Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anson Battalion royal naval division

orm1

Bombing School would certainly have meant learning to deal with and deliver, what we today refer to as hand-grenades. [by the way, the RND's own poet laureate, Lt. A. P. Herbert RNVR, published his second volume of verse in February 1918 titled 'The Bomber Gypsy' – a down-loadable copy of which can be found on the web. The book takes its name from that of one of his poems]

"Lent for farm work 17-22.7.16." is more of a puzzle, as I have not come across that before. All I can say at the moment is that the use of the word 'Lent' suggests something of an unofficial/temporary/local nature, which nevertheless had to be somehow covered in the records and hence the use of the word 'lent'.

Regards

Michael

Regarding the 8th October 1918, the following is from an article by Capt. Christopher Page RN which appeared in Len Sellers' magazine 'R.N.D.' issue No.4, March 1998, page 253.

"The Division was about to entrain for leave behind the lines, and the Divisional General Blacklock, was already on his way to England on leave, when General Fergusson decided to use it for one more push to capture Niegnies, not taken earlier by the 52nd Division. The RND was promised leave on the day the town was taken, and Blacklock hurried back to rejoin. The start line ran from north east of Rumilly, and the Naval Brigades were given this critical task. Assisted by the artillery of the 52nd and 34th Divisions, plus eight tanks, they went forward at 0430 on 8th October, quickly taking first objectives. However, at 0930 the Germans counterattacked by seven captured British tanks. The attack was defeated by the Hood and Anson Battalions, whose commanding officers Pollock, and the inevitable Buckle, personally destroyed two tanks with captured German weapons. By 1000, the village was in RND hands: after beating off many counterattacks they were relieved in the line well to the east of Niergnies by the 2nd Division. As usual Commander Buckle won a DSO, his fourth, and Pollock, recovered from his gassing at Flesquieres in April to take command of the Hood, gained his second. They had lost a further 12 officers and 60 men, with a further 27 officers and 513 men wounded, but had captured a vital enemy position, taking 34 officers And 115 men prisoner, and capturing 81 machine guns and 9 field guns. The way was now open for the capture of Cambrai which fell on 10th October."

regards

Michael

Once again michael thank you very much I hope it hasn't been too much trouble, it has certainly enhanced both my family history and my knowledge of the first world war especially the R.N.D.

Regards Shane

"Lent for farm work 17-22.7.16." is more of a puzzle, as I have not come across that before. All I can say at the moment is that the use of the word 'Lent' suggests something of an unofficial/temporary/local nature, which nevertheless had to be somehow covered in the records and hence the use of the word 'lent'.

Regards

Michael

I have heard this thing mentioned in the diaries before. The process is described much better in personal diaries which I have read. Sometimes while the troops were held in reserve, they would be allocated to assist local French farmers with jobs like digging fields for sowing etc. I guess the heads thought it was a bright idea, keeping the lads in shape with a spot of digging whilst also helping the locals with securing food supplies into the near future.

Cheers, S>S

keeping the lads in shape with a spot of digging whilst also helping the locals with securing food supplies into the near future.

That sounds logical S>S

Thanks

... ... ... ... ... ...

I hope it hasn't been too much trouble,

No trouble at all Shane

Very glad to have been of some small help to the Malia family

All the best

Michael

• 4 years later...
Guest Steve Snelling

I'm very late to this topic, but would like to make contact with James Malia's family and to Michaeldr with regard to my research on the River Clyde for a book I am writing. Tel 01603 435624. Email sjsnelling@sky.com I'd like to hear from anyone with diaries, letters, etc relating to the V Beach landing.

I'm very late to this topic, but would like to make contact with James Malia's family and to Michaeldr with regard to my research on the River Clyde for a book I am writing. Tel 01603 435624. Email sjsnelling@sky.com I'd like to hear from anyone with diaries, letters, etc relating to the V Beach landing.

e-mail already on its way

regards

Michael

• 3 years later...

My Great Great uncle Fred Pass was in the Anson Battalion he died of his injuries and is buried in Puchevillers war cemetery in france, ive not visited it but would love to learn more of what he did and what injuries he died from, 

58 minutes ago, hillc4 said:

would love to learn more of what he did and what injuries he died from, 

A bullet wound in the back during the RND's taking of Beaucourt sur L'Ancre on 13 Nov 1916. He died in 3rd CCS nine days later so obviously too ill to be moved back from there to a hospital.

Contact the Fleet Air Arm Museum [ Library@NMRN.org.uk ]. They have his enlistment papers for the York and Lancs. Regt and subsequent enrolment into the RNVR. They also have his original RND record card.

Hi hillc4,

13 minutes ago, hillc4 said:

do any of you know where i could find out more about him and about his war involment

Findmypast have his service record (4 sheets) - link. It seems that he served in Gallipoli and France, and died from a bullet wound to his back that he received on 13th November 1916. The Battalion war diary for their time in Gallipoli is here on Ancestry, and for their time in France it's here. The latter is also available from the National Archives - link. if you would like an image of his gravestone it looks like British War Graves would be able to send you one on a free of charge basis.

Regards

Chris

On 16/09/2010 at 22:01, Tyneside Chinaman said:

Hi

The attached may be of interest to you, a platoon of C Company Anson Battalion, three different types of cap tallie are worn, ROYAL NAVAL DIVISION, RND and ANSON.

Regards

John

post-27843-056821200 1284670892.jpg

On 16/09/2010 at 22:01, Tyneside Chinaman said:

Hi

The attached may be of interest to you, a platoon of C Company Anson Battalion, three different types of cap tallie are worn, ROYAL NAVAL DIVISION, RND and ANSON.

Regards

John

post-27843-056821200 1284670892.jpg

Hi Just wondering if my Great Great uncle would have been honored for his involvement in the war and would his family been given any medal for him, love the photo it would be great to know if he was one of them on it 

Edited by hillc4

This is his entry on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) website https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/511917/pass,-fred/

and this is his record of service (probably the same as the FMP one) http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7293876

I have done my best to read the preview but I can't see whether medals were sent or claimed - he must have been entitled to at least one, I would have thought.

He was entitled to the 1914-15 Star, the Victory Medal and the British War Medal. His mother claimed these three medals and they were issued by the Admiralty to her after the war.

• 2 weeks later...

oh thankyou so much for this information, unfortunately i think these medals will have been lost, it such a shame that they will not have been kept in the family, i only wish i could have passed them on to the generations to come 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello. I'm wondering about the photo of the "C" Company commander in the post above. In 1915 "C" Company Anson Battalion was being led by Lieutenant Commander John Charles Spencer Warwick. There is a photo and caption which reads 

Lieut. J. Spencer-Warwick, coming back with ‘C’ Company of the Anson Battalion after 14 days continuous fighting. He was killed shortly afterwards. – Daily Sketch 21 Sept. 1915

Could it be the same man? JCSW was killed on June 4th attacking a trench in 3rd Battle of Krithia.

JC Spencer Warwick - Daily sketch.jpg

J C Spencer Warwick - London Illustrated News.png