Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench map Overlay

towisuk

Ok the way I use "Linesman" trench map overlays with Google Earth...

Linesman is an excellent program, and when one moves the mouse cursor over the map the co-ordinates are shown. When you "snip" and save the trench map area you are interested in, take note of the co-ordinates shown in diagonal corners, this gives you a position with which to "fix" your map area on Google earth.

Google Earth shows the co-ordinates at the bottom of the screen as you move your cursor over the screen. Locate the two diagonal co-ordinates you made a note of when you "snipped" your trench map portion, and this is where you match up your trench map overlay onto Google Earth. Using roads etc one can then manipulate the overlay to fit the Google Earth view, the larger the area the map portion covers the more difficult this can be to accommodate, this is due to differences that Guy Smith explained in an earlier overlay topic here.......

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=149710&st=0&p=1442367&hl=+bonne%20+projection&fromsearch=1entry1442367

Guy did post this link earlier in this topic...#7

Now what I have described is for using overlays where co-ordinates are known, such as the "Linesman" package, unfortunately when posting aerial photo's taken from aircraft, the co-ordinates at the corner of the photo's are not available to get your "fix" so you must use roads and other visible landmarks to position your overlay.

I hope this helps

regards

Tom

Hillfield,

What did you discover by searching through previous threads on the subject, as suggested earlier? Did anything help?

Unless I am missing something really easy , Here is my scenario, I have Google Earth open and a view of the area High Wood to Crucifix Corner open what I wish to do is overlay a trench map from linesman (qct file) over this. M y problem seems to be that Google does not support qct files in thedrop down menu and if I use a program such as gpsbabel to convert the files it too does not support qct as used by linesman however it does support mmo as used by memory map, I have managed to save a "place" in Google and transfer this to linesman however this appears albeit accurately as simply a very small blue dot in the area concerned so is it possible just to say onGoogle click on? open? go to? save as?browse? etc which is what I really need to save an overlay as posted on the forum. Thanks in advance.

All I do is take the two pictures of the trench map and the google satellite picture which I have saved as jpegs. I open a picture editor and place one picture over the other, then set the top picture to 'transparent' view and use the sliding scale to nudge the transparency to a point that allows enough of the base image (in this case it's the google map) to show through without losing too much of the top image of the trench map. Then I rotate and nudge the top image around until a feature such as a road or railway lines up with both maps and save the image. I then crop off the edges, and Bob's your Father's Brother.

(you have to remember that roads may have moved a little over the years. I would think railways would stay pretty much where they were)

I then have something like this:

post-9980-078315000 1296296473.jpg

Hi Hillfield. If you are still having trouble with this, PM me with your email address and I send you an idiots guide how I did the above Serre overlay. Dave

Ok the way I use "Linesman" trench map overlays with Google Earth...

Linesman is an excellent program, and when one moves the mouse cursor over the map the co-ordinates are shown. When you "snip" and save the trench map area you are interested in, take note of the co-ordinates shown in diagonal corners, this gives you a position with which to "fix" your map area on Google earth.

Google Earth shows the co-ordinates at the bottom of the screen as you move your cursor over the screen. Locate the two diagonal co-ordinates you made a note of when you "snipped" your trench map portion, and this is where you match up your trench map overlay onto Google Earth. Using roads etc one can then manipulate the overlay to fit the Google Earth view, the larger the area the map portion covers the more difficult this can be to accommodate, this is due to differences that Guy Smith explained in an earlier overlay topic here.......

http://1914-1918.inv...1

Guy did post this link earlier in this topic...#7

Now what I have described is for using overlays where co-ordinates are known, such as the "Linesman" package, unfortunately when posting aerial photo's taken from aircraft, the co-ordinates at the corner of the photo's are not available to get your "fix" so you must use roads and other visible landmarks to position your overlay.

I hope this helps

regards

Tom

Tom

Thanks for that/I must admit that I did'nt see this post before I replied with my last post as we have now moved to 2 pages so apologies sent for my mis-understanding,I am going to try your last post method and see how I get on. Regards.

Hi Hillfield. If you are still having trouble with this, PM me with your email address and I send you an idiots guide how I did the above Serre overlay. Dave

Dave

Thanks for the post, I have managed to do the overlay with jpeg images with some success and agree with the alignment issues however I find the results satisfactory,I have apost from Tom to look at in more detail tonight and will let you all know the results.

Richard

Tom

Thanks for that/I must admit that I did'nt see this post before I replied with my last post as we have now moved to 2 pages so apologies sent for my mis-understanding,I am going to try your last post method and see how I get on. Regards.

Right tried that with no joy I am able to manipulate a jpg image to some degree but how and more importantly under what type of file do you save a Linesman map image as so google earth can open it and when you go to Google do you go to "add new image overlay" and if so it says it has to be a certain file of which mmo is not listed so at the momment I am rather lost

Hi Richard. I just save the linesman map overlay as a jpeg image, then when it's been positioned over the area of Google Earth I'm interested in I use the "snipping tool" in Windows 7 to save the image overlay on Google Earth.

This took me 2 minutes, and because High Wood is ostensibly the same today as in 1916, I just popped it over Google Earth, used the transparency control, matched it with the wood and "snipped it".

The image is retained on Google Earth, and will be there when you re-open it, if you want get rid of it, just go to "my places" on the left of the Google Earth screen and click on it...

If I had taken the time I could have got almost a perfect match with the roads today.....but it's just an example of how quick one can do a small area.

regards

Tom

post-5284-047663300 1296367655.jpg

Tom

Thanks for that, it really does sound quite simple and I have already used some of the techniques with regard to Google Earth eg transparency slides etc so that should be ok, I will have a go at saving the Lineman map as a jpeg file and go from there and hopefully have a result as quickly as you did, your result is exactly what I am looking for ! Regards.

Richard

Tom

Thanks for that, it really does sound quite simple and I have already used some of the techniques with regard to Google Earth eg transparency slides etc so that should be ok, I will have a go at saving the Lineman map as a jpeg file and go from there and hopefully have a result as quickly as you did, your result is exactly what I am looking for ! Regards.

Richard

Tom

It's no joy at this end I'm afraid so here is what I am doing. Linesman map is open via memory map, I go to Overlay tab export all save as in the drop down menu there is no jpg/jpeg option to save the map as, am I doing something so obviously wrong that I can't see it and you did a great job in two minutes, I am running Vista and have snipping tool for later but it is the saving of the Linesman map as a jpeg/jpg file that has me beat. Thanks for your help so far and staying with me !

OK, zero option if nothing else is working.

Do you have the linesman image on your computer screen?

If so, just press the button 'Print Screen' on your keyboard.

Then open a picture editor.

When it is open click 'edit' then 'paste as new image' and you get a screen grab which you can save as a jpeg and crop to suit. then just do what I said in my earlier post.

OK, zero option if nothing else is working.

Do you have the linesman image on your computer screen?

If so, just press the button 'Print Screen' on your keyboard.

Then open a picture editor.

When it is open click 'edit' then 'paste as new image' and you get a screen grab which you can save as a jpeg and crop to suit. then just do what I said in my earlier post.

No luck with that system thanks Andy, I'm going to contact Linesman/GW Digital to see what they say.

Is this a case of the programme being installed but some features are not working properly? Maybe uninstalling it and reinstalling would solve the problem?

I confess I'm grasping at straws here.

Thanks to everyone that has contributed to the post so far, I have resigned myself to the fact that it is a challenge that I will conquer later when I have more time to do so. Thanks once again speak soon with another dilemma.

• 2 years later...

Does anyone have an overlay map of The Dochy Farm area for September 1917? I'm traveling to Belgium next summer to research this area and this would be an awesome help. Thank you!

• 6 years later...

I hate to barge in on this topic, but I vaguely recollect a map (from the Twenties?) showing an overlay of the Western Front trench system on Britain  

Does anyone have or know of this?