Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

10 hours ago, MBrockway said:

Those look like standard Thames punts in the foreground.

Could be in the stretch Richmond to Molesey?

I walked most of that stretch on Tuesday. I did not see any such wall on the bank.

There is a sign on the island if it can be read,

4 hours ago, RobertBr said:

I walked most of that stretch on Tuesday. I did not see any such wall on the bank.

There is a sign on the island if it can be read,

It just reminds me of the Albany Reach downstream from Hampton Court Bridge with the wall of Hampton Court on the bank opposite KGS Boat Club and the Dittons Skiff Club.  It could even be the stages at one of those clubs.  Mind you it is 35+ years since I last won pots at Thames Ditton Regatta!

Roughly here on Streetview

Edited by MBrockway

2 hours ago, MBrockway said:

It just reminds me of the Albany Reach downstream from Hampton Court Bridge with the wall of Hampton Court on the bank opposite KGS Boat Club and the Dittons Skiff Club.  It could even be the stages at one of those clubs.  Mind you it is 35+ years since I last won pots at Thames Ditton Regatta!

Roughly here on Streetview

Looks like a bang on match for me, well spotted.

Derek.

On 14/06/2018 at 09:00, Derek Black said:

27% did not, from work done on looking at the 1914 star roll by Drew.

Apologies Derek, I think I have mislead you. The figures I mentioned, and that you quoted, were for the 4th Bn Royal Fusiliers. I do have some data on the London Scottish, though I never posted as Martin didn't seem interested in that particular info for the '1914- Disembarkation & Survivability' thread. It is taken from the London Regiment BWM&VM Roll but is not as thorough as the research I did on the Fusiliers.

Of  921 men who first landed on the 16th September 1914, 23 are listed in the London Regiment rolls with unbroken service from that date until the Armistice. Presumably many of the men in Toby's photograph would have been in that first draft (though of course not all, for various reasons). Remarkably I was able to find service/pension records for 20 of these men. Twelve served in the front line for the whole duration and so were not 'seriously' sick or wounded. Seven did not leave France but did spend significant time away from the front. Two records are unclear and two men have no surviving service record.

There is a major caveat in that 493 men were later commissioned. No doubt many of these later became casualties, but this would seem to skew the 1/14th Bn. data somewhat.

This does not answer Loader's question about how many of those men survived, as I have not included figures for those wounded, but it might indicate how many went 'unscathed'. 

Hope that is of interest.

Regards,

Chris  

19 hours ago, MBrockway said:

It just reminds me of the Albany Reach downstream from Hampton Court Bridge with the wall of Hampton Court on the bank opposite KGS Boat Club and the Dittons Skiff Club.

No Island!

It could be further downstream at the end of Thames Ditton Islands

10 minutes ago, RobertBr said:

No Island!

It could be further downstream at the end of Thames Ditton Islands

Where are you seeing an island in the picture?

1 hour ago, MBrockway said:

Mark-it is a severe temptation to give the Basil Fawlty reply-"Over there between the land and the sky"

Agreed that it is the walls of Hampton Court in the background   _Hurst Park or Ditton Field??     I think RobertBr meant upstream.   It will not be far from the railway station- most LS trips out seem to start at Waterloo in the pre-war years.

1 hour ago, MBrockway said:

To be fair, the sign appears to start with "THE ISLAND" or similar.

11 hours ago, Drew-1918 said:

Apologies Derek, I think I have mislead you. The figures I mentioned, and that you quoted, were for the 4th Bn Royal Fusiliers. I do have some data on the London Scottish, though I never posted as Martin didn't seem interested in that particular info for the '1914- Disembarkation & Survivability' thread. It is taken from the London Regiment BWM&VM Roll but is not as thorough as the research I did on the Fusiliers.

Of  921 men who first landed on the 16th September 1914, 23 are listed in the London Regiment rolls with unbroken service from that date until the Armistice. Presumably many of the men in Toby's photograph would have been in that first draft (though of course not all, for various reasons). Remarkably I was able to find service/pension records for 20 of these men. Twelve served in the front line for the whole duration and so were not 'seriously' sick or wounded. Seven did not leave France but did spend significant time away from the front. Two records are unclear and two men have no surviving service record.

There is a major caveat in that 493 men were later commissioned. No doubt many of these later became casualties, but this would seem to skew the 1/14th Bn. data somewhat.

This does not answer Loader's question about how many of those men survived, as I have not included figures for those wounded, but it might indicate how many went 'unscathed'. 

Hope that is of interest.

Regards,

Chris  

My apologies.

Derek.

22 hours ago, IPT said:

To be fair, the sign appears to start with "THE ISLAND" or similar.

Thanks IPT.

Its either a sign naming the island or one of the quite common signs designating the channel to follow.

Further upstream you do have the River Ember confluence with the Thames,which offers a similar view, but then on the opposite bank Hampton Court has an ornate  boundary fence.

Too few Fawlty Towers episodes were made to warrant continuing this.

Fully agree - the only way we're likely to get a 100% ID is to go along the whole bank from Teddington to probably Windsor!

I'm pretty confident it is the Thames though.

The London Scottish 1913 Summer Camp was in the Black Mountains E of Brecon - this is definitely NOT there!

A "charming" series  " The Territorial"...

ambush.jpg

captured.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

A lucky chap! 

facing the powder.jpg

rear.jpg

I hope he manged to survive! 

the attack.jpg

Rifle Brigade TF chap with C.L.L.E and a great shot of the Mills "Territorial " style web equipment. 

RB TF Equip.jpg

RB TF Equip 2.jpg

46937. Pte. Edward "Ernie" Leppard. 230 Field Ambulance. R.A.M.C.

Scan_20180608 (3).jpg

R.G.A Group at Clarance Barracks, Portsmouth, featuring Gnr. Thomas Edward Yardley - 76831.

He served overseas with   1/1 Lancs. Heavy Brigade T.F. as No.309046

Scan_20180617.jpg

Edited by GWF1967

"Warrant Off's - Staff Serj's - Senior NCO's. 123 Bde R.F.A."

Posted, Andover. 6th July 1915.  to Miss N.Holden, Castle Hotel, Tamworth, Staffs. 

"My Dearest Nellie. Can you find me on here? Have you any news yet? I shall soon be back in the Amm. Col. but still in C/123 Bde. R.F.A.. Love etc. Joe. xx"

Scan_20180622.jpg

Scan_20180622 (3).jpg

that's a really interesting photo,I am part of a project concerning the 53rd welsh division at Northampton,I have also researched a welsh man a st john instructor in the valleys,when war declared he volunteered ,went straight into the 1/1st welsh field ambulance R.A.M.C,left here and landed in Gallipoli,I do have a photo of a Welshman in the welsh ambulance but its not this chap

:poppy:

Pleased you both like it. Not only has the photographer has done a very good job of posing the subject,  but he has also managed to get catchlights in his eyes. Unfortunately I can't read the shoulder title which would have given the VAD unit number and a possibility of identifying the man.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

It looks like  a "1" SJAB to my eyes.

Cheers,

Derek.

Edited by Derek Black

Another junk shop find, sadly no details on the reverse. I like it a lot, though. Two or three different cap badges to be seen here.

img162.jpg