Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Yes he does look like Stalin. Thanks for taking time to post.

Here are some more unsung ASC heros. Taken in France (Carte Postale). I love these out door studio pics. Clearly not far from danger as all carrying their SBRs.

TT

post-15846-015131300 1285328639.jpg

Thanks John,

Nice to see Notts and Derby. Any 17th men? Do you know battle patch for the Welbeck Rangers. I have a picture of a convelesing MM winner...Wilfred Brown and will post in due course. He was wounded 3/9/1916 and won his MM same day.

Regards

TT

This is taken from a postcard photo of my great uncle with other family members.

Private Frederick Carney 6971 East Yorkshire Regiment. During the Great War he served with the 2nd Battalion, 6th Battalion and 10th Battalion. Taken in 7 Lime Street Liverpool, presumably while he was home on leave and about to return to the front. Taken around 1916-17, judging by the age of the child who was my uncle, born 1912

fredcarney.jpg

Caryl

(posted this before on the forum but since there are no EYR soldiers represented in the thread yet, might as well post him again here - also my avator photo)

Corporal Robert Thrale, 2025 7th Battn ( Robin Hoods ) N/Derby kia 1.7.1916 at Gommecourt age 20.

Fascinating!

Man Mil Law 1914 Ch XIV para 210 et seq expressly forbids wearing of red cross armband except for medical establishments etc: the man might be a non-RAMC orderly attached to the RMO of his N&D battalion.

This is taken from a postcard photo of my great uncle with other family members.

Private Frederick Carney 6971 East Yorkshire Regiment. During the Great War he served with the 2nd Battalion, 6th Battalion and 10th Battalion. Taken in 7 Lime Street Liverpool, presumably while he was home on leave and about to return to the front. Taken around 1916-17, judging by the age of the child who was my uncle, born 1912

fredcarney.jpg

Caryl

(posted this before on the forum but since there are no EYR soldiers represented in the thread yet, might as well post him again here - also my avator photo)

Minimum 12 years service I deduce from GC badges.

fredcarney.jpg

Caryl

This is also a very nice study of an early a MkI SMLE, as opposed the more commonly seen MkIII or MkIII*. You will note that it does not have the charger bridge but rather the sliding charger guide on the bolt head and that the rear sight protectors are integral to the handguard. If we could see the other side it would also undoubtedly have volley sights (you can see the mounting bolt for the sight pointer/plate midway between the band and the rear sight.)

I wonder where his waterbottle is?

Chris

Edited for an embarassing typo

Edited by 4thGordons

Thanks John,

Nice to see Notts and Derby. Any 17th men? Do you know battle patch for the Welbeck Rangers. I have a picture of a convelesing MM winner...Wilfred Brown and will post in due course. He was wounded 3/9/1916 and won his MM same day.

Regards

TT

Hi Tim, copy of a 17th Battn N/Derby flash.

post-20062-063738600 1285340671.jpg

Thanks John.......nice to see.

Here is my next contribution.......unknown soldier 24th Manchesters (Oldham)

Regards

TT

post-15846-071318500 1285341739.jpg

This is also a very nice study of an early a MkI SMLE, as opposed the more commonly seen MkIII or MkIII*. You will note that it does not have the charger bridge but rather the sliding charger guide on the bolt head and that the rear sight proctors are integral to the handguard. If we could see the other side it would also undoubtedly have volley sights (you can see the mounting bolt for the sight pointer/plate midway between the band and the rear sight.)

I wonder where his waterbottle is?

Chris

Thanks for this additional information on the rifle Chris, he was regular army (enlisted 1902, thanks also Grumpy for GC info ) so would this have been his rifle issued to him earlier than the outbreak of WW1?

Where should his water bottle have been?

Caryl

As you look at the photo on the left by his elbow you will see an empty cradle for his bottle.

Regards

TT

I have put this photo on before, it shows 2 sergeant's in the 10th Battn. N/Derby. The chap standing is Sgt.14275 A.A.Morris D.C.M.

post-20062-090865600 1285342745.jpg

Pte. 417129 Charles Henry Station M.M. T / RAMC/ NORTH MIDLAND. Charles won his M.M. at Gommecourt 1.7.1916 receiving gunshot wound to right arm.

post-20062-016596700 1285343458.jpg

post-20062-033507600 1285343527.jpg

Pte. 417129 Charles Henry Station M.M. T / RAMC/ NORTH MIDLAND. Charles won his M.M. at Gommecourt 1.7.1916 receiving gunshot wound to right arm.

His name is Charles Henry STATON, not Station

An un-named mounted soldier on horseback. Cavalry? Haven't a clue about this one. Written on the back of the card is the name "Brenda", maybe the horses name? Noticed that "Brenda" has a cresent shaped scar on her left thigh. Did they brand horses?

mounted2.jpg

Re: Frederick Carney's water bottle, there was another younger child in the photo, a toddler, maybe he lent his bottle to her to keep her quiet while photographer prepared the shot (?)

Caryl

Where should his water bottle have been?

Caryl

In the empty canvas carrier on his right hip! :lol:

and yes as a regular he would have been issued with an SMLE well before the war.

Chris

In the empty canvas carrier on his right hip! :lol:

and yes as a regular he would have been issued with an SMLE well before the war.

Chris

Thanks and sorry to be thick, didn't realise it was an empty canvas carrier :blush:

Caryl