Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

36th Ulster

Guest mini850

My Grandfather, John Ritchie, was with B Battery 153 Brigade Royal Field Artillery, 36th Ulster Division, from 1915 to 1919. I have his diary, regimental photos, medals, buttons, maps, paybooks and even a letter from a German prisoner.

Can anyone tell me how a Geordie, through and through, (from South Shields) came to be in an Ulster regiment. All the 36th Ulster information I've read dwells on the N Irish roots of the regiment but my grandfather only mentions Londoners ("in the main foul mouthed and couldn't do any work") and Northerners (ie north England) whom he thought capable of a good day's work.

Notable in his diaries are the loss of 'Gobaliah' the battery dog whilst trekking to Poperinge which led to the gunner responsible getting 'thin time' from Capt. Huskisson. Also - on 3.9.18 during the night: " a German came out of the long grass, put his arms up and said 'camarade'. Our gunner got the shock of his life and shook hands with him."

Other good anecdotes too...

Thanks for any input.

All of the Royal Field Artillery units raised and eventually attached to the 36th (Ulster) Division were from London. The Ulster infantry was very quickly raised and made ready, as the men were mostly volunteers of the UVF. They had been in training and were increasingly being armed over the Home Rule Bill. However, the UVF had no artillery.

The 36th's Divisional History records that the 153rd and 154th Brigades were raised by the British Empire League recruiting chiefly from Croydon, Norbury and Sydenham. The Divisional History has some 14 mentions of 153 Bde. If you don't have access to it and want more detail, just e-mail me.

As from the end of March you will be able to find out all the information you need on the 36th (Ulster) Division on the South Belfast Friends of the Somme Association new website. I will post the new address when the site is fully operational.

For the minute try

http://mysite.freeserve.com/SBFSA

The new site will have a full Divisional history including information on the 153rd.

I would be intrested in adding anything you have about the 36th (especially dating around the battle of the Somme, 1st July 1916) to the new site.