Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Forum Conference and Dinner - fifth speaker announced!

AlanCurragh

I know this isn't quite what you mean but there was a definite social aspect to the Conference this year, Joan. I knew a few people but it was nice to put a face to more names I interact with on here. I wasn't previously interested in all the topics but I found the talks were well presented and enjoyed all of them. I've heard Peter Hart and Alan Wakefield so I know I'll enjoy their efforts.Please come. You will enjoy yourself, I promise.

Keith

Great line-up Alan,

Please count me in, deposit sent by paypal (I don't know yet whether my wife will want to attend the dinner as well but I'll let you know nearer the time - for now, just me)

Thank you I must try a be a bit braver, I went to the Fromelles talk in Eastbourne recently and I am sure there where forum members there but it was difficult to know how to go about introducing yourself

Joan

Joan,

I think you might be surprised by the number of the male Forum members who are very interested in aspects of the Great War away from matters strictly military. Indeed anyone who researches the serving soldier will inevitably have to consider the home front, his family etc.

So I would urge you to think about coming to the conference, bring your thoughts and understanding of this conflict along. You will be welcomed.

Regards Ian

Joan, this year we were all given a sticky label to wear that we wrote our user-name and real name on and which made it very easy to identify people without having to ask everyone "So who are you on the Board?" I hope they repeat that next year. The whole thing was very easy-going and very informal between the talks. Lunch, which was excellent, gave us all an opportunity to chat around the tables while eating and I'm sure that the evening dinner, which I didn't attend, was just as much fun.

Keith

As a relative new member I feel a little bit intimidated by the expertise of others but can I ask if the conference is appropriate for members who are more interested in the social aspects of the Great War rather than military

Joan

Joan, please be assured that when I went last year, although I have an interest in the Great War and was steadily doing my research, I had no deep knowledge of the war itself - mine was more social history than tank manoeuvres and guns if you get my drift. I really wanted to go to the conference for some strange reason, and my other half (James) also has an interest so he agreed to go with me (I'm the one with all the time to be on here, he just brings the money in so I can enjoy myself :o:lol: ). That being said, I have read so much since then simply from getting a clearer picture and better understanding of little bits and pieces from the conference. I am becoming much more involved in the military side of things now (still not tanks and guns, but more battles and who was where and when - in a very small way).

I would say come. Come and meet everyone, enjoy the speakers, we all got something from it last year I'm sure. It really was a wonderful day and I can't wait for the next one in March - especially now some of the speakers have been announced (there was a loud yay in this house Peter :D ). We're not all experts I can assure you and there are quite a few like me I think?

Thank you very much for your positive comments everyone......now I will have to see when term ends

Joan

I would love to come but weekends are very difficult for me and I am off to the Somme the a week or so after this date, which makes getting this day difficult to say the least! Annoyingly so as the three speakers so far are very tempting!

Regards

Arm

PS I would have left the spelling of centre the same, one gets so few opportunities to annoy Broomers, that you have to make the most of them!!

Seany - yes, there will be book selling stands as last year, I assume. The organisers will give you leave of absence from the line-dancing to take a look at them.

Joan,

Do come. Everyone is very friendly apart from one chap who on no account must be offered a fig roll. Some of us will no doubt be in a Birmingham pub the night before. Its appropriately called "The Old Contemptible". Easy to spot the forum types apart from the badges; we all tend to be slightly more mature than the main crop of Friday evening revellers. Also we are better looking, just be careful with my zimmer frame as the bar can be crowded.

Keith

Great to see Peter's return - particularly as his new book on Gallipoli is coming out a few weeks before the Conference. Amazon/Forum link here but I suspect there might well be the opportunity to get a signed version on the day! :)

Jack & Alan's talks look fascinating as well. Good to see some less well covered aspects on the agenda.

Brian

Thanks Malcolm - and I'm certainly intending that there will be book and display stands as last year

Alan

How often does Alan cash cheques? Mine dated a month ago has not been cashed so did it arrive?

I'm trying to entice one of my mates to come with me - Mrs Seany wants to go shopping - as feel a bit unsure about possibly meeting the likes of Grumpy and Centurion who seem to have a vast knowledge of everything. My mate, Phil, is already keen as his GGF was killed in Gallipoli but still needs extra co-ercion- can you yet reveal the two other speakers??

Seany

Trust me - hearing Peter Hart talk about Gallipoli will be worth the entrance fee alone! You may well get his airplane impressions not to mention the animal reference that usually crops up.

Seriously there will be all ranges of expertise there - so don't worry about that.

Brian

OK I'm seeing Phil today and will probably and susequently send cheque for two places.

Seany

Trust me - hearing Peter Hart talk about Gallipoli will be worth the entrance fee alone! You may well get his airplane impressions not to mention the animal reference that usually crops up.

Seriously there will be all ranges of expertise there - so don't worry about that.

Brian

Is your bark worse than your bite, Pete?

Looking forward to seeing you at Ruddington WFA next month, btw.

Keith

Alan - I may not have cashed your cheque - been away for a few days so will check tonight

Sean - last two speakers not sorted yet so I can't tell you just yet...

Alan

hearing Peter Hart talk about Gallipoli will be worth the entrance fee alone!

If he brings along the handdrawn map from his Lancs & Cheshire WFA talk, it'll be a treat.

Folks - please excuse me for starting a new thread about this but hopefully you'll understand why. The numbers who have signed up for the conference are a little low at the moment - around the 20 mark, with a couple of expressions of interest.

Following the success of last year, it would be a shame if the event fell through because of lack of interest. I can understand that it might be difficult to commit to an event still 5 months away, but this time last year, the numbers who had paid deposits were considerably higher (over 60) than those who have this time. This represented the majority of those who attended last year.

It really isn't cost effective to run the event unless we have sufficient numbers. Can I ask forum members to let me know, without commitment, if they think they might be interested in attending - it would be a shame not to be able to repeat last year's event, generally thought by those who attended to be a great success. As well as enjoying five fine talks by the speakers, there was a very social element to the event, extending into an enjoyable dinner and late night bar session. Here is a reminder - lots of photos that Kim (Pighills) took on the day - http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=144033

Just as a reminder - three speakers have kindly agreed to speak next April - Jack Sheldon, Alan Wakefield and Peter Hart - and there will be five speakers in all. The cost of the day is £20 including lunch, with dinner costing £25. The details are here - http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=152404

To those who have paid deposits, please be assured these would be refunded in the event of the event being cancelled.

Thanks

Alan

Intend to come if at all possible but domestic situation means I cannot commit at the moment