Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Dick Tiltwood" and D C Thomas

Cynthia

With all hope that I will be able to make another trip over in November, I was looking at some things I would like to visit. One of the graves I wanted to visit was David Cuthbert Thomas, the "Dick Tiltwood" of Sassoon's books. As I was re-reading some of the excerpts about Thomas, I wondered if his family were aware of the admiration that Sassoon and Graves had for their son.

Does anyone know much more about David Thomas other than that he was a vicar's son? Has there ever been a photograph of him published anywhere? He must have been a very special young man to have impressed Graves and Sassoon.

Thanks for any information.

Cynthia

Cynthia

There is a photograph of David Cuthbert Thomas in Jean Moorcroft's Biography 'Siegfried Sassoon The Making of A War Poet" Illustration 38. Chapter 9 contains description of D. C. Thomas's death.

Interestingly this chapter also mentions Julian Dadd who is 'Durley' in Memoirs of a Fox-Hunting Man. Julian Dadd was the great nephew of Richard Dadd the painter who painted fairy pictures while in a lunatic asylum after killing his own father.

Regards

Myrtle

Thank you, Lt. Myrtle! Since I work at a University, I eagerly checked out library holdings, hoping that the book would be here. No such luck, I'm afraid (we have a very poor selection of Great War materials compared to other local universities). I was able to order it from another institution, so I will look forward to checking out both "Tiltwood" and "Durley."

Cynthia

The second volume of this fine biography was to be out last fall I think but I have seen nothing more. Anyone know? Thanks.

David Cuthbert Thomas was almost certainly 'Thompson' in Bernard Adams' 'Nothing of Importance: A Record of Eight Months at the Front With a Welsh Battalion'.

David Pritchard appears as 'Davidson'.

Marco, your web site makes no mention of this fine book and it's equally-admirable author who was wounded on 30 June 1916, killed in February '17 and buried at COUIN NEW BRITISH CEMETERY. The book, originally published in 1917, was reprinted by Tom Donovan in 1988.

Sassoon also features as 'Scott' in the book. 'Nothing of Importance' should not be missed by anyone interested in this very literary regiment!

Marco & Cynthia

The photograph of D.C.Thomas on Marco's web site is the same as the one that appears in Jean Moorcroft Wilson's book.

Regards

Myrtle

Thanks to everyone who pointed me in the right direction! Before I visit a grave, I like to know something about the person and see a picture, too. Last year I visited Eddie Dwyer's grave at Flatiron Copse. It is probably the only instance of being able to see a photo of him and hear him on "From the Trenches!"

Thanks again, and apologies to Marco for not seeing it before on his site. And he houses my tribute to Robert Stark, too!

Cynthia