Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

1 hour ago, Toby Brayley said:

T.F Battalion of the Cheshire Regt.   Wearing the "commercial, TF" Web Equipment. 

cheshire tf.jpg

The chap seated centre picked the wrong moment to see if his shoulder titles were on display!

Royal Artillery, with three Scots. Argyll and Sutherland ??  and Gordon Highlanders. 

Two of the R.A. NCO's have Acme Thunder style whistles on display.

Scan_20180318 (2).jpg

Scan_20180318 (3).jpg

Scan_20180318 (4).jpg

20 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Royal Artillery, with three Scots. Argyll and Sutherland ??  and Gordon Highlanders...

Scan_20180318 (2).jpg

The chap stood viewers right with hand on belt is Seaforth Highlanders.

Edited by Andrew Upton

1 hour ago, Andrew Upton said:

Thank you.

23 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Royal Artillery, with three Scots. Argyll and Sutherland ??  and Gordon Highlanders. 

Two of the R.A. NCO's have Acme Thunder style whistles on display.

Scan_20180318 (2).jpg

2 hours ago, Andrew Upton said:

It is interesting that the Argyll (on L) and Seaforth (on R) wear Tam O'Shanters while the unidentified Scot in the back row has on a Balmoral.

"Will" of the 7th Dragoon Guards taken in 1915. 

7DG.jpg

Edited by trenchtrotter

his is one of mine. William H Sturmer, 9th Sussex. Originally G/81806 RF but later G/192112 Royal Sussex. Battle patch can be made out just.

IMG_5308.JPG

South Staffs Officers

south staffs photo (002).jpg

Recently picked up group to one man, named on the rear to Charles Huntley from mountain Ash, Welsh Regiment badges worn with his hospital blues.  One of the pics in Egypt is named on the reverse to Taff Huntley.  The lot includes two pc's one of which also comes as a larger sized portrait pics and the mid sized group photo which includes a wide range of army units as well as nurses,  In this one he is standing with two sticks.

scan 1a sv.jpg

the second half of the group, two differently exposed versions of the same pic of the sphinx and the pyramids and also two pc's.  One of these is named to Taff huntley & Ditto Davies on the reverse, the pc with one standing and one sitting.  Nice unit flash I think for 4th Welsh on the pith of the sitting chap.

scan 2a sv.jpg

On 4/11/2018 at 18:01, Jerry B said:

the second half of the group, two differently exposed versions of the same pic of the sphinx and the pyramids and also two pc's.  One of these is named to Taff huntley & Ditto Davies on the reverse, the pc with one standing and one sitting.  Nice unit flash I think for 4th Welsh on the pith of the sitting chap.

scan 2a sv.jpg

Great set of cards.

R.G.A Signals group. The man second from front, right hand side wears a mourning button.

Scan_20180404 (3).jpg

8 hours ago, charlie962 said:

Might be 3317/241353 ?

Indeed Charlie

That is whom I thought it was, it fits with middle east service and his getting a SWB.  I got his mic from ancestry but can't get his medal and SWB rolls until their next free weekend to check what Bn he was and what he was listed as discharged for.

8 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Great set of cards.

Yes, I was very pleased to find the group in west wales.  A shame they chopped the sphinx's head off, but easy to id the location and 4th Welsh I think form the pith flash.

1 hour ago, Jerry B said:

Indeed Charlie

That is whom I thought it was, it fits with middle east service and his getting a SWB.  I got his mic from ancestry but can't get his medal and SWB rolls until their next free weekend to check what Bn he was and what he was listed as discharged for.

Yes, I was very pleased to find the group in west wales.  A shame they chopped the sphinx's head off, but easy to id the location and 4th Welsh I think form the pith flash.

Enl. 16/10/1914.  Collier. B. Mountain Ash.  Disc. 4/11/1918 (392 VXI).  SWB. issued 15/10/1920.  Duplicated SWB rolls, badge No. B73786. T.F. Depot Welsh,  No. 503584. Depot Welsh. 

Medal roll has him as 1/5th Welsh. 

Maxim Carts of E. Coy, 5th S.L.I  Donnington Camp, Salisbury Plain sent August 12th 1914. 

I always like seeing 1888 Bayonets with 08 Webbing! 

Maxim Carts of 5 SLI.jpg

10 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Enl. 16/10/1914.  Collier. B. Mountain Ash.  Disc. 4/11/1918 (392 VXI).  SWB. issued 15/10/1920.  Duplicated SWB rolls, badge No. B73786. T.F. Depot Welsh,  No. 503584. Depot Welsh. 

Thank you sir, much appreciated.

9 minutes ago, Jerry B said:

As does Hospital Admissions, Alexandria Aug 1917 ( Diarrhoea) = Gippy Tummy ? on FWR, but adds B Company.

3 hours ago, charlie962 said:

As does Hospital Admissions, Alexandria Aug 1917 ( Diarrhoea) = Gippy Tummy ? on FWR, but adds B Company.

Thanks Charlie

Pte. Sidney Roland Ashton. 106220.  141 Field Ambulance, R.A.M.C. 1st Division,  B.E.F,  France. 

Scan_20180418 (3).jpg

Royal Fusiliers.

" To Mr & Mrs Pike,  From Arthur,  April 27th - 1915"

Scan_20180418 (4).jpg

L/Cpl - 20th (County of London) Battalion (Blackheath and Woolwich). He has some overseas service chevrons, on his left sleeve looks to be a Lewis Gunner's badge. The lady wears a wedding ring, but could be his Ma!

Scan_20180418.jpg

On 18/04/2018 at 20:32, GWF1967 said:

Royal Fusiliers.

" To Mr & Mrs Pike,  From Arthur,  April 27th - 1915"

Scan_20180418 (4).jpg

Private Arthur Pike, G/5677. 2nd Battalion Royal Fusiliers, died 28-06-1915. Commemerated at Helles Memorial.

The picture would look nice on the CWGC site.