Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who gave the soldier the Military Medal?

joee86

Hi guys,

Another random question I have just thought up.

In the case of a soldier winning the military medal, who was the officer that gave it to him? Every time I learn one thing about the military history of my family it opens up more and more questions.

Reading the brigade diary at Kew, my great grandfather was immediately awarded the MM along with other men who won the MM amongst other decorations. However, my great grandfather was shot during the action and was sent home. By the time he was gazetted, he would of been in the cavalry reserve.

So, my question. Would he have been given the medal whilst in hospital in France? Or rather, by an officer in the reserve?

These random questions are slowly creating a clear picture for me. So any ideas would help.

Cheers,

Joe.

The MM or any other Decoration would be either presented at a formal presentation by a "worthy" such as the Town or City Mayor,from where the Recipient came,A Senior Military Officer, etc; or even the Monarch,some time after the Award was promulgated in the London Gazette,often they were posted on with a returnable receipt!!,they would not generally be presented "In The Field" as it were,though they were {usually the Ribbon Bar} so presented at Special Awards Parades,or in Hospital to recovering Recipients;but again after the awards had be authorised by higher powers!!

The submission for an Award of any Medal for Gallantry or Distinguished or Meritorious Service would have been through various lengthy processes prior to award.

A relative's grandfather's MM came in the post in 1923...