Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

On 16/12/2017 at 15:59, themonsstar said:

Kinmel Camp, Rhyl, North Wales 

Kinmel Camp North Wales.JPG

Officer Cadet Battalion.

4 hours ago, AmericanTommy said:

Found this while back home in the USA for a few bucks. Unsure if this was a mass produced image or not o I picked it up. I belive it to be one of the (service?) battalions of the Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment). 

s-l1600.jpg

Two veteran NCOs at centre with wound stripes. The man at right with a star shaped badge on his chest pocket appears to have a Territorial Force shoulder title. The notice board on the hut reads D Company and possibly the beginning of a typical fractional battalion number 1/?  Hut door marked for 1 NCO and 29 men .

Edited by FROGSMILE

33 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Two veteran NCOs at centre with wound stripes. The man at right with a star shaped badge on his chest pocket appears to have a Territorial Force shoulder title. The notice board on the hut reads D Company and possibly the beginning of a typical fractional battalion number 1/?  Hut door marked for 1 NCO and 29 men .

Close up of the chap with the medal

s-l1600.jpg

23 hours ago, dundeesown said:

RSF tails

100_4101.JPG

11 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

For a period it was common (fashionable) for soldiers to fit extended tails to a walking out glengarry in order to cut a dash and look more swashbuckling.  This was not just a Scottish thing and there are photos of English line and RMLI doing the same thing.

4 hours ago, AmericanTommy said:

haven't heard this before. Good to know!

49 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

As you might imagine not approved for parade!  Regular British soldiers especially, often modified their walking out head gear to be (as fashion perceived it) more impressive.

Length of tails from my WW1 glengarries:

KOSB 13 inches

Argyll  9

Gordon 11

Black Watch 10

Cameron 14

Just now, gordon92 said:

Length of tails from my WW1 glengarries:

KOSB 13 inches

Argyll  9

Gordon 11

Black Watch 10

Cameron 14

Interesting to see such a variety. I could show photos of pre-1897 British infantry  glengarry ribbons (not just Scots) of equally variable length (see VWF). I don’t think that there were official regimental variation in length, but it’s not impossible.

9 minutes ago, AmericanTommy said:

Close up of the chap with the medal

s-l1600.jpg

It has the shape and form of an old Rifle Volunteer Corps cap badge, perhaps that of the TF battalion’s forebears.

25 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Interesting to see such a variety. I could show photos of pre-1897 British infantry  glengarry ribbons (not just Scots) of equally variable length (see VWF). I don’t think that there were official regimental variation in length, but it’s not impossible.

A few years ago Joe Sweeney posted the official lengths of the ribbons for each regiment; unfortunately cannot locate the thread at this moment.  There was some variation between regiments, but the differences were not as radical as we are seeing here.  As we all know, the official specifications were frequently ignored.

43 minutes ago, gordon92 said:

A few years ago Joe Sweeney posted the official lengths of the ribbons for each regiment; unfortunately cannot locate the thread at this moment.  There was some variation between regiments, but the differences were not as radical as we are seeing here.  As we all know, the official specifications were frequently ignored.

That’s very interesting, Joe certainly had the data and I recall the arcane differences in kilt pins so I should not be surprised really. I’m not sure if the glengarries were contracted in small numbers to regimental spec or whether the tapes were simply added at battalion level by the sergeant master tailors.

41 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

That’s very interesting, Joe certainly had the data and I recall the arcane differences in kilt pins so I should not be surprised really. I’m not sure if the glengarries were contracted in small numbers to regimental spec or whether the tapes were simply added at battalion level by the sergeant master tailors.

Here is what Joe wrote about glengarries (no mention of ribbons) in the 2nd half of this post.

25 minutes ago, gordon92 said:

Here is what Joe wrote about glengarries (no mention of ribbons) in the 2nd half of this post.

Yes I do recall reading that before, I remember the different head bands. My point was that I have never seen any indication of different length ribbons, so your personal collection surprised me. I do wonder if they were made up and fitted by battalion tailors, just as the ‘flashes’ of the RWF often were.

Rifle Brigade (Transport Section?) Cologne, 1918

Cologne.jpg

22 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes I do recall reading that before, I remember the different head bands. My point was that I have never seen any indication of different length ribbons, so your personal collection surprised me. I do wonder if they were made up and fitted by battalion tailors, just as the ‘flashes’ of the RWF often were.

Indeed, that is quite possible.  The Cameron glengarry that I have with the 14 inch ribbon is an officer's item; thus, I imagine the tailoring was to the whim of that individual officer.

11 hours ago, gordon92 said:

Indeed, that is quite possible.  The Cameron glengarry that I have with the 14 inch ribbon is an officer's item; thus, I imagine the tailoring was to the whim of that individual officer.

It’s certainly very intriguing, if the head bands could be made up to different specifications then I suppose it’s not impossible that the ribbons were too, but the contractual checks and inspections would have been very onerous for a busy Army and that made me think it less likely.

Edited by FROGSMILE

14 hours ago, AmericanTommy said:

Rifle Brigade (Transport Section?) Cologne, 1918

Cologne.jpg

The bandolier and horses do seem to imply a battalion transport section and the building probably in use as stables and wagon shed. Most of the men seem young and without wound stripes, overseas service chevrons or medal ribbons. The unit is probably part of the Rhineland occupation force post armistice.

16 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Prince Albert's Somerset L.I.

Scan_20171217 (4).jpg

A 2nd Boer War veteran going by the ribbons.

and India GS I believe.

Tantalising lack of lower sleeve visibility .......... he is probably not the [R]SM ......... jacket wrong .......... might be a CSM, might be an Old Soldier with good conduct badges [or none!]

He definitely has an air of authority.

Gnr Edward Calladine. 134603.  51st Battery 39th Div.  R.F.A. 

Scan_20171217 (5).jpg

18 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

and India GS I believe.

Tantalising lack of lower sleeve visibility .......... he is probably not the [R]SM ......... jacket wrong .......... might be a CSM, might be an Old Soldier with good conduct badges [or none!]

He definitely has an air of authority.

Yes that does look like an India GSM, so definitely an old regular.  Despite his obvious presence I don’t think that he is more than a private for the reasons you outlined.

5 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes that does look like an India GSM, so definitely an old regular.  Despite his obvious presence I don’t think that he is more than a private for the reasons you outlined.

Puts me in mind of Colour-sergeant Bourne, 24th Foot, Rorkes Drft, as in "ZULU" ........ 

"now then sir, be a good gentleman ....." or some such, to the hysterical preacher man.

6 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

Puts me in mind of Colour-sergeant Bourne, 24th Foot, Rorkes Drft, as in "ZULU" ........ 

"now then sir, be a good gentleman ....." or some such, to the hysterical preacher man.

thought the same when looking at photo (Where do you think you are, do up that button)