Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Italians vs Austrians in Alps

westkent78

This may be perceived as a bit of a ghoulish question, and I apologize if it offends anyone, as that is not my intention.

I remember reading somewhere, and I know I've seen a website on this subject, that artefacts and remains are frequently found in the Alps which date from the battles fought there during WW1. Apparently glaciers melt and reveal the remains, rather like Oetzi the Iceman.

Presumably everything is very well preserved by the ice. While the human remains are no doubt buried with full honours, what happens to the personal effects? Are they interred as a whole or do they go to some museum for archiving. It would seem to be a perfect opportunity to study primary evidence in situ. And as an extention of this question, are all war dead interred with the associated items they are found with?

Thank you for helping an inquiring mind.

Matthew

• 6 years later...

There is an 'Ice City' in the Marmolada Glacier which is being revealed as the glacier retreats. I believe that it is being preserved as a tourist attraction. Minus the bodies.

There is an 'Ice City' in the Marmolada Glacier which is being revealed as the glacier retreats. I believe that it is being preserved as a tourist attraction. Minus the bodies.

Every valley in the areas of Alps where the Great War was fought hosts a musem. The highest museum in Europe is located inside a bank office at Passo Stelvio (Stilfserjoch) at an altitude of 2757 m. It has nice displays made with war debris found in the nearby. The richest collection of ice war leftovers is possibly that at the Museo della Guerra Bianca in Temù. A famous museum in Austria is that in Mauten.

There is also a number of collectors who climb the glaciers each summer to increase their collection and share the knowledge about their findings with others. You can have a look at this thread in an Italian forum: It is nearly 3.000 posts....all in Italian, but the pictures speak for themselves. A few pics in there are mine....

Unfortunately there is also a number of predators who seek for valuable goods (on collectors market). They do not care at historical investigation or preservation of sites....

.............. snip..............

It would seem to be a perfect opportunity to study primary evidence in situ. And as an extention of this question, are all war dead interred with the associated items they are found with?

Thank you for helping an inquiring mind.

Matthew

Of course attempts to identify the identities of the bodies found are always carried out. Bodies are usually brought to Forensic Medicine institues for a deep inspection. Funerals with military honours are given and the bodies interred at the closest cemetery to the place of finding (unless they are identified and interred by the family or the foreign state at a place of their choice). In case the bodies are from an Army different than the Italian, the respective local authorities are contacted.

The General Commisariat for the Honours to the War Deads of the Defense Ministry coordinates these activities.

When a finding is reported, together with Alpine Rescue teams, archaeologists or technical experts from the museums take care of excavation and researches. The Army usually offers logistical support like helicopters.