Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

H. A. Jones

Michael Molkentin

Hi

Im doing some research on the writing of the British official history series 'The War in the Air' at the moment. I've got loads of stuff from the NA at Kew on Sir Walter Raliegh's work on volume 1 and I have a reasonable amount of material on Jones work (vols 2-6). I've got his private papers from the RAF musuem which include some excellent material on how he worked.

I've got two distinct gaps in the records though- H A's wartime service and the period during which he was appointed Raleigh's successor (when Raliegh died from Typhoid after a field trip to Iraq).

As for the former, I know he was a captain at the end of the war and had an MC- does anyone have any details about his wartime service? Where and when he fought, what his MC was for etc?

As for the other issue (his appointment as Sir Walter's successor), I am aware that the CID and Air Ministry initially agreed on D G Hoggarth (a museum curator from Oxford) and he wrote a draft of Chapter 1 of Volume 2 (on Gallipoli) before abandoning the project (Jones preface in Vol 2 states due to health problems and other pressures).

Andrew Boyle (in his Trenchard biography) claims that Trenchard's meddling in the decision eliminated most of the other candidates and left Jones 'by default'.

Can anyone offer anything else to help me fill the gaps?

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Michael,

You could try researching into the records of 47 Squadron and their time in Macedonia.

Observer Lieut H A Jones was wounded, on the 19th August 1918, having been shot in the stomach. He also received the MC in September 1917 for work in Macedonia.

I cannot confirm that the above mentioned H A Jones is indeed your man but believe he could be. At the very least you may be able to rule him out.

Sorry I can't be more helpful but I know very little of 47 Squadron's role in Macedonia but Russia, on the other hand, is a different story!

Regards,

Rob.

Hello Michael,

You could try researching into the records of 47 Squadron and their time in Macedonia.

Observer Lieut H A Jones was wounded, on the 19th August 1918, having been shot in the stomach. He also received the MC in September 1917 for work in Macedonia.

I cannot confirm that the above mentioned H A Jones is indeed your man but believe he could be. At the very least you may be able to rule him out.

Sorry I can't be more helpful but I know very little of 47 Squadron's role in Macedonia but Russia, on the other hand, is a different story!

Regards,

Rob.

Thanks Rob- I am tempted to be convinced its the same jones... but aren't common names like smith and jones the bane of historians!?!?!

Michael

The Jones who was awarded the MC while in No 47 Sqn is indeed the author of The War in the Air Vols 2 - 6. You might like to have a look at H A Jones' history of No 47 Sqn RFC/RAF: Over the Balkans and South Russia 1917-1919. The reprint that I have has the ISBN 0 947898 62 X.

Regards

Gareth

• 9 years later...

Your research and notes are interesting. 

Mr H. A. Jones was my uncle and brother of my father who tried for some years to get details of his disappearance in the years following 1945.

I have recently acquired all 7 volumes of his work compiling the "History" together with all the maps and diagrams. He also wrote a moving eulogy about his friendship with Walter Raleigh. He lived in Montreal for 4 years as Under Secretary of State associated with the creation and running of the Bomber Training School. He was on his way back there with others to take part in the celebrations on the winding up of the School when the plane was lost near the Azores. 

I. H. D. JONES

20 hours ago, Ihd Jones said:

Mr H. A. Jones was my uncle and brother of my father who tried for some years to get details of his disappearance in the years following 1945.

I have recently acquired all 7 volumes of his work compiling the "History" together with all the maps and diagrams. He also wrote a moving eulogy about his friendship with Walter Raleigh. He lived in Montreal for 4 years as Under Secretary of State associated with the creation and running of the Bomber Training School. He was on his way back there with others to take part in the celebrations on the winding up of the School when the plane was lost near the Azores. 

I. H. D. JONES

Welcome to the Forum I.H.D.

As with Michael's original post, I too have recently been conducting some research into one of The War in the Air volumes produced by your Uncle.  My particular interest is connected to Vol 5, so I would be very interested to find out if there is anything you may have with regard to his compiling of Vol 5  - sources etc - which might help with my understanding of his writing process.

Regards,

Peter.

Edited by pete-c

Just ordered a copy of the reprinted book on Flying in the Balkans and South Russia. Looking forward to reading that one.

Keith

23 hours ago, Ihd Jones said:

I. H. D. JONES

Welcome I. H. Jones.I am interested in the writing of all Official Histories and am interested in the work you have acquired. Whats in the 7 volumes? What are the titles I will see if there is anything in my books on Official Histories about the writing of the War in the Air.