Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GWF Conference - April 2011

Neil Mackenzie

My cheque is in the post (honest!) and I am already looking forward to next year's event.

I have just booked my accomodation at the Norwood Hotel as the one I used last year was OK (and convenient) but continues to get terrible reviews on Trip Advisor.

The Norwood is only a 2* - which might put some people off - and is a shortish cab ride to the Tally Ho. You can probably get a bus as well but it looks a bit too far to walk.

Where are other people staying or intending to stay? If you are at the Norwood please let me know as if you are coming from the south east of England I could possibly offer you a lift.

Best wishes.

Neil

Neil - we are booked into a Premier Inn on the Hagley Road - almost certainly too far to walk to the Tally Ho but I really wouldn't want to stay at the Kensington again next year, no matter how convenient it is!

Alan

We've just this minute booked for the Premier Inn on Hagley Road too - as much as I enjoyed the company of those who I shared the hotel with last year, I really want a better breakfast this year :D

I'm too tight for the Premier Inn, and will be back at the Travelodge. I'll probably blow the difference on books anyway. Come to think of it, I already have.

Keith

I will keep a weather-eye on Laterooms and a deal will appear. For £45, I stayed at the brand new 4* Village Solihull last year which was superb with an excellent breakfast - the only problem was that it was a bit too far away. the commercial establishments in the Hagley Rd are my normal haunts when on business in Brum. They are perfectly serviceable at around £30 inc breakfast.

• 3 months later...

FYI, just booked in here

seemed reasonable and there's a bus almost to the door of the Old Contemptibles

now just have to tackle Eurostar and the LMS railway company, or whatever they call it nowadays

cheers Martin B

seemed reasonable and there's a bus almost to the door of the Old Contemptibles

cheers Martin B

Martin

I have stayed here before - I found it OK although when it was raining you had to run for breakfast!!! - parking OK

PS - don't forget to get your mobile insured

see you there

John

• 1 month later...

For anyone still mulling over their accommodation needs, you might consider the Conference Park at the University of Birmingham. Excellent facilities, good B&B rates (very good weekend rates for all and discounts for Uni alumni), free parking and a (30 minute or so) walk to Tally Ho.

I'm staying there on the Friday and Saturday nights and can give lifts in/back on Saturday. It's a straightforward bus or even rail journey into the Old Contemptibles on the Friday night.

Details at http://www.has.bham.ac.uk/conferences/accomm/

There's also some video (2:30 mins in from start) at http://www.has.bham.ac.uk/virtualtours/conference-video.shtml

booked for the Premier Inn on Hagley Road too -

Stayed there last year and can recommend.

A decent number of restaurants on Hagley Road for anyone stopping on the Friday night.

I went to the Rose Murree (Indian) which had come well recommended on a foodie board I use. And excellent northern mini-chain, Akbars, is literally next door to the Premier. The place that gets loads of foodie plugs (and was packed last year - I couldnt get in) is an Iranian, Shiraz, at 167 Hagley Road (although be aware that it's an alcohol free place)

Shiraz, at 167 Hagley Road (although be aware that it's an alcohol free place)

What, with a name like Shiraz? :lol:

Roger

There are loads of good eating places round there, Ask is right oppposite, there's TGI Friday's next door, a decent pub called The Garden House, if you turn left and head down the Hagley Road for about 15 minutes you get to the edge of Bearwood, there's a good curry house called the Haweli, and of course the legendary Neelams kebab house.

Turn right and you have about a 15 minute walk to Broad Street, the centre for pubs, clubs, bars etc. If you want a proper Balti, best head for either Selly Oak or get a taxi to the Ladypool Road (and remember to take your own booze!)

I have booked into the Menzies Strathallan this year via Laterooms. I think it's at the bottom of the Hagley Rd about 2 miles from the Tally Ho. It apparently does a decent breakfast. Planning to get a bus to the Tally Ho and a cab back to enable a few beers to be consumed.

Hotel accomodation seems a wee bit more expensive this year than last.