Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

49 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

Thats a much better idea than mine, however there does appear to be some extraneous "stuff" beneath where the wreath should end.

Yes it does look odd, although I think that some of it is hook and eye fastening.

2 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

Crossed knitting needles in a ball of wool?

knitting proficiency award Sir?   

East Surrey Regiment.  

Scan_20171018 (2).jpg

1. R.A. T.F 

2. R.A. T.F.  unsure where they're bound!

3. R.F.A.  I'm guessing the Cpl. didn't want to be in the photo.

Scan_20171025.jpg

Scan_20171025 (3).jpg

Scan_20171025 (4).jpg

To follow on from yesterdays post. Here are some more of Harrys mates

Harry India 1913 DoW Digging team.jpg

319 Pte. Andrew Collins 5th Bn. Royal Irish Regiment of Tipperary Town; the eldest of the Collins brothers who served. Andy served with one of his brothers (Edmond) at Gallipoli and was possibly wounded or taken sick there as he was transferred next to Royal Irish Fusiliers and thence to the RE finishing the war as a Corporal. He was over 6 feet tall and had pre war service in India with the E Yorks Regiment. He died in 1939 and is buried in Tipperary Town. He was my great great Uncle.

IMG_5014.JPG

Thanks for posting, I think that the 5th Battalion Royal Irish Regt were a ‘Special Reserve’ (ex Militia) Battalion.

5 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Thanks for posting, I think that the 5th Battalion Royal Irish Regt were a ‘Special Reserve’ (ex Militia) Battalion.

Thanks, I was under the impression they were a New Army Bn. formed in the creation of the 10th Irish Division. I understand they were the division's pioneer battalion.

1 hour ago, PaddyO said:

Thanks, I was under the impression they were a New Army Bn. formed in the creation of the 10th Irish Division. I understand they were the division's pioneer battalion.

That’s quite possible Paddy, I confess I did not check, it’s just that many of the Irish line regiments had two regular battalions (normal) but three or more Reserve battalions (unusual).

The Royal Irish Regt had a 3rd (Reserve) Bn and a 4th (Extra Reserve) Bn. The 5th (Service) Bn was a K1 Battalion.... originally in 29th Inf Bde but was redesignated as Pioneers in June 1915  just a month before deploying. Their place in 29th inf Bde was taken by the not very Irish 10th Bn Hampshire Regt which were unallocated Army Troops.

7 minutes ago, QGE said:

The Royal Irish Regt had a 3rd (Reserve) Bn and a 4th (Extra Reserve) Bn. The 5th (Service) Bn was a K1 Battalion.... originally in 29th Inf Bde but was redesignated as Pioneers in June 1915  just a month before deploying. Their place in 29th inf Bde was taken by the not very Irish 10th Bn Hampshire Regt which were unallocated Army Troops.

Thanks very much that's very interesting.  

11 hours ago, Toby Brayley said:

To follow on from yesterdays post. Here are some more of Harrys mates

Harry India 1913 DoW Digging team.jpg

what a stern/professional looking crew, I wonder what the presence of picks and shovels represents?  also both Sgts are sporting ribbons, any idea  what they are??

regards

Bob R.

The one seated front right (3 GC badges) seems to be a well nourished individual also.

I believe that the assault at arms competition included a part where the men had to dig shallow rifle pits and then engage targets set at various ranges.  The tools are not entrenching type but full size GS, a number of which were held at battalion level for distribution to companies.  Once the double-company (x4) system was introduced they were distributed equally to each CQMS Equipment Table.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 07/11/2017 at 19:08, GWF1967 said:

3. R.F.A.  I'm guessing the Cpl. didn't want to be in the photo.

I appreciate that your comment is tongue-in-cheek, but it's worth remarking that some men in old group photographs often posed in such a way so as to show their "best side" or a handsome profile. 

The practice was much more common in Victorian times, declined in Edwardian days, and became quite rare by the Great War period.

Perhaps the Bombardier was old-fashioned in his ways !

On 10/11/2017 at 21:03, Toby Brayley said:

TF Essex Boys. 

essex cart.jpg

I have a question about the soldier on the far left. I understand that he is wearing 1903 equipment, but is there any significance to the high puttees?

David Tait, Highland Light Infantry, and some other HLI soldiers in camp. I generally collect Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) and HLI.

davidtait.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

1/7th Highland Light Infantry, all serving in Palestine, and at the time attempting to take Gaza. I think the most stark reminder has to be the nice note written on the back by the sender: 

"A group I wanted to keep so I am sending it straight off. Lt. Davie 7 H.L.I. kneeling behind was killed yesterday". Keeping fit and received your letter 25th March, today Wishes Sam. Dated 22nd April 1917."

Lt. F. Davie was from Kirkcaldy. He was 28 years old and serving in the 1/7th HLI after being attached from the 1st when he was killed on 21 April, 1917. He is buried in the British Cemetery in Gaza.

IMG_2504.JPG

10 hours ago, RFA Gunner said:

I have a question about the soldier on the far left. I understand that he is wearing 1903 equipment, but is there any significance to the high puttees?

I don't think so,   just another "unique TF" style.  Most  seem to be wearing  VF/TF Piped Breeches, this is the latest I have seen them in use. 

Regards

Toby 

Edited by Toby Brayley

21 hours ago, AmericanTommy said:

1/7th Highland Light Infantry, all serving in Palestine, and at the time attempting to take Gaza. I think the most stark reminder has to be the nice note written on the back by the sender: 

"A group I wanted to keep so I am sending it straight off. Lt. Davie 7 H.L.I. kneeling behind was killed yesterday". Keeping fit and received your letter 25th March, today Wishes Sam. Dated 22nd April 1917."

Lt. F. Davie was from Kirkcaldy. He was 28 years old and serving in the 1/7th HLI after being attached from the 1st when he was killed on 21 April, 1917. He is buried in the British Cemetery in Gaza.

He probably survived Gallipoli only to meet his fate in Palestine.  I have a uniform from a 5th HLI officer, Lt. Lewis MacLellan, who was killed in the Judean Hills on 30 Nov 1917.

22 hours ago, Toby Brayley said:

I don't think so,   just another "unique TF" style.  Most  seem to be wearing  VF/TF Piped Breeches, this is the latest I have seen them in use. 

Regards

Toby 

I agree with Toby.  It’s unusual to see so late on the piped  trousers that were designed to be worn with lace secured gaiters and so longer in the legs.  It would have made them a little awkward to wear with long puttees.

Two of the men are also wearing full dress tunics rather than undress frocks.

Edited by FROGSMILE

"Harry Scott. Police Convalescent Home Harrogate"

Served as 75707. Royal Gloucester Hussars.

Scan_20171018 (8).jpg

Here's a photo I found while going through some old family photos.  I don't know anything about it accept what you see.  The note on the back I think says it was taken in summer at a camp in Felixstowe .  Any information about their uniforms or what battalions they're in would be VERY greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  

Liam

WW1 Who.jpg

WW1 Who Back.jpg