Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DCM Citations British Regts.

David_Bluestein

I have DCM Citation books for most British line Regts. Will be happy to do look-ups.

Please e-mail me off forum, at davidbluestein@rogers.com

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kimbrocklehurst

David

I would be most grateful if you could provide me with the DCM citation

details of:

Serjeant 68653 CHARLES WILLIAM COOKE,

15th.Battery, Royal Field Artillery

He died on 1 March 1919, and is buried in Prestatyn, Flintshire.

Many thanks

Kim

Hello Kim,

Sadly my collection does not include the RA books. I have only line regiments.

Here is what is recorded in "Recipients Of The DCM" By Walker,

68653 Gnr. Cooke, C. 36th Bde. RFA LG: 30.6.15

My apologies, and best wishes in finding Gnr. Cookes citation.

David

I think other threads have also tackled finding citations in the London Gazette, but I will try and explain how to find this one.

Go to the London Gazette Archive at http://www.gazette-online.co.uk/

You have the date for the copy of the London Gazette (LG: 30.6.15) which David kindly provides:

Here is what is recorded in "Recipients Of The DCM" By Walker,

68653 Gnr. Cooke, C. 36th Bde. RFA LG: 30.6.15

The search provisions are not always accurate when looking for a name but a seach on Gunner between 29.6.15 and 5.7.15 (say) will find the relevant issue. Don't forget to look at the 1st page and (where this is not the first page) the start of the section

In fact this is a supplement to the London Gazette of 29 June 1915 which actually bears the date 30 June 1915 (this slight date discrepancy occurs as the supplement was not necessarily dated as per the Gazette to which it was a supplement). Herein is a long list of DCM citations. Gnr Cooke's citation is on page 13 (13 of 54) and the London Gazette Issue number for the (second) supplement is 29212. Then PRINT!

68653 Gunner Cooke, C 36th Brigade Royal Field Artillery

For conspicuous gallantry as a telephonist in September, 1914 at Soupir, when under heavy shell fire and during all the operations on the Aisne. At St. Julien he was continually at work repairing and laying out lines under fire, and afterwards at Givenchy and Festubert, he gave an excellent example of good work and devotion to duty.

The supplement also refers to the Gazette of 23rd June as listing the names of the recipients (without citation) and this is the supplement to the gazette of 22nd June Issue 29202 wherein the award of the DCM to 68653 Gunner C. Cooke, 36th Brigade Royal Field Artillery is recorded on page 21. Again, once you have found it, PRINT!

I would caution anyone not to rely on the search facility for the gazette, it does not always find the name or word, even if it is there (try searching on medal for a short date range and see how few it finds). This may possibly be because optical character recognition has been used on scans of the original and is not always accurate. In this instance we have the nominal date of the Gazette in which the citation appears which is a huge help.

Guest kimbrocklehurst

David

Many thanks for checking "Recipients of the DCM", and providing the

all-important LG date.

Martin

I appreciate your efforts in tracking down Serjeant Cooke's LG citation.

I have printed off the relevant pages, so I have what in common parlance is

known as a "result"!

I agree about the inadequacy of the LG search facility. I'm trying to

track down a couple of MC awardees and an MSM awardee, but without

success so far. I have full names, rank, regiment and date of death, but no

citation details. I don't have time to trawl through the dozens of possible LG

issues that are thrown up, so I may have to look in the index to the set of

hard copies held by my nearest major library (Manchester).

From speaking to someone at the LG, it appears the problem is a

search engine that is not robust enough for the job. I think they are looking

to upgrade this in the next year or two. To be fair to the LG, setting up the

internet facility has been an expensive exercise, for which they receive no financial return. The ultimate intention is to have every issue of the LG

on-line. As it commenced in 1665, this is clearly a mammoth and costly task!

Mind you, what a phenomenal source of information!

Once again, thanks for your endeavours.

Kim

:rolleyes:

Kim,

Whilst I am sure we all have our frustrations with the LG search, a little lateral thinking (eg. combination of search by unit; rank etc etc) can help narrow it down. I also remind myself that when we had nothing at all we didn't have anything to complain about.

I think it's wonderful that it is available at all, so I hope no one thinks I was in any sense trashing it. It's just the occasional frustration of being handed this excellent facility, working up your expectations to "too high" a level and then finding that it is not so simple. I might add that when I have used it on perhaps a dozen occasions I have always managed to get there in the end.

We should also be grateful that it has generally been kept quiet. If it had the same sort of publicity the 2001 census had at the outset (or the CWGC) for that matter we would hardly even be able to access it!

As for your other men, I wonder if you might post their details? With a bit of luck someone on the forum may be able to turn up a unit history, or roll, or other record that may narrow the field. I never cease to be amazed at the speed with which some folk answer the seemingly impossible question.

On a final note I think I tended to regard finding the citation simply as a challenge, and I probably took as much delight in finding it as you have in seeing it. For it to refer to Soupir in 1914 was even more interesting. The Aisne is relatively little visited and researched but in itself absolutely fascinating.

David,

Thanks for the offer. I'll take full and ruthless advantage of your kindness! Would you mind looking up the following, which I cannot trace on the London Gazette:

Herbert Wilkinson, Corporal, 2057, 1/4th York & Lancaster, event relating to 6th September 1916.

Lee, T.W - I'm afraid I have no details at all here, except a DCM award was referred to in a local newspaper in September 1918. I don't expect you to spend time trying to root this one out!!

Arthur Ewin, DCM awarded in 1901 in South Africa whilst serving as Colour Sergeant, G Coy, 1st Derbyshire (I'm interested because he died at Suvla Bay).

Joseph Burton, Sergeant, DCM & Bar. Bar awarded whilst in 6th Lincolnshire's for events in either late 1916 or early 1917. Original DCM awarded whilst in a different regiment - possibly 1st EastYorkshire 1915.

Any responses very much appreciated,

Andrew :rolleyes:

Andrew,

Here’s what I have come up with:

Lee, T.W: Sorry not to have come up with anything here. I need a Regt. to go on.

Arthur Ewin, DCM 1901: Don’t have anything on this soldier as my books are only for 1914-20.

9694 L/Cpl. J.D Burton 1st Bn.

The East Yorkshire Regt.

For coolness and resource near Vieux Berquin on 14th October 1914. When carrying orders he succeeded in avoiding a German cavalry patrol. On the 19th October, he was brought to the notice for gallantry in carrying messages on several occasions under fire (LG: 1.4.15)

3/5381 Cpl. (A/Sjt) J. Burton

Lincolnshire Regt.

For conspicuous gallantry in action. He displayed great courage and initiative when in charge of a post, and was instrumental in capturing six prisoners. He has previously done fine work (LG: 3.3.17)

(You will need to do further research to determine above are the same man?)

2057 Cpl. H. Wilkinson

York & Lancaster Regt.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty when in charge of two Lewis Gun teams. During a heavy bombardment the trench was knocked in and a gun team buried. Corporal Wilkinson moved between his guns, in full view of the enemy and under heavy fire, selecting new positions, and only withdrew when ordered to do so. (LG: 25.11.16)

Hope that helps, please be in touch if I can help further

Best wishes

David

David,

That's tremendous. Thankyou very much indeed.

All the best,

Andrew

Guest kimbrocklehurst

Martin

I agree entirely with your comments. It is easy to

be seduced into criticising a resource because it is

not perfect and, at the same time, forgetting the current

situation is a vast improvement on that which existed

before the resource was available.

I had not heard of Soupir before as I'm not as

knowledgable about the Battle of the Aisne as I would

like. However, my education has today been improved by