Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank used to raise funds in Salisbury

Chunkeroo

• 1 year later...

Do you think it was from the the same 'rally' as this one? Tissue-paper thin flyer that I have no idea how it survived. Now preserved in acid free display. Apologies if way off base, didn't read all the posts.... :blush:

Best regards!

- Mike

post-23621-0-97114600-1391993226_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

I am from Salisbury so great images - thanks. Here is one more sombre I am afraid.

Tankcas_zps580b2c20.jpg[/url]

An old thread but this marvellous photo of the Salisbury Tank is on the Salisbury Journal website as part of the Museum's appeal for their WW1 exhibition.

2621663.jpg

If the advert on the front of tank 211 for Bonza's Concert Party is for SAT March 6th then the year is 1920, that is the closest year for Saturday to be the 6th March.

That's a good bit of deduction.

• 4 months later...

Yes, I am confident this is in fact the presentation tank.

Gwyn

Humble pie time, because I don't want to be on record for spreading information that I now know not to be true. Tank 211 is not the Salisbury presentation tank. It was a tank that visited the town in early March 1918 (see Moonraker's post #4) to raise money for war bonds. There are two big clues in the photo in post #27. Firstly, this tank is equipped with at least two Lewis guns and no presentation tank came complete with machine guns. Secondly, if you blow up the photo you can see the date on the placard hanging from said Lewis gun is not Saturday March 6, but Wednesday March 6. March 6 was a Wednesday in 1918. There's also the small point that 211 was the presentation tank to Bridgwater.

I'm grateful to tanks3 for helping me puzzle this one out.

Gwyn

... Edit it looks as if its parked in front of the war memorial - a bit premature if this was there in March 1918

If it's not the war memorial, then what is it? I'm not likely to be in Salisbury for a while, but perhaps someone with local knowledge can ID the exact spot.

Somewhere I've seen a note to the effect that Salisbury was lent a tank by a nearby Tank Corp unit. If they were preparing to go to France it could well have been a Mk V.

I haven't come across a "Tank Corp unit" near to Salisbury in the war and don't think tanks were much seen in the county until the 1920s.

(Having re-written the caption to my card once in the light of remarks made here on GWF, I'm now going to have to re-write it again in the light of Sidearm's latest conclusion! :) Thanks to everyone for an interesting discussion.)

Moonraker

If it's not the war memorial, then what is it? I'm not likely to be in Salisbury for a while, but perhaps someone with local knowledge can ID the exact spot.

Moonraker

To answer my own question, I'm fairly sure that it's the Sidney Herbert statue.

See what I mean?

The war memorial is on the right.

Moonraker

(Good thing no one was going to check out the scene, as per my suggestion in post 33, as the Herbert statue was removed to Victoria Park in 1953!)

• 9 months later...

This postcard was in my Grandmother's album. She was born in Salibury in 1901. Sadly there is no date or postmark on the postcard. Just as a matter of interest, she also saw the Kaiser riding his horse down Salisbury high street when she was a small child.

I was sceptical about this claim, but the author who's preparing Salisbury in the Great War has come across an account of the Kaiser's visit in a local newspaper.

Wikipedia tells me that "beginning in the 1890s, Wilhelm made visits to England for Cowes Week on the Isle of Wight and often competed against his uncle in the yacht races ... Despite his poor relations with his English relatives, nevertheless, when he received news that Queen Victoria was dying at Osborne House in January 1901, Wilhelm traveled to England and was at her bedside when she died and remained for the funeral. He also was present at the funeral of King Edward VII in 1910."

It's not far from Cowes to Salisbury, though Wilhelm's sailing visits to the Isle of Wight would appear to have been made before Chunkeroo's grandmother was born.And had he remained in England between Queen Victoria's death and her funeral he could have seen the sights. (Wonder if he got to Stonehenge?)

Moonraker

I was sceptical about this claim, but the author who's preparing Salisbury in the Great War has come across an account of the Kaiser's visit in a local newspaper.

Wikipedia tells me that "beginning in the 1890s, Wilhelm made visits to England for Cowes Week on the Isle of Wight and often competed against his uncle in the yacht races ... Despite his poor relations with his English relatives, nevertheless, when he received news that Queen Victoria was dying at Osborne House in January 1901, Wilhelm traveled to England and was at her bedside when she died and remained for the funeral. He also was present at the funeral of King Edward VII in 1910."

It's not far from Cowes to Salisbury, though Wilhelm's sailing visits to the Isle of Wight would appear to have been made before Chunkeroo's grandmother was born.And had he remained in England between Queen Victoria's death and her funeral he could have seen the sights. (Wonder if he got to Stonehenge?)

Moonraker

He did, but thirty years earlier ! http://salisburyandstonehenge.net/on-this-day/august/august-10th-1871-crown-prince-of-prussia-victoria-the-princess-royal-and-the-future-kaiser-willhelm-ii-visit-salisbury-and-stonehenge

• 4 years later...
On 20/10/2012 at 16:27, Moonraker said:

Phew!

Three cards of the tank in Salisbury have just gone on eBay for £263.97, with

the best one

going for £101.99. That's the highest price by far I've seen for a "military Wiltshire" postcard of the Great War period. And no, my bids came nowhere near those that won. :(

Moonraker

Everything comes to he who waits!

Just won a duplicate of that card for £8.50 :D against a couple of modest bidders. At a fair I would expect to pay £25+.

The link no longer works, but see the image in Simon Jones' post 27.

And there's enough info on this thread for me to "write up" the card.

Moonraker

Hi,

2621663.jpg

I believe that photo is taken with the tank at the southern end of Catherine Street (going against the current one way traffic flow), at the junction with New Street and Ivy Street - a couple of hundred yards away from the market place. A similar modern view is...

image.png.06af607c921221e41e4bd449c3057947.png

Image from Google Earth

Given the elevated view of the photo, I wonder if it might have been taken from the first floor balcony of the White Hart Hotel in St John's Street.

image.png.e51f354e3013b2c19aca089fcc812e30.png

Image from Google Earth

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

Thanks for that, Chris. I do like "then & now" photos, though I prefer Salisbury "then" to "now".

Moonraker

• 9 months later...

Thought these might be of interest. 

You can see the Frederick Herbert statue in its entirety here. It was in front of the Guildhall before being moved to make way for the war memorial. 

According to the programme, the tank was present on the Tuesday only, that makes it the 5th of March 1918.

FB_IMG_1605091030775.jpg

FB_IMG_1605091045903.jpg

FB_IMG_1605091067632.jpg

FB_IMG_1605091075477.jpg

Good Afternoon, Bully Beef

and welcome. You've made a good start with those excellent photos. I suspect that I came across them when I was working my way through the microfilm copies of the Journal at Salisbury Library, but that was c1997.

Hi,

6 hours ago, Bully Beef said:

You can see the Frederick Herbert statue in its entirety here. It was in front of the Guildhall before being moved to make way for the war memorial. 

I may well be wrong, but I don't think that is quite the case. From what I understand the war memorial was unveiled in 1922, but the statue of Sidney Herbert wasn't moved to a local park until the early 1950s.

image.png.ebef7388fa6b07b098ffcbca93d81bc5.png

Image sourced from https://salisburyhealthcarehistory.uk/victoria_park/

From Google Earth, a similar perspective to the photo, it looks like the war memorial is further away from the front of the guildhall

image.png.cb17d59e7c9a37768a3b60d1c47e6aa9.png

Image sourced from Google Earth

Regards

Chris

5 minutes ago, clk said:

Hi,

I may well be wrong, but I don't think that is quite the case. From what I understand the war memorial was unveiled in 1922, but the statue of Sidney Herbert wasn't moved to a local park until the early 1950s.

image.png.ebef7388fa6b07b098ffcbca93d81bc5.png

Image sourced from https://salisburyhealthcarehistory.uk/victoria_park/

From Google Earth, a similar perspective to the photo, it looks like the war memorial is further away from the front of the guildhall

image.png.cb17d59e7c9a37768a3b60d1c47e6aa9.png

Image sourced from Google Earth

Regards

Chris

Apologies, I was actually thinking of the Henry Fawcett statue and completely confused the issue! 

Sidney Herbert,

7 hours ago, Bully Beef said:

... You can see the Frederick Herbert statue in its entirety here. It was in front of the Guildhall before being moved to make way for the war memorial...

Sidney Herbert. More about the statue here.

'The City Council decided in principle in November 1952 that the statue would have to be moved “in the course of preparations for Coronation celebrations”. On that occasion, Alderman E.J. Case, chairman of the City Lands Committee argued that removing the statue “would give more space in front of the Guildhall for civic and state occasions”. An alternative to Victoria Park was a location in the grounds of the Council House ... the statue was moved on Tuesday 12th May 1953.'

Hi BB,

Do please keep posting away. My great uncle (death presumed 23.3.1918) is named on the memorial, so I have a keen interest*1.

Thanks Moonraker for confirming what I thought.

Regards

Chris

Edit:

*1 He's my current avatar 

Edited by clk