Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

For what it's worth... The shoulder title has three components, the first looking very like a 'T' - this would fit with e.g. T-RAMC-LONDON or whatever. Could also be e.g. RFA, RGA, ASC, etc. of course. The badge on the standing fellow's arm is a mystery to me, but it certainly doesn't look like a red cross. In fact, squinted at furiously, it looks rather like a trench mortar flaming grenade - is that plausible? 

Not sure if this moves things on any - sorry, if not. Cheers, Pat.

The standing fellow has badges on both arms. Given that it is tropicl lightweight uniform that gets frequently laundered, I think one shouldn't rule out the cloth RAMC red cross in a circle ?- maybe even a bit crumpled if detachable?

wasn't the bomber's grenade just on on one arm?

Charlie

Yes, there is something on his right sleeve, and perhaps something on his left.

But see how distinctive the real deal is attached], and how large [65 mm across]

Also, the man whose S/T might include RAMC has no badge.

RAMC is a very dodgy call in my opinion.

11 RAMC cuff rings 1.jpg

29 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

ramcarmbadges.JPG.357611b3ca349e580bac9612a95645fa.JPGramcarmbadges2.JPG.62ac57f3efba7ce9a21fda1d11740f32.JPG

Now is that a match anyone do that forensic photography stuff with Adobie matching eye width nose mouth etc that give a certainty of the same person?

Cameronian taken in Glasgow is his trews.

glasgow.jpg

Just now, AmericanTommy said:

Cameronian taken in Glasgow is his trews.                                                                                        Almost a identicle match for your avatar

glasgow.jpg

14 hours ago, 303man said:

Another Unknown WW1 Soldier from my cards.

DSC_4755.JPG

This man is wearing Canadian uniform.

Pte William Stones 

Born 1870

Died 26th Jan 1919 (flu)

Age 49

He started in the militia No 1989, 4th Bn Royal Lancashire Regt, before joining 1st Bn Royal Welsh Fusilier in 1888 No 2270 and Deserted 6/7/1890,  He was  in the 1st Royal Dragoons (moved over to France May 1915), and was moved with other Machine Gun Crews  to form  6th Sqn MGC, 6th Cavalry Brigade, 3rd Cavalry Division.

50632 Pte W. Stones MGC.JPG

" Taken at Larkhill near Stonehenge, Salisbury plain.  1914-1918  I was Dvr T.A. Lloyd, 28442 Royal Field Artillery. A Battery, 93rd Brigade, 20th Light Division"

Thomas Arthur Lloyd.

B. Kensington.   Enl. 2/9/1914. Merthyr.   Coal Miner.  Age. 25.

Scan_20171213 (2).jpg

Pte George Jones.   M2/204303.   41st Aux Motor Ambulance Coy, Rouen.  France.

Scan_20171213.jpg

On 12/14/2017 at 20:36, AmericanTommy said:

Cameronian taken in Glasgow is his trews.

glasgow.jpg

The swallow tails on his glengarry are unusually long.

For a period it was common (fashionable) for soldiers to fit extended tails to a walking out glengarry in order to cut a dash and look more swashbuckling.  This was not just a Scottish thing and there are photos of English line and RMLI doing the same thing.

6 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

For a period it was common (fashionable) for soldiers to fit extended tails to a walking out glengarry in order to cut a dash and look more swashbuckling.  This was not just a Scottish thing and there are photos of English line and RMLI doing the same thing.

haven't heard this before. Good to know!

Found this while back home in the USA for a few bucks. Unsure if this was a mass produced image or not o I picked it up. I belive it to be one of the (service?) battalions of the Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment). 

s-l1600.jpg

3 hours ago, AmericanTommy said:

haven't heard this before. Good to know!

As you might imagine not approved for parade!  Regular British soldiers especially, often modified their walking out head gear to be (as fashion perceived it) more impressive.