Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
chris.wight

RFC or not?

chris.wight

I originally posted this on the "Soldiers" board but this seems more appropriate.

I'd like to know if Private R. F. Barnes was transferred to the RFC based on the information on his MIC? Also would he have had a second card issued specifically for the RFC in that case? I understand his 14-15 star would have his 3rd CMR details on it, but would the BWM, and VM reflect his later service?

post-31-1086637977.jpg

N.S.Regt.

Hi Chris

I have a similar grouping The 14-15 Star is named to 67328 pte. T.G. Black 25th Battalion The pair are named to a flight Cadet RAF. Hope this helps.

N.S.regtBest regards

post-31-1086645867.jpg

chris.wight

Thanks for the reply N.S.Regt.

Would no rank being given on his MIC indicate he remained a Private in the RFC?

Given that the 3rd CMR was disbanded by the beginning of 1916, and since this fellow was a barrister by trade, I would have thought he'd end up as an officer, or at least higher than a Private.

srv

Hello Chris,

Sorry I do not know about the index card,however it would seem that it is marked commisioned after the Air Ministry.This would tie in with the April 1918 RAF list where a Lt RF Barnes is shown as being a pilot. Might be worth researching his service record. Hope this helps and good luck.

Regards

N.S.Regt.

Chris

Did you Try for his CEF records? Included In T.G. Black's was a RAF Certificate of service and little peices of Information here and there. All the information I have on Black was from the National Archives. As for his rank this may only show the rank on the Star not on the Pair. Black only made Acting Sgt. when he was accepted into the RAF and commisioned just before being sent home a 2nd Lieut.

As far as the Canadian army was cocerned he was still a A-Sgt. his highest in the C.E.F. Your man may have received a promotion but can not see it on the card it may show up in his service file. Sorry I could not be much more help.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

chris.wight

Thanks for your replies, srv and N.S.Regt..

srv I think you're right about the comm on the MIC meaning he was commissioned - it just didn't click when I saw it. You mentioned an RAF list - would that be available on-line?

N.S.Regt., I'll have to add him to my want list for service records.

srv

Hi Chris,

With regards to RAF List, it is not available on line. It is a book the same as the Army list,but the first one for the RAF on their formation in 1918. It is quite easy to come by, however if you are stuck contact me and I will send you a photocopy of the page.

Regards,SRV.