Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

On 10/01/2018 at 14:49, QGE said:

Incidentally my favourite photo of the war. Only one man on this photo made it out unscathed, only to become a POW in Round 2.

In the Gale & Polden copy of this photo in the infamous Tatler officer pics, their version has some early photoshopping at work, the background is completely erased.

Derek.

1stBW 7Oct14.jpg

Edited by Derek Black

6 hours ago, QGE said:

Double strapped Sam Brownes were very common throughout the infantry in 1914. in the Regulars and TF.  It was seen less frequently as the war progressed as Officers gradually adopted OR's equipment (there are a few threads on this). Here is the 1st Bn Black Watch on the eve of the War to illustrate the point. Even the Field Officers who suited and booted for riding are wearing the double straps.... note most (all?) have holsters for revolvers on their right hip which might be a factor.  Incidentally my favourite photo of the war. Only one man on this photo made it out unscathed, only to become a POW in Round 2. 

The CO (Grant Duff) wrote the manual on Mobilization. A first class piece of Staff Work. 

Black Watch.jpg

"Only one man on this photo made it out unscathed, only to become a POW in Round 2. "

As you are undoubtedly aware, that man was Lt. Victor Fortune, later Major General Fortune, shown in this photo standing on the far left of the center row.  It is worth noting that as CO of the 51st Highland Division, Fortune went into captivity at St. Valery-en-Caux, suffered a stroke in 1944 but refused repatriation when  offered.

Labour Corps.

Left. Cpl. Robert Goldring. 391772.  367th Home Service Coy. 

Right. Pte. Harry Merrick. 318601.

Scan_20180104 (4).jpg

Labour Corps.

Left. C.S.M. James. Graeme Sayers. 603556. 723 Coy. Labour Corps. Meritous Service Medal (unable to find the award notice - L.G dated 60?).   Formerly - C.S.M 238001. East Lancashire Reg.

Right. C.S.M. Frank Robert Barlow. 369563. Labour Corps. Formerly - Sgt. 1430. Royal Fusiliers.

Scan_20180107 (2).jpg

30850_A001854-01014.jpg

Edited by GWF1967

21 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Labour Corps.

Left. C.S.M. James. Graeme Sayers. 603556. Labour Corps. Meritous Service Medal (unable to find the award notice - L.G dated 60?).   Formerly - C.S.M 238001. East Lancashire Reg.

Right. C.S.M. Frank Robert Barlow. 369563. Labour Corps. Formerly - Sgt. 1430. Royal Fusiliers.

Scan_20180107 (2).jpg

30850_A001854-01014.jpg

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31132/supplement/999

This is a great compilation of photos. I searched through many, not all to see if I could identify the hat badges in this postcard. It was sent to a young girl from the U.K to Australia, presumably by her brother who was in the AIF . I don't understand why the back of the card says U.S.A. I am hoping someone can set me straight. 

back of pc kweda.jpg

Post card to Marjorie Bowron, Kweda School.jpg

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 17:00, GWF1967 said:

Officers of the 1/3rd West Lancashire Field Ambulance.

Scan_20180104 (3).jpg

Any idea of a date on this?  I just discovered a relative was in the 1/3rd West Lancs Field Ambulance in 1917 and so may have had one of these chaps as his boss. 

8 hours ago, Wolf215 said:

This is a great compilation of photos. I searched through many, not all to see if I could identify the hat badges in this postcard. It was sent to a young girl from the U.K to Australia, presumably by her brother who was in the AIF . I don't understand why the back of the card says U.S.A. I am hoping someone can set me straight. 

Post card to Marjorie Bowron, Kweda School.jpg

Gloucestershire Regiment.

All quite plain, so hard to say much more other than caps etc suggest early war; and the chap second left has a medal bar which could be Queen's South Africa  and King's South Africa Medals.

Cheers,

GT.

Edited by Grovetown

17 hours ago, Buffnut453 said:

Any idea of a date on this?  I just discovered a relative was in the 1/3rd West Lancs Field Ambulance in 1917 and so may have had one of these chaps as his boss. 

Hi Buffnut,

sadly no date given but it's a UK postcard so taken prior to them moving overseas; 3rd W.L.F.A. was, I believe,  in France from Jan 1916.

37 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Hi Buffnut,

sadly no date given but it's a UK postcard so taken prior to them moving overseas; 3rd W.L.F.A. was, I believe,  in France from Jan 1916.

Yep, 1/3rd WFLA did, indeed, arrive in France on 15 Jan 1916.  They were preceded by 2/3rd and 3/3rd WFLA which arrived in France in Sept 1915. 

Perhaps the chap seated centre is Maj, later Lt Col, Gullan who was OC of 1/3rd WFLA?

Edited by Buffnut453

Unposted postcard addressed to Mrs Davidson, 51 Elderpark Street, Govan, Glasgow.

GRG_PA_0001s.jpg

Edited by quigs1969

Unposted postcard of D Company of 11th Royal Scots.

?? Willox (of Govan, Glasgow) Front Row, 2nd from Left

GRG_PA_0003-Willox-FR-2fLs.jpg

Edited by quigs1969

11 minutes ago, quigs1969 said:

Barry Camp 1914

"The Boys After a Rough Night"

GRG_PA_0002s.jpg

Nice cards quiqs!

I've had this card a while. The photo for the postcard was taken in 1912, the postcard was posted in Aug.1917.

I recently purchased "A Pictorial History of Machynlleth, David Wyn Davies" which identifies the two gents as David Edwards Blacksmith (R) and his son Joseph.

Joseph enlisted for four years with 7th Royal Welsh Fusiliers Territorial Battalion on 30/4/1910 as  Pte. 601.   He embarked for Egypt 17/7/1915 having re-enlisted, and was discharged 9/5/1916 having served his second period of service;  6yrs 9 days. 

Edit. The building still stands, unfortunately no longer a working forge( Pic. Machynlleth Tourist info)

Scan_20171206 (2).jpg

Machynlleth Tourist Information..jpg

Edited by GWF1967

9th (Scottish) Division.

" Greetings from Puggled Villa, 6th Jan, Wald, R.H.L.D?

Standing. LtoR.

Sgt.Butler. Royal Engineers, Signals.

Sgt. Feltham. Army Veterinary Corps

Sgt. Donald. Royal Scots.

Pte. Gullen. Cook

Sgt. McNair. Royal Scots

Sgt. Hall. (Military Medal Ribbon?) Royal Engineers. 

Sitting.

CSM. Shingleton. Army Gymnastics Staff.

CQMS. Bunney. Royal Scots.

CSM. Hurbatley.? Army Gymnastics Staff

Scan_20180111.jpg

Scan_20180112 (2).jpg

Edited by GWF1967

20 hours ago, quigs1969 said:

Barry Camp 1914

"The Boys After a Rough Night"

GRG_PA_0002s.jpg

Excellent shot of the Scottish Rifles! Any idea of the battalion?

Members of the Rifle Brigade in front of their 'Forest Villa'. Check out the cool divisional patches.

mh.jpg.ce2b3b6cb9ce77c1ea2b9c6c4dca73b3.jpg

6 minutes ago, AmericanTommy said:

Excellent shot of the Scottish Rifles! Any idea of the battalion?

Sorry postcard was blank on back

Pte. William Martin Clark.  2290.  Royal East Kent Mounted Rifles.   Gallipoli - 24/9/15. 

T/270281 10th ( Yeomanry) Battalion East Kent Regiment.     Died of Wounds. 9/12/1917  -  Jerusalem.

Scan_20180110 (4).jpg

Scan_20180110 (6).jpg