Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great women of the Forum

Cynthia

:) As I am suffering from a case of everything pushing off the progress of my second book, I got to thinking about all the excellent help and support I have received from this Forum. It goes without saying that when I started my research 5 years ago, there were so many gentlemen who helped me, especially Ian Whitlock, Tom Morgan, Terry Reeves, and Jim Grundy, that I would not have found out much of anything without them. I am proud to say that I still count them among my friends, and have added other gentlemen besides.

But over the past year I have found that the women of the Forum have gravitated together to provide not only information, but support, encouragement, and a perspective that has enriched not only my life, but this Forum itself. I wanted to take the time today to say 'thank you,' especially to Christina Holstein, whose book on Verdun and Pals tour are without equal; SueL, who is probably the most incredible resource on nursing in the world, not just this Forum; Alie, who gave me 'Tom' and 'Bill' and is the only person I could think of who would make being caught in the dark near Victor Richardson's grave a fun experience; Kate Wills, whose generous spirit and wit make the Forum a pleasure always; Michelle Young, who will change the world's view of English cooking forever and understands cricket, the Great War, nursing, and just about everything under the sun, and cares for 'the boys' with a sensitivity beyond measure; Myrtle (Maggie) for her gracious charm; and certainly Gwyn, whose incomparable writing will take the world by storm and be on the bestseller list in a twinkling. Oh, and Fleur - what would birthdays be without her?? There are new members, too, some I have 'met', so to speak, like Mandy and Marianne, but they are all part of the group, too.

I know I have forgotten someone, but this is for all of the women (I wanted to say 'ladies' Gwyn, but I didn't!!) of this Forum. When I joined up as member number 29, I remember feeling somewhat alone, but now I think we have a terrific mix and I am honoured to be a part of it.

Must be the transit of Venus prompting this monologue - almost sounds as if I won the Academy Award, so please indulge me on this!

Cynthia

Cynthia,

A humble thank you for your generous praise. This forum has provided me with laughter, information and support and you have been part of that. As someone who struggled to write a book on a technical subject that would be readable AND comprehensible (and I know all about blood, sweat and tears when it comes to that), I can only admire the fluency with which you write and your devotion to Robert Start and his memory. Praise from you is praise indeed.

Christina

ahhhhh, Cynthia!

That was really lovely - and has made me feel 110% better cos I am having a god awful day here trying to get a house sold and another house bought and dealing with an exceptionaly gready seller who keeps changing the rules and is going to make me bawl before this day is out ... But you, Cynthia, have just made me feel kinda warm and loved and proud to be a member of this merry band of Pals.

Thank you *HUGE HUG*

Fleur

Cynthia,

Being new to the forum i thank you, I am looking forward to hours of fun on the forum and i have noticed that the women do get their two penneth in

Love and best wishes, Mandy

I am proud to say that I still count them among my friends, and have added other gentlemen besides.

Cynthia

People only reap what they sow - I'm sure that any help you get, is given in return for your kindness, humour and understanding. Now, about those men... are you willing to share? :unsure:

Sue

As a representative of the monstrous regiment of men, can I also thank our lady members for all their great contributions to the life of the forum.

The Great War is a conflict where women suffered grievously both during it and after . At the same time it allowed women to build the foundations of the greater equality with men that they enjoy(?) today.

The mountain of grief placed upon mothers and wives of all nations in the years after the war is almost to painful to contemplate and perhaps men are beginning to realise finally what is the awful real cost of conflict. The spectre of war can only be finally banished when both sexes stand solidly together and reject its total sterility.

Weapons and soldiering are greatly appealing to men - Lord knows I am as obsessed as most - but we must ,I think, temper our love of "boys toys".

To the ladies - God bless 'em. They are welcome here.

As a representative of the monstrous regiment of men, can I also thank our lady members for all their great contributions to the life of the forum.

The Great War is a conflict where women suffered grievously both during it and after . At the same time it allowed women to build the foundations of the greater equality with men that they enjoy(?) today.

The mountain of grief placed upon mothers and wives of all nations in the years after the war is almost to painful to contemplate and perhaps men are beginning to realise finally what is the awful real cost of conflict. The spectre of war can only be finally banished when both sexes stand solidly together and reject its total sterility.

Weapons and soldiering are greatly appealing to men - Lord knows I am as obsessed as most - but we must ,I think, temper our love of "boys toys".

To the ladies - God bless 'em. They are welcome here.

Ian, Cynthia,

It was truely a joy to find this forum. All Pals (men and women) have been extremely helpful, supportive and have gone out of their way in helping me research my family in the Great War. It's been a profound experience and I will be visiting the battlefields for the first time this year. I know it will be extremely moving to visit the place where my great uncle died at the age of 20 years. (This was only possible because of the help of the forum).

I greatly admire your writing Cynthia on the subject, I was fascinated by the brothers you wrote about and the conflict you describe in the family. This mirrors to some extent the 'stories' from my own family history.

Ian, thank you for your point about women during the war. It's one of the things that I didn't tend to think about, but I know my grandmother lost her fiance and her brother in the Great War in the same year (1917). That must have been awful for her. She later met my grandfather and married in 1919. Also when I look at the picture of my great uncle Hugh who looks about 17....it's unimagineable how his mother must have felt on getting the telegram.

All the best to you.

Joanne

Ian

I think you made an excellent point. The suffering endured by the women of the Great War when their menfolk were killed, or even worse posted missing, or returned with hideous wounds is one of the most overlooked aspects of this terrible war. Grief is a terrible emotion, and the agony so many women must have gone through and endured for years must have been almost unbearable, yet they did bear it with incredible stoicism.

Sorry, Cynthia ifI am encouraging a highjacking of your original post, that was not the intention. I am glad to see that war or the study of it not only produces "bands of brothers" but also "bands of sisters".

Tim

I think you made an excellent point. The suffering endured by the women of the Great War when their menfolk were killed, or even worse posted missing, or returned with hideous wounds is one of the most overlooked aspects of this terrible war. Grief is a terrible emotion, and the agony so many women must have gone through and endured for years must have been almost unbearable, yet they did bear it with incredible stoicism.

Sorry, Cynthia ifI am encouraging a highjacking of your original post, that was not the intention. I am glad to see that war or the study of it not only produces "bands of brothers" but also "bands of sisters".

Hi All:

I often think of Mrs. Charlotte Wood who lost five sons in the Great War. During the opening of the Vimy Memorial, King Edward VIII met Mrs. Wood and said "Please God, Mrs. Wood, it shall never happen again." I'm afraid we haven't done a very good job of making that a reality. :(

My apologies as well Cynthia for deviating from the theme of your thread.

Garth

Ian, Garth and Tim,

That is one of the beauties of this Forum - that the subject can grow and change and morph into other things, much as one has conversations in a pub or restaurant. Especially for those of us in other places, where going to the local is not an option, this Forum gives us a chance do that. The only problem is I am usually at work, so a pint or two is, unfortunately, NOT an option!

And Myrtle - I think you would still have gracious charm while driving, even if the words were not very charming!

So I will raise my imaginary pint to the Forum - long may it reign!

Cynthia

PS Yes, Sue, I will be happy to share, but Jacky is mine!

Cynthia, you’re determined to coerce me into finishing the thing somehow or other, are you not? I am embarrassed!!

Dunno about best seller lists. All I aim to do is make enough to have the sills on my 1987 XR2 repaired…

Thank you, Cynthia!

Gwyn (blushing)

I have only had the pleasure and honnour to converse in print to one lady in the forum , and that would be Christina Holstein . She has been extremely kind and patient with my queries . The rest of the lady's here from their posts seem to be a very interesting and knowlegable group . If I may , I would also like to add my thanks for their contributions .

Thankyou Lady's .

Phil.

Dear Cynthia,

Many’s the time I have remarked that yet another year has come and gone, and once again I have been ignored by the organisers of the Women of the Year presentations. Seriously, I know why: I haven’t brought peace to the world; saved lives; created an international business; crossed the Atlantic in a bread bin; or, like you, written a successful novel and embarked upon another. Such things require vision, talent, and determination, areas where I don’t register a bleep. I used to be a grate girl, but that was by association with ashpans and nutty slack. Great woman? Well, the latter bit’s right; but I do love this Forum and the people who make a home here. Best of all, I can, in reality, call many of them friends, and some I have had the privilege and pleasure of meeting in person. So it was last November when I met yourself and Roberta, a wonderful occasion, and I do hope we can repeat that soon.

So, until I locate a large bread-bin and a lot of courage, I send my love and best wishes, and thanks for making my day with your posting.

Your friend

Kate

PS Guys and gals of the Forum, let’s all get together for a group hug. Squeeze….

• Admin

Thanks Cynthia, I have only just picked this up, having just endured the weekend from hell, (although with some bright spots eg, my son Toms second 1/2 century in 4 days, and the second one in which he got the landmark with a 6 which hit a car!)

Your posting has cheered me up no end. :P

Guest dinkidi

Why bother what the outside world thinks? What Little Ern thinks should be more important. If you're his "World" What more could you possibly want? Suggest that existing bread-bin is adequate for optimal purpose.

ooRoo to you two too

After suffering from a lack of time, and then a connection to the Forum yesterday, I wanted to just say that, even if Gwyn is embarrassed by what I wrote, I truly think the world should be waiting, and highly anticipating, her work. As many of you can see from her postings, she is without par with her writing and her facility with words. So, get ready world, because that book is on its way! (please still talk to me, Gwyn - I only hate to deprive the world of what I have had the pleasure of reading!)

Again, to Christina (and if you haven't bought her book on Verdun, you should - the research, information, and well written style will keep you reading until the end), and Fleur, and Joanne, and of course, the incomparable Michelle, you have made this Forum a real joy to be part of, and given so much information.

And Kate - I envy your ability to say such witty and wonderful things, and you never run dry! How I wish I had you at some of my staff meetings! But, you can wear your Cleveland Indians cap with pride - they have been on somewhat of a winning streak of late - hard to believe, so now that I've said that, they will probably go back to their usual losing ways!

Now, back to work!

Cynthia