Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
ianmccallum

2nd Bn. Gordon Highlanders

ianmccallum

Hi Guys

Anyone know what the 2nd Gordon Highlanders were up to over the period 25th July - 1st Aug 1917. Looking for info on my man killed on 31 July. Any assistance appreciated.

Ian

Amor

Ian,

As my Great Uncle was killed serving in this battalion, I have recently downloaded the 2nd Battalion's War Diary. On the 31st July 1917 they were in the line in the Bullecourt Sector. Diary states:

"Showery - Quiet Day. 3 stretcher bearers killed and 1 wounded by trench mortar bomb in MARE STREET. Work continued throughout sector. Battalion strength on last day of month:

Killed 7 OR

Wounded 2 Officers (JM Stewart and HJ Clapperton), 20 OR

Died of Wounds 2

Admissions to hospital during month 1 officer and 33 OR

List of officers serving on last day of month attached"

If you tell me the name I can look further for you. You may be interested to download for yourself:

http://www.nationala...first_date+desc

Rgds,

Alex

ianmccallum

Hi Alex

Sorry its taken some time to get back to your kind reply. The man I am after is Pte. Patrick Kelly KIA 31 July 1917. I've seen his service records but they don't throw any light on his death. Presumably he must have been one of the stretcher bearers.

Ian

Amor

Ian,

I have read the diary entries for July and beginning of August - but there is no mention of the man you are searching for I am afraid. I read on the 14th July at 23:30, that 2 platoons (1 from A company and 1 from B company) performed a trench raid which resulted in 2 officers and 16 ORs wounded. They also suffered casualties resulting from shelling, being attached to working parties, and one recorded as accidental from MG fire at a German aeroplane during July. It may be possible that your man died later of wounds received?

Rgds,

Alex

ianmccallum

Alex

Thanks for your latest reply and thanks again for all your effort. I do appreciate it.

Ian

Monstar

Hi Alex,

I've just read this thread and was wondering if you would be so kind as to help me out with a couple of dates from the 2nd battalion Gordon Highlanders war diary.

Many thanks in advance

Regards

Paul.

Tom Lang

Ian,

<snip>, I have recently downloaded the 2nd Battalion's War Diary. <snip>

Rgds,

Alex

Hello Alex,

I'm trying to download a copy of the 2nd Gordon's War Diary but having some problems on the TNA website.

On their website, my search shows 2 records for the 2nd Gordon's:

1) WO 95/1656/2 Oct 1914 - Nov 1917

2) WO 95/4224 Dec 1917 - Feb 1919.

When I try to use either link to go to the download page, I get sent off to the TNA copying service page where I'm asked to order a printed copy.

I just can't get to the download page where you can buy directly.

Am I doing something wrong (which is entirely possible), or is there something I'm not doing?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/searchresults.asp?SearchInit=0&txtsearchterm=2%20AND%20Gordon%20Highlanders&txtrestriction=WO%2095&hdnsorttype=Reference&j=1

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

spof

Tom

As Graham's link shows, you need to be at the next level up i.e. WO95/1656 rather than the battalion level WO 95/1656/2. Worringly, the later part is not available online and is not in the list of pieces currently being digitised and may not be done for some time yet if at all.

Glen

Tom Lang

Morning

I had no problem with the earlier section

http://discovery.nat...n?iaid=C4554807

The other section, I do not think, is available,

Regards,

Graeme

Tom

As Graham's link shows, you need to be at the next level up i.e. WO95/1656 rather than the battalion level WO 95/1656/2. Worringly, the later part is not available online and is not in the list of pieces currently being digitised and may not be done for some time yet if at all.

Glen

Thanks Graeme and Glen,

I did see the WO 95/1656, and interpreted that as the 20th Brigade Diary.

My error was to assume that the individual Battalion Diaries were what I wanted.

Since the WO 95/1656 level only covers the period Oct 1914 - Nov 1917, I concluded that the 2nd Gordons were later attached to another Brigade - hence the split at Brigade level.

It is unfortunate that the later part of the Battalion Diary is not yet available, and as you point out, it's not on the TNA digitisation schedule.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

spof

Tom

The & Division moved to Italy which would have meant a new reporting process hence the different filing in the NA.From LLT:

2nd Battalion

August 1914 : in Cairo. Returned to England, landing Southampton on 1 October 1914.

Moved to Lyndhurst and came under command of 20th Brigade in 7th Division.

7 October 1914 : landed at Zeebrugge.

November 1917 : moved with Division to Italy.

The digitisation project seems to only cover the Western Front.

Tom Lang

Thanks Glen, this explains the split.

I've just sent a PM to A Morris.

Thanks for your help!

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

scot278

My Grandfather Archie Cochrane was a L/Cpl  Stretcher Bearer in B company 2nd Gordons. His brother was killed on that day and I was comparing the war diaries. 3 Stretcher bearers are listed in the diary as being killed on that day by a trench mortar at Bullecourt. The entry in the CWGC data base that day is listed below. I think it would be fairly safe to assume that the 3 stretcher bearers, who include your relative, are the 3 buried at Ecoust, which is the nearest one to Bullecourt. I hope this helps. I would like to think that my grandfather would have known them, and mourned them, sadly unaware at that time that  a few miles away  near Zillebeke his brother had been killed at his gun with D Bty 113th Bde. I am visiting Belgium and France next week to walk in both their boots - I will at some point be at Bullecourrt, I intend laying  poppy crosses at these three graves. We will be taking in the 2nd Gordons actions/ postings  at Loos, The Somme, Arras, Bullecourt and Paschendale. The main focus will be the Somme ( I have his personal diaries to guide us in some part) and the action at Paschendale where he was awarded the MM.

Name Rank Service Number Date of Death Age Regiment / Service Service Country Grave /
Memorial Reference
Cemetery / Memorial Name Docs.
McGOWAN, J Private S/13820 31/07/1917 34 Gordon Highlanders United Kingdom I. B. 4. ECOUST MILITARY CEMETERY, ECOUST-ST. MEIN document-icon.gif
GOLIGHTLY, JOHN Private S/8237 31/07/1917 22 Gordon Highlanders United Kingdom I. B. 10. ECOUST MILITARY CEMETERY, ECOUST-ST. MEIN document-icon.gif
ANDERSON, HUGH ROBB Private 201080 31/07/1917 31 Gordon Highlanders United Kingdom E. 10. ERVILLERS MILITARY CEMETERY document-icon.gif

KELLY, P

Private S/7296 31/07/1917   Gordon Highlanders United Kingdom I. B. 7.

ECOUST MILITARY CEMETERY, ECOUST-ST. MEIN

scot278

PS The war diary mentioned above is now available.