Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Police Gazette. May 25th 1915

ypres

A fellow Pal is actually writing a history of the 1st Bn. in 1914.

Hi guys

I am that Pal.

Firstly a little bit of human interest for the desertion / AWOL story.....

Two of my Great Uncles ( 1st bn Grenadiers ) were killed at Ypres in 1914 - now you know where I got the inspiration from. One of thier brothers was serving with the ASC also at Ypres and could get no details of what had happened to them, all he knew was that the Grenadiers had suffered terribly. He was going spare with worry - another brother had already been wounded and captured with the 1st Gordons ( at the infamous surrender I believe ) and a further brother in the 11th hussars had not made contact. No-one could give him any news and no-one would allow him to leave his unit to find out so one night whilst on rest he drove over to where the Guards were only to find that both of his brothers had been killed. On his return he was put up on a charge of AWOL. Wouldn't happen today would it? Pity we didn't have a "saving private Ryan" policy then.

Interesting to note that the Grenadier Guards deserter / AWOL list contains men who have either not been to the front yet or were on leave.

Last weekend I was at a Richard Holmes talk and book signing at NAM for his new publication "Tommy". He mentioned deserters etc and stated that few on active service deserted whilst with thier units - the majority deserted during leave and most often when on a trip home because of the emotion of it all. Many men refused to return home from F&F on leave as they knew it would distress them and their families too much when the time came to return. In fact the feeling was that they could only say goodbye to their famies once. It makes sense if you think about it.

If you ever get a chance to see him I can not recommend it highly enough. He brings it all alive with his vast amount of knowledge, superb story telling and even a well placed and relevant joke or two. Buy the book it's well worth it. Top man! Why isn't he in the Pals?

Dave

Hello Mandy

If the opporrtunity arrises, can you look for any 1/5th Beds, but specifically a Pvt Herbert C Kendall, No 4400 (a TF man).

Thank you, Steve

Chad,

No 1/5th or 2/5th on the territorial list but 40 on the main list for the whole regiment. just looking on first two pages i have found 3 3rd Bn., 9th Bn., and 2nd Bn. If you want the whole list then let me know.

Steve, no 1/5th Bedfordshires on the territorial list. No-one names Kendall.

Hope thats ok for you both,

Regards Mandy.

PS had great time on the somme despite the weather being so changeable but did not do all i wished to, never mind there is always next year!!!

M

Ed,

Better late than never. Found two for you from the Guards Depot.

Robert Conway, 19¼, 5’ 9”, complexion -, hair -, eyes -, labourer.

Enl- 19/1/15, Bacup. Born ----.

Des- 17/4/15, Caterham.

Joseph Thorpe, 14715, 37¼, 5’ 9¾”, --, --, --, collier.

Enl- 12/1/15, Birmingham. Born --.

Des- 19/4/15, caterham

Scar forehead, right hand.

While I was over on the Somme I was able to go the exact spot where L/Cpl Joe Kitchin died, then visited his grave. Very moving for me and an experience I won't forget.

Mandy.

Hi Mandy

Many thanks for that. I'll look these two up in on my database when I get home.

Pleased to hear that you were able to visit the grave of L/Cpl. Kitchin - as you are the present custodian of his commemorative plaque, it is especially poignant.

Best wishes

Ed

Peter,

will take a bit of time as there are 40 but have made a start and will continue tomorrow and post it asap.

Mandy

• 6 months later...

Hello

Could you please look up any Coldstream Gds? I have medals to several men who either deserted and one who just had Xmas off! Cost him (and me!!) his LSGC as he served his 18 years...

Thanks very much

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking for Police Gazette info on Pte William Jones 9/Royal Welch Fusiliers who went missing the night of 15/16 June 1917 when stationed near Kemmel.

Also Pte George Watkins, 13/Welsh Reg who went absent circa 31 December 1917 (not entirely sure of this date).

Anyone have this available - gratefully received.

• 2 months later...

Ian,

Sorry it has taken time, i have been off line for over 6 months, just got back.

Hope this attachment works.

Mandy.

Coldstreamer.doc

Hello

Nice that you are back!

Well I had 2 on the list (woolrich and murphy) so I am a happy bunny - I hoped for one !

Thank you very much

Regards Ian

Ian

Glad to have been of sevice,

Mandy

Rhys

The paper i have is dated May 15 so i can't be of help i'm afraid.

Mandy

• 3 months later...
Rhys

The paper i have is dated May 15 so i can't be of help i'm afraid.

Mandy

Hi Mandy!

Is it too late to ask about deserters?

I'm interested in South Lancs 1st and 2nd battalion

Thanking you in advance

Annie

• 2 weeks later...

Annie,

Give me a wee while to ,look at the pater again and I'll get back to you, only got back from holiday last night and am in the middle of getting all the washing done and getting kids ready for school next week and have to go back to work thursday so might not be til next week,

hope thats okay for you,

Mandy

Annie,

sorry i have taken longer than i thought to get back to you,

there are only 3 south lancs lads and they are all in the 7th Bn

Mandy

Hello Mandy,

If you get the opportunity would you please take a peek at the Gazette and let me know how many lads from the 15th Hussars were listed?

Thanks,

~Dan

Dan,

will look for you but might not be till next week

busy with the kids tomorrow then working three long days,

Mandy

As an aside, whilst looking at archived copies of the local paper in Scunthorpe library I came across a series of reports of soldiers from the Manchester Regiment arrested at Brigg station after going AWOL from their camp at Cleethorpes. The usual procedure seems to have been arrest and detention until they could be collected. Am I right in thinking that AWOL becomes desertion if it lasts for more than a week? I got the impression that they were still in uniform.

No worries Mandy.  To paraphrase my old Platoon Sgt, I'm on your time, so whenever you get the chance...  :)  Thanks!

~Dan

Mandy!

Thanks so much for looking for me I appreciate it! -

looks like I've got a bunch of good men!! :rolleyes:

When are you going to tell us about your trip? Did you take loads of pictures?

Annie

Annie,

are you taking about my trip this last July, if so it was great as usual although the weather could have been better, took lots of photo's but mostly of the graves i wanted and some of the Redan Ridge which are much the same as Paul Reeds,,

If you want any South Lancs lads I will sort them out for you so please let me know,

Mandy