]

On 24/03/2018 at 13:21, MBrockway said:

<snip>

I also agree that the chap at the RH end of the rear-most rank is a real conundrum! 

5ab624b8697f2_1-KRRCSerjeantsMess(probably)1918-1919-oldRQMSbadgePalDrew-1918.jpg.e0e7032fe9ecb38593aa02474b6d07fb.jpg

• Blackened buttons, so probably Rifles,
  • Plain cap badge, not corded boss, so (in 1918/1919) CQMS or lower - i.e. not WO II
  • no inverted chevrons visible on upper sleeve, so CSM or higher - i.e. WO II or WO I - or plain Rifleman
  • two chevrons visible on lower sleeve with an additional badge above
  • that additional badge on the lower left arm is too clear to be a blemish on the photograph
  • Good Conduct stripes would not be seen on a member of the Serjeants' Mess

<snip>

The other option that springs to mind is the Bugle Major badge - four chevrons with a pair of intertwined bugles above.  IIRC the Bugle Major appointment, while often a WO, could technically be held by any rank from Serjeant up.  Again, IIRC, the Bugle Major badge only has the additional crown etc. if the wearer is of WO or Colour/Staff Serjeant rank.  In full dress, the Bugle Major badge is only worn on the right lower sleeve.  I have no information whether it was worn on both sleeves in SD.  By their very nature, Bugle Majors in formal photographs tend to be dressed to the nines looking splendid in their full rig with rifle busby etc., so I have never spotted a Bugle Major badge on khaki!  I'll include this in my RQMS archive trawl too!

<snip>

Mark

On 24/03/2018 at 13:46, Drew-1918 said:

Added via iphone so I am not sure of quality or about how these appear on a desktop computer. Will correct if

need be when I get internet. 

Let me know if I have missed any close-ups you wanted.

IMG_0964.PNG.31257584290f0b545f8a292c8cec8db4.PNG

On 24/03/2018 at 14:10, MBrockway said:

Bingo!  That's definitely the double bugle badge!

GM                                                                          Worsted (drawing of)

5ab65b548eba7_RiflesBuglerbadgeJON188BBF.jpg.86fb437a90b72b426ac0c0abd0004d9e.jpg5ab65b555680b_RiflesBuglerbadgeRankAtAGlance226.jpg.4603d5415710ceb10bd6801dc1111520.jpg

[©JON188, British Badge Forum]                                                        [Rank At A Glance (Revised Ed., c.1915-16]

In this position, that would mean Bugle Major, and there'll be four chevrons below it, of which we can see the top two.

Mark

Andy has just posted a group portrait of the Band & Bugles of 16/RB from 1915, which includes this good shot of their Bugle Major's cuff insignia ...

1270652102_RB-16-RBBandBugles1915AndyPay-BugleMajor-WMed.JPG.255ae83dee5ad4d015b629e295ee8109.JPG

This confirms the insignia was indeed worn on both cuffs in khaki SD.

Thanks Andy for posting this.

Mark

Edited by MBrockway

That’s great confirmation Mark, I would indeed have expected to see the badge on both sleeves in SD.  You are also correct that the Bugle Major is an appointment that can be held by any rank, albeit generally sergeants and above.  The same applied to all the ‘Musick’ Majors.

Montgomeryshire Yeomanry. Aylsham. 13th Nov. 1914.

T - Y - Montgomery shoulder titles.  

"Miss Nora Edwards, Chester House, Llandrindod Wells, Rad.

Dear Nora, Do you know anyone in this photo but don't laugh, sorry I didn't see you when I was up but not much time for anything. Hope to see you sometime anyhow.  Best Love Percy"

Scan_20180627 (12).jpg

22 hours ago, MBrockway said:

Andy has just posted a group portrait of the Band & Bugles of 16/RB from 1915, which includes this good shot of their Bugle Major's cuff insignia ...

1270652102_RB-16-RBBandBugles1915AndyPay-BugleMajor-WMed.JPG.255ae83dee5ad4d015b629e295ee8109.JPG

This confirms the insignia was indeed worn on both cuffs in khaki SD.

Thanks Andy for posting this.

Mark

Many thanks indeed, Mark, and to Andy, too. Great confirmation and thoroughly interesting.

Regards,

Chris

This is one of my favourites. It was taken outside The Alex (Alexandra) pub, Bellevue Road, Southampton. The original postcard is quite damaged so I've attempted some repair work on this one. It's postmarked January 1915 - maybe taken prior to embarkation? Can anyone identify the regiment?

TheAlex-2.jpg.42fdc49fe068befc101604fbeedd5540.jpg

It's changed a bit since then, but I had a drink in there just recently, still going strong (the pub, not me).

1586098127_ScreenShot2018-07-01at10_37_18.png.709e049e495c5e86218b760cc9a8d16b.png

Having spent ages trying to work out what the lad is firing out of the upstairs window, I now wonder if he's waving a flag...

742748246_ScreenShot2018-07-01at15_25_58.png.e35bb0da7ab70f44b49deb7864f0cfb6.png

Good spot...and, yes, I think that's a flag being waved.  

4 hours ago, Triumph2000 said:

This is one of my favourites. Can anyone identify the regiment?

I now wonder if he's waving a flag...

742748246_ScreenShot2018-07-01at15_25_58.png.e35bb0da7ab70f44b49deb7864f0cfb6.png

Nice card, I think your men are ASC drivers wearing driving goggles.

A flag definitely looks the best bet,  they all looked too relaxed for it to be any sort of firearm. 

27 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Nice card, I think your men are ASC drivers wearing driving goggles.

A flag definitely looks the best bet,  they all looked too relaxed for it to be any sort of firearm. 

Referencing Conan Doyle it's probably an ejaculation ... 

I'll get me coat. 

I'd also say it is a flag or banner. The shadow it casts on the wall seems to confirm it (though I don't know whether the bottom "pole" shadow suggests a flag or banner on two poles?).

flagshadow.png.fff294041f6e669b6b4802b6680cfea3.png

Edited by Keith Brannen

ASC, thank you. I wish I was better at identifying these groups.  

As for the flag - I hadn’t spotted the shadow, thanks, I think that removes all doubt!

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 13:33, Buffnut453 said:

Thanks Frogsmile.  Based on the shape of the ears, the slightly dimpled chin and the general appearance, I think he may be this man, a cousin by marriage, who lived in the house opposite my Grandparents (and Great-Grandparents).  He survived the war as a Cpl in the 1st West Lancs Field Coy.  

John William Duncan (Cropped Image).jpeg

Hi Buffnut, can you confirm his name and address please?

KB

On 01/07/2018 at 15:52, Triumph2000 said:

This is one of my favourites. It was taken outside The Alex (Alexandra) pub, Bellevue Road, Southampton. The original postcard is quite damaged so I've attempted some repair work on this one. It's postmarked January 1915 - maybe taken prior to embarkation? Can anyone identify the regiment?

It's changed a bit since then, but I had a drink in there just recently, still going strong (the pub, not me).

1586098127_ScreenShot2018-07-01at10_37_18.png.709e049e495c5e86218b760cc9a8d16b.png

Having spent ages trying to work out what the lad is firing out of the upstairs window, I now wonder if he's waving a flag...

I’m fairly sure that it is a hand held maritime smoke flare.  Something readily found in Southampton.  If you look it is a tubular device from which smoke, almost certain coloured, is emitting.  In sunlight the thick smoke has formed a shadow at its most intense thickness upon the wall beneath.

14 hours ago, Kitchener's Bugle said:

Hi Buffnut, can you confirm his name and address please?

KB

Hi KB,

I'm 99% convinced it's John William Duncan (6328/426012), 1st (West Lancashire) Field Company, Royal Engineers.  He lived at 49 South John Street, St.Helens, Lancashire.  His Mother was Louisa Oakes and he's named after his Dad, also John William Duncan, who died when his son was 3 years old.  Louisa then married my Great-Great Uncle, William Gamble, and had another 16 kids, of whom 3 served in WW1.  John William Duncan was raised in this family and seems to have been particularly close to William and Louisa's eldest daughter, Emily.  He joined the Army at the age of 15 in 1898, first joining the South Lancs Militia and then remustering into the King's Liverpool Regiment.  He joined the reserves in 1906 and was discharged in 1910.  He re-enlisted into the RE TF in 1914 and embarked for France on 3 Jan 1915.  He was wounded on 27 June that year.  By the end of the War, he'd been promoted to Cpl.

Hope this helps.  

Kind regards,
Mark

10 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I’m fairly sure that it is a hand held maritime smoke flare.  Something readily found in Southampton.  If you look it is a tubular device from which smoke, almost certain coloured, is emitting.  In sunlight the thick smoke has formed a shadow at its most intense thickness upon the wall beneath.

Hi Frogsmile,

I'm not convinced.  Look at the shadow on the wall.  The shadow along the top is perfectly straight for quite a distance, even beyond the point where, if we assume it's a smoke flare, the smoke is emerging from the flare.  I suspect such smoke would spread out in all directions from the end of the flare, hence my belief that we're seeing the blurring effect of a flag being waved.    

Just my two penn'orth... :)

Kind regards,
Mark

Edited by Buffnut453

Yes I see the straight line Mark, but felt it was the shadow of the tube, cast downwards, lengthened, and narrowed by the early morning or late afternoon angle of Sunlight.  You might be right though. I guess we’ll never know for sure.

Edited by FROGSMILE

4 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes I see the straight line Mark, but felt it was the shadow of the tube, cast downwards, lengthened, and narrowed by the early morning or late afternoon angle of Sunlight.  You might be right though. I guess we’ll never know for sure.

on the last close up it appears to me

that the child is holding two tubes, thus the two shadows cast on the wall and both emitting smoke????