Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visiting battlefields for first time

Guest joanne

Cheers Ian, Paul

That's an excellent thing to be able to help someone with. It must be very moving. In my case I don't know of anyone in family either who has ever visited the Tyne Cot Memorial. In fact we didn't know where he was until I asked for help on this forum a few months back. I also doubt very much anyone would have visited the place (or close to) where he died.

So as you both have witnessed with others I know it will be pretty poignant. I hope he will be happy to see me!

All the best to you.

Joanne

Guest Simon Bull

Joanne,

I am coming somewhat late to this thread. However I thought you might be interested in my experience on the only organised tour on which I have been. I went on an organised tour to the Arras Battlefields run by Flanders Tours.

There are two points of interest in relation to the issues which you raise, namely:

(1) At that time, (and I believe that the practice is still followed) the Tour Party i itself traveled in a coach but was accompanied by a car which took individual members of the party to specific sites which were of interest to them. I did not in fact make use of this facility but I am aware that other members of the party visited sites, in the car, which were of relevance to members of their family who had been killed or served in the war.

(2) The tour was extremely well organised by Tony and Teddy Noyes who are extremely knowledgeable about the War and were assisted by others who had expertise. The particular tour in question was led by Jonathan Nicholls who is the real expert on the Battle of Arras.

I was sufficiently impressed with the experience that, when I have the time and money, I shall use Flanders Tours myself to make an initial visit to Verdun which is an area of the battlefields which I have not yet visited. I agree with advice given by others that an initial visit on an organised tour followed by travels on one's own is the best way to see the battlefields.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards,

Simon Bull.

As for emotion, I still recall most of a coach party with smiles on their faces and tears in their eyes watching a man lay a wreath on a grave at Ovillers for an uncle he never knew. A first family visit after 80 years or so - worthy of a tear.

It's always amazed me how emotions ,even for someone we never knew, can remain so strong after all the years.

Even a soulless b*****d such as myself was found to be glassy-eyed at the Arras memorial a few years ago after reading a note (obviously written in an old woman's handwriting) reminding "Daddy" that it was 80 long years since he last saw her (as a 3 year old) and it "won't be long now" untill they see each other again.

It's just got to me again writing this - I must be going soft in my old age!!!

Dave.

Simon, Dave

Simon,

Many thanks for this info on tours and your experience. It's really very useful to me. I think the advice is really sound about going on a general tour then, following it with my own personal remembrace. I think after a tour to 'orientate' myself - I would like to stay near to the place where Hugh was killed and just take my time over this.

All the advice from everyone has been invaluable, and have copied it to my WW1 file so that I can go over it slowly as I plan my trip. Cheers again.

Well Dave,

I've just gone glassy-eyed myself as I read your posting. I've recently thought is it just me, but it is good to know that I am not such a strange person after all. It was moving as well because I have just been through to Glasgow to do some more research on my great uncle at the HLI museum. While I was there I also went to 'The Tenement House' in Glasgow which is a tenement flat which has not changed since 1911. It is fully preserved as it was then because of two remarkable women...and it was like looking into the past. It would be a flat like this (2 rooms and a kitchen) in which my great uncle Hugh and his nine brothers and sisters and parents would have lived. I felt a little choked going round seeing all the orginal items and how they might have lived.

I now have a photo of great uncle and one of my grandfather in original 'arts and crafts', and 'art noveau' photo frames (bought in Glasgow) taking pride of place on my mantle piece. Anyway, the standing joke in the family now...is .....'don't mention the war!'

Thanks.

Joanne