Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
ianw

"War Graves Pass" - any info please?

ianw

I have a letter from the Military Permit Section of the Pasport Office dated 12 Dec 1922 which asks for the return of a pass issued in September 1922.

It was issued to a Mrs Ambler to allow her to visit the grave of her son. Her pass is noted as being No 8767. Her son was Joseph Charles Long who is buried at Ecoivres.

Obviously these passes were issued and controlled. I wonder if they were issued to people who did not have a passport to allow the travel or whether , at this quite early date, both a pass and a passport was needed. Certainly it would appear that a large number were issued. A passport cost 7/6 at this time but were not issued in large numbers.

The letter is also stamped with the logo of "The National Scheme for Disabled Men". I wonder why.

Any information would be appreciated.

post-70-082434700 1284282791.jpg

RobertBr

The link displays a blank page.

Justinth

Thanks Robert for letting me know. Just updated the link which now works, I think it was a link to the page editor rather than the published page.

Best

Justin

Wexflyer
12 minutes ago, RobertBr said:

The link displays a blank page.

(Redundant)

Edited by Wexflyer

GWF1967
5 hours ago, Justinth said:

Hi IanW

Eight years later I was writing about this topic and found your very helpful post. My blog post on War Graves Passes can be found here: https://warrecordsrevealed.com/2018/04/19/war-graves-passes-laissez-passer-1921-1961-and-subsidies-for-war-cemetery-visits-1920-1922/

Best wishes

Justin

Thanks, very interesting. 

ianw

Thanks. Just read your interesting blog on the subject.  I had not realised the purpose of the pass was to substitute for a passport.

Since my 2010 post I have realised that Mrs Ambler was visiting the graves of both her brother and husband - a mournful trip.  She went again in 1928 on the B.L Great Pilgrimage.