Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harp and Crown

tommy mcclimonds

Pals

Picked up the attached poster and I thought I would bring it to the attention of anyone interested. Venue, dates and times are as per poster. Anyone not familiar with Lisburn the Linen Centre is the large building right in the middle of the city. It will be well worth the effort attending - and admission I am told is free.

Regards, Tommy.

post-29775-074232100 1284465644.jpg

Serious question, Tommy.

Can only line regiments be considered as Irish?

I ask because of the lack of their badge in the line up on the poster.

Does their Household status somehow disqualify them from being Irish?

I might drop in on the exhibition at some stage.

Cheers,

Nigel

Hi Nigel

With the central prominence of the badge of the Royal Irish and the badges of it's antecedant regiments the poster suggests to me where the focus will be. I have no insider knowledge or information but will certainly go along to the exhibition to have a good look round.

Regards, Tommy.

Thanks for your reply Tommy. I've just re-read my post and it makes no sense!

I was asking why the Irish Guards' badge was not depicted in the line up, but I've also noticed that the cavalry regiments are not represented either.

Cheers,

Nigel

Is that a London Irish Rifles badge? - certainly not a "line" regiment.

With the central prominence of the badge of the Royal Irish and the badges of it's antecedent regiments the poster suggests to me where the focus will be.

Quite. No Royal Dublin Fusiliers, no Munsters, no Leinsters, no Connaught Rangers .... you could never accuse an Ulsterman of being narrow minded :)

But to be fair they do say

The Royal Irish Regiment traces its lineage back through the long and illustrious histories of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, the Royal Ulster Rifles and the Royal Ulster Fusiliers. The amalgamation in 1968 of these three regiments created the Royal Irish Rangers. In 1992 the Royal Irish Rangers and the Ulster Defence Regiment were amalgamated to form the Royal Irish Regiment.

Quite. No Royal Dublin Fusiliers, no Munsters, no Leinsters, no Connaught Rangers .... you could never accuse an Ulsterman of being narrow minded :)

But to be fair they do say

The Royal Irish Regiment traces its lineage back through the long and illustrious histories of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, the Royal Ulster Rifles and the Royal Ulster Fusiliers. The amalgamation in 1968 of these three regiments created the Royal Irish Rangers. In 1992 the Royal Irish Rangers and the Ulster Defence Regiment were amalgamated to form the Royal Irish Regiment.

I take it that the reference to the Royal Ulster Fusiliers is a typo and it should be Royal Irish Fusiliers?

Is that a London Irish Rifles badge?

What about 4th Battalion Royal Irish Rangers (The North Irish Militia) !!

Regards, Tommy.

you could never accuse an Ulsterman of being narrow minded :)

How do you know it was an Ulsterman !!! :hypocrite:

Regards, Tommy.

What about 4th Battalion Royal Irish Rangers (The North Irish Militia) !!

Regards, Tommy.

London Irish Rifles were D Company of the 4th Royal Irish Rangers - and rejoiced in the title that just trips off the tongue:

D (London Irish Rifles) Company 4th (Volunteer) battalion Royal Irish Rangers (North Irish Militia).

1. The exhibition is in Lisburn

2. Focused on on Royal Irish

3. It is narrow minded. To date I have avoided the use of the word "bigoted" which as you know has a particular meaning in Northern Ireland (read Ulster) :thumbsup:

It does say 'a tradition..' and not 'the tradition..'

I am sure no harm is meant in it. The exhbition has a local focus - there's nothing unusual in that and its scope is understood by the likely audience.

Could have had the 8th Hussars in it though!!!

It would be my experience of working with local authorities in NI that:-

Work for posters such as this is usually tendered out by museum/exhibition hall staff .. most of whom are more interested in 18th century knitting pattrns amongst Hugenot settlers than they are in WW1/WW2 military history in general.

THUS - I can imagine said curator asking for 'some images' which can be sent to the designers (cos you've got to spend that budget somewhere to keep someone in a job) so they can 'do something up'.

I know this process and when I am asked to do this, I insist on having final scrutiny on posters and blurbs etc.

Othrwise you end up with 'Ulster Fusiliers' .. or ENNISKILLEN Fus/DRAGONS!! or ROYAL Irish Guards .. you know what I'm saying.

I would say the person providing the kit for the exhibition (and since I know him personally, I can quite categorically state that the issues referred to by Corisande do NOT exist) simply muttered 'bleedin idiots' and cracked on.

By the way, I don't know if he'll be putting out all his stuff but I do know that great interest was shown in his brilliant collection of original Irish Citizen Army/Irish Volunteers/IRA material when he visited my home town.

I lay the blame for this at the door of the promoter rather than performer so to speak.

Des

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Chaps

Des thank you for the words of support very much appreciated

also I would like to thank Tommy for visiting our exhibition on Saturday

and I hope he will verify and clear up this miss understanding

and I can understand why Des replied as he did to this as he was aware that I was exhibiting in Lisburn

To clarify that the War Years Remembered Museum currently showing in Lisburn at a separate venue

"We were here first" lol :thumbsup:

Has nothing what so ever to do with the Harp and Crown Exhibition being run at the Linen Museum across the road opening on Monday

War Years Remembered in no way has ever been or will ever be classed as a one sided view of the History of the Irish Soldier

On display presently are uniforms relating to both World War 1 & 2 and the Home Front

they incude those of the Dubs, original pre 1922 Royal Irish, Munsters, Irish Rifles, Inniskillings, and Faughs to name but a few

Also on display are items relating to the home rule period both that of the UVF and Irish Volunteers as there is always two sides to a coin

and relate to the pre war service and the formation of the Service Battalions of ALL Irish Regiments

and Patrick there is a complete 8th Hussars to keep you happy

also on display are both German and Polish items

Paperwork medals personal items and pieces to the Leinsters / Connaughts among them

Some thing for every body

Guys and girls please feel free to come along to the exhibition and decide for your self

we due to poular demand have been extended for 1 more week

not just from the response from the adults,but also to facilitate all types of schools

with thanks to both Lisburn City Council and Lisburn City Centre Management and

the support from people from all our communties including the Polish

Open 9am to 5pm daily Monday through to Saturday and 7pm to 9pm Tuesday and Thursday

with talks running from 730pm to 830pm on those nights WW1 Tuesday WW2 Thursday

35-37 Market Square Lisburn

You could not miss the signs :w00t:

Hope to see you there please come along and shake our hands

and get the chance not just to see first hand some rare pieces of both Ulster and Irish history

but hold

Oh and also FREE ENTRY lol

Yours Davey

First chance I've had to post since speaking to Dave today.

Mea culpa .. having known that he was exhibiting in Lisburn, I had thought his was the exhibition referred to.

Knowing Dave and having worked with him, people will understand that I was keen to get the message out that his touring exhibition provides a comprehensive, full sided overview of WW1 and WW2 and, indeed, of general military history as applied to Ireland.

The 'Irish Soldier' exhibition, mounted as it is by equally committed and unprejudiced military historians, is another example of the growing and keen interest in the role of Irish soldiers.

Hello again Des

Thanks again I will pass it on to the rest of the Guys

and true true

I am looking forward to seeing the Harp and Crown Exhibition too

Any thing that high lights the commitment of ALL those who served from both North and South of the border in Battle must be worth a view

Yours Davey

War Years Remembered.

Anyone reading this thread who has an interest in the uniforms and badges of the First and Second World War relating to the Irish Regiments who took part, could do themselves a favour by attending the War Years Remembered Museum display, in Lisburn. The display has been extended for another week until Saturday 2nd October and is the collection of one man, which is amazing considering the number of uniforms and artifacts on display. Earlier in the thread, Davey War Years has given a description of the content of the exibition that it is impossible to elaborate on. The displays are presented behind sandbags and barbed wire just as you would have seen them, in their own period, giving them a reality that putting them in a glass case takes away. It is the best presentation that I have seen in a long time, go see it for yourself and judge. By all means visit the Harp and Crown exhibition across the street, it is the history of three of of the Irish Regiments and their eventual algamation. It can only add to your experience, but for me it was the more traditional museum experience, big on display boards and short on exhibits. I was lucky enough to meet Davey for the first time today and he was very generous with his time and extremely knowledgeable about his collection and the periods involved.

Dez

• 2 weeks later...

i attended this display in lisburn today, and was very impressed with all the items on show.

the medals, uniforms and pictures are all on loan from the various regimental museums or from the royal irish regiment.

i would encourage every one with an interest in irish military history to go and see it, if at all possible.

Davey, do ever exhibit in the south?I would love to see your collection sometime.

Regards,

Murrough.

Sorry for the late reply been off line with taking down event and now rebuilding ww2 jeep which engine seized on route to event

and the answer is yes Murrough I have been down with it and hoping to be putting an event together to mark the 70th anniversary of the Dublin Blitz

31st May 1941 me an Seorise looking for a venue at present.

yours Davey

Dez

thank you for the kind words

and likewise a pleasure to meet you too please keep in touch

yours Davey

War Years Remembered.

Anyone reading this thread who has an interest in the uniforms and badges of the First and Second World War relating to the Irish Regiments who took part, could do themselves a favour by attending the War Years Remembered Museum display, in Lisburn. The display has been extended for another week until Saturday 2nd October and is the collection of one man, which is amazing considering the number of uniforms and artifacts on display. Earlier in the thread, Davey War Years has given a description of the content of the exibition that it is impossible to elaborate on. The displays are presented behind sandbags and barbed wire just as you would have seen them, in their own period, giving them a reality that putting them in a glass case takes away. It is the best presentation that I have seen in a long time, go see it for yourself and judge. By all means visit the Harp and Crown exhibition across the street, it is the history of three of of the Irish Regiments and their eventual algamation. It can only add to your experience, but for me it was the more traditional museum experience, big on display boards and short on exhibits. I was lucky enough to meet Davey for the first time today and he was very generous with his time and extremely knowledgeable about his collection and the periods involved.

Dez

• 4 months later...

Davey, Unfortunately i missed your exhibition in Lisburn (and i live there!!) :doh:...however, i was wondering if this will be an annual event?

I am so sorry that i missed this experience.

Neil.

I had hoped that this kind of post would not have appeared on this forum.

Too much to expect i suppose,.....however, it is a shame to see it rear it's ugly head.

Neil.

1. The exhibition is in Lisburn

2. Focused on on Royal Irish

3. It is narrow minded. To date I have avoided the use of the word "bigoted" which as you know has a particular meaning in Northern Ireland (read Ulster) :thumbsup: