Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

10 hours ago, AmericanTommy said:

Most likely removal for front lines duties. This is noted by many of the Scottish soldiers entering the trenches when glens were still worn (late 14 early 15). Patrick Watt's history of the 4th Camerons has a nice bit about it.

Removal for what purpose?  To preserve regimental or national anonymity?  If so, I would say that the kilts might be a giveaway.

1 hour ago, AmericanTommy said:

The bonnet was in the regimental pattern and was supposed to have a khaki covering over it for use in the trench, though many if not most were produced in khaki.

The original issue balmoral was in blue, and then came the khaki/drab version.

2BW_RSM_I.E._Niven_Mesopotamia_1917.jpg.c65c5223a8cbcbc0aad1fbb60ccad40e.jpg

Thanks, folks, very informative - so, no significance attached to headwear in the original postcard. I'm assuming style of wear was individual, rather than the Balmoral being worn, as per Cameronian and Royal Highlander,  à la beret.

Cheers, Pat.

Edited by Pat Atkins
To correct the autocorrect, which wanted to make that Transport Section Driver come from Cameroon...

14 hours ago, gordon92 said:

Removal for what purpose?  To preserve regimental or national anonymity?  If so, I would say that the kilts might be a giveaway.

Due to the badges attracting snipers as one officer says. I'll look up the official citation for you.

12 hours ago, AmericanTommy said:

Due to the badges attracting snipers as one officer says. I'll look up the official citation for you.

Would appreciate that.

29th Div. Transport Staff.

Front row, 2nd from left is S/Sgt Claude Leonard Gyde D.C.M.  (L.G. 11/3/1916; "for conspicuously good and valuable work as chief clerk in his office")

Scan_20171206 (2).jpg

12 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

29th Div. Transport Staff.

Front row, 2nd from left is S/Sgt Claude Leonard Gyde D.C.M.  (L.G. 11/3/1916; "for conspicuously good and valuable work as chief clerk in his office")

Scan_20171206 (2).jpg

In the photo he is ranked as a quarter-master-sergeant, with four inverted stripes right forearm.

Unknown RE's? 2nd Lt. with presumably wife/sweetheart. Reverse states Dec. 27th 1916. Interesting absence of moustache.

IMG_5351.JPG

Edited by PaddyO

The young man pictured is Richard Hilton, who was killed in action on the 6th August 1915 at Gallipoli.

He was a private (3288) in the 1st/5th Battalion of the Manchester Regiment.  He was 19 years old

and had only been in action for a few weeks (date of entry to the Balkans 22/6/15). He was from Hindley Green, near Wigan Lancashire.

When I was a small boy his brother Fred, who was the local barber used to cut my hair.

Mike.

Scan richard hilton.jpg

Edited by MikeyH

4 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

In the photo he is ranked as a quarter-master-sergeant, with four inverted stripes right forearm.

Many thanks. 

"Uncle Victor Haynes. 8th Aug 1918. He married an American and had 3 children. Cousin Barbara's Dad" 

Dorsetshire?

Scan_20171207 (2).jpg

"To Mother with fondest love, from Harold 13/3/19"   

Can anyone i.d the medal ribbon (BWM?) and/or make out the shoulder title please.

Scan_20171207.jpg

Scan_20171207 (3).jpg

On 12/6/2017 at 22:40, gordon92 said:

Would appreciate that.

Lt. Black in the Inverness Courier wrote:

"Our glengarry crests shine so much in the sun that for sniping purposes we put them in our pockets. On Wednesday night we were being relived in the trenches and I hurriedly put my crest on my cap. Luckily for me I did as shortly after dark, when passing a rather exposed corner, a random bullet took the ground, or an old disused trench in front, and then stuck me on the side of the head. It cut through part of the crest and was stopped by the holding pin underneath. My head was not cut but it bore and still bears to a certain extent the imprint of the pin!"

8 hours ago, AmericanTommy said:

Lt. Black in the Inverness Courier wrote:

"Our glengarry crests shine so much in the sun that for sniping purposes we put them in our pockets. On Wednesday night we were being relived in the trenches and I hurriedly put my crest on my cap. Luckily for me I did as shortly after dark, when passing a rather exposed corner, a random bullet took the ground, or an old disused trench in front, and then stuck me on the side of the head. It cut through part of the crest and was stopped by the holding pin underneath. My head was not cut but it bore and still bears to a certain extent the imprint of the pin!"

Many thanks.  I had not previously seen the word "crest" used to connote a cap badge.

On 8 December 2017 at 13:17, charlie962 said:

Australia ?                  australiaShoulderTitle.JPG.5f5b99877aef2533ec1fe4bb69a51295.JPG

Thanks Charlie, that looks a good fit. 

23 minutes ago, Grovetown said:

Apart from not being in an Australian uniform perhaps...

perhaps!

Thanks.

Edited by GWF1967

3 hours ago, charlie962 said:

Better idea-  NORFOLK

I concur with my learn'd friend.

On 12/10/2017 at 13:37, charlie962 said:

Better idea-  NORFOLK

On 12/10/2017 at 16:58, Derek Black said:

I concur with my learn'd friend.

Thanks for lending your eyes!