Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1 London Regiment Charles Alfred Rutherford

Rutherford

I am researching my Great Grandfather Charles Alfred Rutherford who served in 1st Bn London Regiment (the remarks on the back of his photo say 'London Fusiliers' in tropical uniform and pith helmet - might suggest Malta?)and disembarked at Le Harve in March 1915. His Medal card for 1 Lond Regt suggests he received; the BMW, Victory Medal and 1915 Star.

My grandmother tells me he was suffered a bad head wound that meant he had to take daily medication until he pased away in June 1937 and suspects that he retained some shrapnel in his head. I assume that because his medal card shows no further campaign medals beyond 1915 that he was possibly wounded in 1915? At some stage he transferred to Military Provost as a Sgt and worked in the Military Prison in Aldershot.

How can I find out what actions he toook part in in France on the Western Front (MIC shows theatre of operations as 1)and where and under what circumstances he was wounded? Was he invalied home for example? Are there any 1 London War Diaries from this period or are there other sources?

Kind regards

Sam

Hello Sam,

Could you provide Charles' Army number please - was it L/Corp 1733 + Sgt T-2264? Did he transfer to the Military Provost Staff Corps?

There is also a C A Rutherford with the 20th Londons, just wanted to clarify.

If he was with the MPSC, I have his Army service records for you. Looks as though he may have sustained a gun shot wound to the forehead.

Cheers, ;)

Peter.

Hello Sam,

Could you provide Charles' Army number please - was it L/Corp 1733 + Sgt T-2264? Did he transfer to the Military Provost Staff Corps?

There is also a C A Rutherford with the 20th Londons, just wanted to clarify.

If he was with the MPSC, I have his Army service records for you. Looks as though he may have sustained a gun shot wound to the forehead.

Cheers, ;)

Peter.

Hi Peter,

What fantastic luck! Yes it was definately LCpl 1733 1 London Regiment and then Sgt T 2264 when he transferred to MPSC (thanks I have just worked out what MPSC means now on his Medal card!). My grandmother has confirmed he transferred to MPSC and was a SSgt or Sgt at the Aldershot Military Prison after WW1 and was definately badly wounded in the head which left a big scar.

My sister (who accessed the NA files) and I wondered whether the 2 C A Rutherfords could have been the same person, but I think 20th Londons formed in Blackheath and he was definatley central London in Marlebone which would suggest 1 Londons as the medal card suggests.

I am more than happy to email you the medal card download from NA and the 2 photos I have of him, although you may have seen them under a thread about 1 London Regiment that I joined a few days ago relating to 5th London Regt for a Pte Russell? If you search under 'Charles Alfred Rutherford' you will find my attachments on the forum but I was unable to download the final photograph and MIC Pdf from the NA which you are welcome to.

I don't suppose you have any research interest in WW2? I am researching my father's father who served in 2SAS 1943-1945, then Parachute Regt in Palestine until 1949 and then transferred to Royal Western Frontier Force 1950-1956. I have an 2SAS Op Report for 'OP Defoe' on which he deployed in July/Aug 1944 in Normandy and his SAS parachue course nominal role from RAF Ringway but nothing else! I know he joined 9th Lancers in the 1930's and saw active service in the Western Desert before transferring to 2 SAS probably at Phillippeville with Bill Stirling. 317608 Sgt A J Orwin 2SAS Regiment.

Look forward to hearing from you soon - my Grandmother and sister will be delighted!

Kind regards

Sam