Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'In Memoriam' card accompanying a death plaque question

drweiler

This is the first 'Memoriam' card I've seen accompanying a death plaque, in this case of RNR Deck Hand Gilbert John Wilson of the H.M.S. Prize. Were these cards provide for or made available to the family by the Navy, or purchased by the family from a private source? It's very touching, with a Naval theme, including the poem. Thank you, Don

post-46771-032823200 1282823537.jpg

I have the same two items which belonged to my late Grandmother, in rememberance of my Grandfather and came to me after the death of my Daddy.

The front has a black mourning border (as do all four sides), with an illustration of daisys surrounding a laid down cross.

Inside the front cover is the following, very beautiful, poem, suitable for any man of the sea:

He has gone on his last Commission,

In a beautiful ship called "Rest";

He has laid his head for ever

On his Great Commander's breast.

The inscription reads:

In Memory

of

SIDNEY GEORGE BOND,

Who died 23rd July, 1918

SADLY MISSED BY HIS LOVING WIFE

He died when my Daddy was 3 years and 10 months old, here in Plymouth, after being torpedoed off Robin Hood's Bay, whilst on an armed merchant vessel.

I don't know who or which organisation provided either the Death Plaque or the Memorial Card, but both are treasured by me. Unfortunately, I don't have any children to pass these and his medal to, so do wonder what will become of them after my demise.

Did yours belong to a family member, or is it just something you have acquired over the years?

Best wishes,

Carole

Your 'In Memorium' card did not come with the death plaque; it would have been produced privately by the family for distibution to friends and relatives. It would have been made at the time that the man's death was announced. A family member clearly kept a copy and it has been passed down together with the plaque. A very brief condolence letter was included with the plaques, and said something along the lines of "His Majesty the King expresses his sympathy....etc, etc." with a royal crest at the top and a facsimile signature at the bottom.

Plaques were produced and distributed in the post-war era, and commemorated service-men and -women who were killed or died during the war. There is evidence that they continued being issued up to about 1926 (I have seen a plaque issued to someone with a very unusual name who had died in the mid-1920's (there is nothing to indicate that the producers of the plaques used the same criteria as CWGC).