Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Western Front Battlefield trip

CROONAERT

Thanks for posting the excellent photos Dave,

I visited Romagne again in August and apart from the sheer size of the American Cemetery (the ABMC must be one of the biggest local employers !) I am always struck by the fact that a road runs through it. The minor country road from Romagne to Cunel is suddenly enveloped in this magnificent verdant cemetery before returning to its status as a "single" track road to the rather desolate village of Cunel.

Post #16. Photo of soldier on 'rock' face. That looks precarious. Was that as dangerous to snap as it looks?

Not really... there's a narrow path below it (where i'm standing to take the photo below)...

post-357-021574000 1283355005.jpg

.... a quick quiz question to end... I never knew what this was until last week (when I asked someone!!!). I'd seen them many times, but never heeded much notice of them. Anyone else know?:whistle:

They mark those soldiers whose remains have been found since the war.

Wonderful pics, dave.

Thanks for posting them....but you took nearly 3,000.....and have posted under 100.....

Can't wait for the other 2,900!

:lol:

Bruce

Super photos. Thanks for sharing Dave - shows me lots of places I still have to visit!

Jim

They are really fantastic photo's and demonstrate how difficult it must have been to erect some of the memorials.

Mick

• Admin

Great photos Dave- thanks for sharing them

Michelle

I've not visited any American Cemeteries myself, so it was interesting to see the Medal of Honor recipients' graves. I had no idea they were engraved as they are.

Here's how they appear on the 'Tablets of the Missing' too, if interested , Nigel (PS. Congrats on the new arrival BTW...meant to drop you an email but things have been a little hectic!).

Cambridge American Cemetery (on the way back...WW2 so I didn't post earlier)...

Dave.

post-357-035411700 1283438553.jpg

They mark those soldiers whose remains have been found since the war.

Spot on. (I'd seen them myriads of times, but never been curious enough to find out until this year!)... for some reason , I find this method far more preferable to removing the name from the memorial.

Dave.

Spot on. (I'd seen them myriads of times, but never been curious enough to find out until this year!)... for some reason , I find this method far more preferable to removing the name from the memorial.

Dave.

....and here's a bunch in situ...

post-357-092213700 1283439056.jpg

post-357-001705200 1283439105.jpg

post-357-019583000 1283439139.jpg

post-357-064568200 1283439172.jpg

Nice trip Dave. While you were lost on the Hartmannsweilerkopf, I found the underground tunnels of notorious Sudelkopf about the same time, maybe same day. Yes with tons of pictures of lost bunker systems and deep tunnels and caverns :hypocrite:

post-80-094105600 1283445468.jpg

Beautiful shots of the HWK. My great uncle was there in 1916 with the 2/13th company of the 3rd Regiment of Engineers, French Army (this shortly after being at Verdun with them, where he won his Croix de Guerre and was wounded). They were preparing defences according to the regimental history.

Dave

Great photos looks like a wonderful trip.

thanks

Tim B

Nice trip Dave. While you were lost on the Hartmannsweilerkopf, I found the underground tunnels of notorious Sudelkopf about the same time, maybe same day. Yes with tons of pictures of lost bunker systems and deep tunnels and caverns :hypocrite:

egbert

I hope your going to share them with us I always enjoy your Vosges trips

Tim B

I found the underground tunnels of notorious Sudelkopf about the same time, maybe same day. Yes with tons of pictures of lost bunker systems and deep tunnels and caverns

A bit like this?

4953259885_1b0454695d_z.jpg

Card from my collection.

I agree with Tim's comment above!

Gwyn

Great pictures has me all warmed up and ready to go next week. I am glad that I purchased a digital camera so I will be able to post when I get home to Canada. Looking forward to going into the caves at Vimy last time I was there it was to early no guides.

Cheers friends

Rick

• 11 months later...

A bit like this?

Card from my collection.

I agree with Tim's comment above!

Gwyn

No Gwyn, your picture is not one of the Sudelkopf fortresses, but mighty fortress Bamberg on the slopes of Hartmannsweilerkopf. I had been there 2 days ago on a 12 hour, 10km and 600m height difference- walk around, up and down the whole of Hartmannsweillerkopf with some 350 pictures taken.

• 8 years later...
On 3.9.2010 at 11:21, Dragon said:

Ein bisschen wie das?

Karte aus meiner Sammlung.

Ich stimme dem obigen Kommentar von Tim zu!

Gwyn

Das ist die deutsche  Feste Bamberg, der untere Bereich ist nicht mehr vorhanden.

Feste Bamberg 2011...24.JPG

Feste Bamberg 2011...30.JPG

Feste Bamberg 2011...31.JPG

On 2.9.2010 at 18:37, egbert said:

Schöne Reise Dave. Während Sie sich auf dem Hartmannsweilerkopf verirrt haben, habe ich ungefähr zur selben Zeit, vielleicht am selben Tag, die unterirdischen Tunnel des berüchtigten Sudelkopf gefunden. Ja, mit Tonnen von Bildern von verlorenen Bunkersystemen und tiefen Tunneln und Höhlen:Heuchler:

post-80-094105600 1283445468.jpg

Das Bild wäre dann aber verkehrt. Der Sudelkopf liegt in der anderen Richtung. Du meintest als das Hessenwerk. Darüber schreibe ich gerade ein Buch!!!

Stützpunkt 6...48.JPG

Stützpunkt 6...33.JPG

Stützpunkt 6...13.JPG