Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Austrian / Austro-Hungarian Medals & Ribbons

mikehm

Dear All,

A few years ago, I was in Prague, and picked up a number of medals from junk shops and the like. Many of these are on the wrong ribbons, and I would like to obtain lengths of the correct ribbon for the following:

Jubilee Medal for Civil Servants, 1898 (Jubilaums-Medaille fur Zivilstaatsbedienstete)

Bronze Bravery Medal 1914-18

War Commemorative Medal for the Defence of the Tirol 1914-18 (Tiroler Lanesdenkmunze)

General Service Medal (Kriegsmedaille 1873)

I am also in need of the correct ribbon for a medal I have been unable as yet to identify. It is 25mm in diameter, and apparently made out of aluminium. The obverse bears the profiles of the Kaiser and the Emporeror (?) together with the legend, "Viribus Unitis"; the reverse bears the inscription, "Zur Erinnerung an den Weltkrieg! 1914".

Can anyone identify the "Viribus Unitis" medal for me?

Can anyone point me in the direction of suitable supplies of ribbon?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

ATB

Mike

Try World Medals {Google} They supply many Ribbons from many countries

Your medal is the Iron Cross for Merit. mainly given to Medical, Field railway and Military Post Office personnel. Viribus Unitis - By United Forces.

Ribbon would be red white stripes for war services

Cheers

Dear General Betts,

Many thanks for the suggestion. World Medals are indeed offering some of the ruibbons I need, and I have just placed an order, together with a request for the ones that do not appear in their on-line catalogue.

Dear Colonel Doyle,

Thank you very much indeed for your reply. My apologies, but it would appear that my original description has misled you somewhat. The medal in question is aluminium, not iron, and circular, not cruciform. Let me see if I can work out how to upload a photograph...

No, blast it, I can't. It appears that I can only upload thumbnails. Do these help?

post-31642-046346900 1284741534.jpgpost-31642-056400800 1284741551.jpg

Yours aye,

Mike

In my honest opinion your "Viribus Unitis" medal is one of many unofficial items of "Patriotika" promoting unity between Austria and Germany in WW1 with many such items as this being sold to the public to raise cash for the war effort.

Connaught Stranger.

In my honest opinion your "Viribus Unitis" medal is one of many unofficial items of "Patriotika" promoting unity between Austria and Germany in WW1 with many such items as this being sold to the public to raise cash for the war effort.

Dear Colonel Stranger,

Thank you for your kind response. I would have thought the same myself, had it not been for the presence of the word "Erinnerung" - which must surely imply that the original owner had done something more to acquire it than to pay for it? If, however, it is not recognisable as a known official award, then your suggestion would appear to be the most-likely alternative.

Dear Colonel Stranger,

Thank you for your kind response. I would have thought the same myself, had it not been for the presence of the word "Erinnerung" - which must surely imply that the original owner had done something more to acquire it than to pay for it? If, however, it is not recognisable as a known official award, then your suggestion would appear to be the most-likely alternative.

This word "Erinnerung" turns up on many items of Patriotika, Prussian and Austrian alike

the word loosely translated means "remembrance" or "in memory" and in this instance in my opinion refers to the partnership between Austria and Prussia.

With regards "Viribus Unitis" it was also the Motto of Emperor Franz-Josef.

Connaught Stranger.

This word "Erinnerung" turns up on many items of Patriotika, Prussian and Austrian alike

the word loosely translated means "remembrance" or "in memory" and in this instance in my opinion refers to the partnership between Austria and Prussia. It was also the Motto of Emperor Franz-Josef.

Connaught Stranger.

It also turns up on German Jewish Yarzheit plaques for many periods as well...for example, I have my Great Grandfather's and Great Grandmother's...he died in 1909, she in 1938, both in Meiningen:

Julius%20and%20Freida%20Schlossinger%20Yartzheit%20Calendar.jpg

-Daniel

My thanks to Colonels Stranger and ph0ebus. My German not being as good as it ought to be, I had mistakenly thought that the word implied more than merely "memory" - I was thinking in terms of "memorial" or "remembrance", and reading far too much into it!

ATB

MIke (newly-promoted lance-jack, I see!)

My thanks to Colonels Stranger and ph0ebus. My German not being as good as it ought to be, I had mistakenly thought that the word implied more than merely "memory" - I was thinking in terms of "memorial" or "remembrance", and reading far too much into it!

ATB

MIke (newly-promoted lance-jack, I see!)

Fear not, I can assure you my German is in all likelihood far worse than yours. Congratulations on your promotion!

There was a website I found once that was great at identifying medals like those you are asking about...I will see if I can locate it again.

-Daniel

For Medal / Militaria identification I strongly recommend

The Gentleman's Military Interest Club

where I am a fellow member :w00t: :-

http://gmic.co.uk/

Connaught Stranger.

Could you post a picture of the ribbons that came with the medals originally,

they might be of interest to medal collectors like moi! ;)

Connaught Stranger. :D