Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Attending Mass in Ypres

Guest Steve Seaman

Guest Steve Seaman

Hi,

Off to the Salient this weekend taking my son and his mate on their first trip.The only problem is that my son's friend is a devote Catholic and his mother insists he attend Mass.

Can anyone suggest a Catholic Church in Ypres and preferably times of Mass.

Thanks in anticipation

Steve

I think there is one beside the Novotel in Ypres. (From the Menin gate, go directly up the street, take the first left and go down that street).

I think I saw Mass times as 4pm on Saturday and 9am on Sunday. (Not sure what the story is with language though - I hope his Flemish is good!)

I'm sure a local will have a better idea than me.

-- Viola

Hi,

I think you will find that the only church that is not RC is our own St Georges.

Hope you all have a good weekend and fine weather.

Mandy

I think you will find that the only church that is not RC is our own St Georges.

I am a comited atheist and not very knowledgable on church related matters but st Georges is supposed to be multy denominational does that not mean that it s catholic as well as Prodestant (as well as others)?

Brum

Guest Steve Seaman

Hi Brum,

Neither am I , All I know is, I have orders from his Mother that he must attend Mass.

I only go to Church for Hatch , Match and Disptach occassions.

Steve

Hi all

St Georges is inter-denominational but as this young man (and his family) are devout catholics he should go to RC mass as St Georges is slightly different.

Mandy

As a Catholic... and not wanting to bore everyone in minutae, the Catholic Church requirement is that members attend a Roman Catholic mass, inter denominational services don't count. It has mostly to do with the belief we have that the wine and eucharist are actually turned into the blood and body of Christ, as well as the belief that only a Catholic priest can perform this miracle.

As I said there are lots of minutae, and before any one gets too upset I have only tried to give a very high level cursory explanation here. Andy

I have attended a service at St George's and thought it was COE, or Episcopal was we say in the USA except those of us raised Baptist who call em Whiskeypalians. ;) They allow the consumption of swill! :angry: The lips that touch swill will never touch mine! ( Swill consumption among female pals will leap!)