Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Battalion Royal Fusiliers

oldbellsfarm

Sergeant George Alfred Oliver (born about 1889)

Compiling a family history and have found a military connection but cannot make any progress with obtaining detail.

From his marriage certificate issued in Dover 3 April 1915, he is noted as Sergeant in 6th Battalion Royal Fusiliers and resident at Duke of Yorks School, Dover.

I do not have any other information about him except his father's name was Henry Charles Oliver and at some time after leaving the army he lived in Colchester, Essex with his wife Ellen Davidson Oliver (nee Seaton).

I would appreciate any guidance on how to make progress. ( I have already searched on the Ancestry site but cannot find him there).

Three possibles here -

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/search-results.asp?searchtype=browserefine&query=first_name%3dgeorge%7clast_name%3doliver%7ccorpname%3droyal%20fusiliers&catid=10&pagenumber=1&querytype=1&mediaarray=*

Medal card of Oliver, George

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Fusiliers 320 Serjeant

Labour Corps 66942 Serjeant

Royal Fusiliers 3293 Serjeant

Being the most likely.

John

But you can eliminate 320 George Oliver as he has both QSA and KSA medals and your man would have been too young if born in 1889.

Also George J Oliver 10693 was KIA 3/5/1915.

John

Thank you for the information. I have looked at the medal card via Ancestry.co.uk and now done a search using the regimental number 3293 but no records show up from the on-line search. Do you have any advice about my next steps?

David

But you can eliminate 320 George Oliver as he has both QSA and KSA medals and your man would have been too young if born in 1889.

Also George J Oliver 10693 was KIA 3/5/1915.

John

• 3 weeks later...

I now have a little more information about Sergeant Oliver any help would be gratefully received.

There seems to be some confusion in the family about his name. His marriage certificate in 1915 Dover gives his name as George Alfred Oliver, he apparently signed his name A H Oliver (I think the H was for henry) and his son registered his death in 1965 as Alfred H C Oliver.

He was definitely in the Royal Fusiliers and was Regimental Sergeant Major at one point. He is supposed to have 'organised' been central at the Queen's Parade in germany. Don't know the year.

Does this trigger any other possibilties?

This might elicit more responses if in another part of the Forum. Not sure it belongs in Virtual Library. Copy your query over into the 'Soldiers' part.

Meanwhile - welcome to the Forum! I hope you get some more help when you reassign your posts.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice. I can't find out how to transfer it to 'Soldiers' forum. Is there a simple way or do I need to start again from scratch?

Appreciate a steer.

David

This might elicit more responses if in another part of the Forum. Not sure it belongs in Virtual Library. Copy your query over into the 'Soldiers' part.

Meanwhile - welcome to the Forum! I hope you get some more help when you reassign your posts.

Jim

• 2 months later...