Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The HARRY LUND investigation by 'Team Harry'

sutton-in-craven

If there's time Robert might agree to show us where Harry's sister is buried?

Aye, right there in t'same area where t'old lass Sarah Ann Lund is buried lay 3 generations of my family. My parents, grandparents and great grandparents. :hypocrite: Robert's already spotted 'em.

I'm assuming the Berry clan are buried in the Baptist Chapel graveyard (from what Andy says) across the road at the bottom end of the park.

I'm thinking "Team Harry" too - I agree on the "Go" bit being cribbed from the US. But then it was originally a bit of silliness on my part that I didn't envisage becoming a reality back then (was it only a couple of months ago?)! I also agree it might attract more people the other way round (though I appreciate that the question was what set us all off on this). Being the pedantic Rottweiler that I am, I'm thinking we were actually searching for "S. Lund" who, fortunately for us, turned out to be Harry. So technically we were no longer searching for him at that point. See - I can be a pedant with the best of 'em! innocent.gif

Glad you're making progress with your own project.

[Edit: just seen the latest, Andrew - think that'll work well]

I think you should swap the sub heading and the main heading around. Thinking long term and the ease of finding it in years to come.

Done!

Tremendous!

The Berry graves are in the Parish Church graveyard. There's a Monkhouse grave in there too.

Perfect day - cool and crisp. I tried taking a short clip and it's finally loaded onto YouTube: hopefully this link will work.

Unfortunately I don't have the software to edit the clip but it's not long.

That's great Louise!

Mona Townson lays her wreath to Harry Lund at 0:45 seconds:

Thanks, Andy. First encounter with my own YouTube account, so the learning curve continues!

And, specially for Andrew, a shot of Mona's family's wreath (centre) below Harry's name.

post-49061-059339600 1289763986.jpg

That's great, wonderful to see the footage of Mona laying the wreath and the still photo of memorial plate showing Harry's name and the wreath placed underneath.

It kind of feels like this completes the Harry story in some ways, albeit for one or two loose ends (there will be more I'm sure!). But by and large the investigation has now run it's course and has culminated in Harry being remembered for the first time on Armistice Day by Mona and by members of Team Harry. A perfect end to an improbable resolution to my initial inquiry into who S. Lund was. I think my sister sums it up well in her post yesterday on the Sutton website forum when she says:

"Great story. Its wonderful to know that, a hundred years later, people care enough about the men who gave their lives during the Great War, and to whom we are so indebted, that they are willing to spend time and effort unravelling the stories behind the names on local war memorials to ensure that these soldiers are not forgotten. What a worthwhile endeavour. I watched the Calendar news clip. Well done everyone involved in the search to uncover Pte. Lund's identity and to learn his story. You should be very proud."

Hope no-one objects, but I think we have a new Classic Thread here...

Alan

Hope no-one objects, but I think we have a new Classic Thread here...Alan

Did I hear you say Classic Thread?..... :w00t: Well this is indeed 'whoop-de-do' fantastic news. A lasting tribute to members of 'Team Harry' and the hours upon hours we have all spent delving into this case to uncover the facts about Harry Lund over the past 3 months.

A big hearty Well Done Team from me, :thumbsup: I couldn't have done it without you and Harry would still be out there in the cold :poppy:

Guess this calls for yet another celebratory beer or three tonight, just for a change!

The Classic status is well deserved!

Bruce

Hi

I returned from Ypres yesterday so have only just had a chance to catch up on your recent events. I managed to view the news footage on utube, what a lovely tribute to Harry. Mona looked and sounded really overwhelmed at the end, obviously meant a lot to her.

I was under the Menin Gate on the 11th and, amongst others, thought of Harry. I've learnt a lot from Harry's story so will never forget Harry.

Well done

Barbara

Great news that Harry's "gone classic".

And to top it off, here's a link to the original Calendar report (hope it works this time!)...

That's tremendous Louise. Very good indeed. :thumbsup:
I'm giving a talk this Friday about the Men of Worth project and I'll be including a bit about Harry's story and showing some of the research that went into finding him. It's well deserving of classic thread status because its a demonstration of cooperation and dedication to research that shows what a powerful force this forum is through the members.
We'll never forget Harry, that's for sure. Now for the rest of them... :poppy:

Incidentally to embed a You Tube clip on this forum all you do is enclose the URL in [media] tags. There's a button for 'Insert Media' in the posting window for the thread. Just run your cursor over the icons which start with the one for Bold Text and it's the one on the right hand end of that row (it looks like three overlapping pictures).
You don't have to copy and paste the block of 'embedding html script' from You Tube.

Yippee! I'd heard the audio but now, thanks to Louise and Andy, I've seen the whole package. Fantastic [glad I wasn't there - looks like a gale force 9!]

Brilliant way to finish off

Brilliant Louise & Andy, have just this minute watched the Calendar report for the very first time. Wonderful conclusion to the Harry story. Thanks for putting the YouTube link on here, I tried searching YouTube but couldn't find it, then looked on GWF and there it was!

Actually, I think the GWF forum thank YOU for such a highly interesting thread, showing the friendship, camaraderie and skill deployed by many of its contributors. Having seen the original title, I thought that was such an easy peasy question that I never bothered opening it. It was only after it kept appearing daily that I finally peeked in and what a little gem it is!!

There are many fiction books that have a less interesting story line and I doubt that this has quite finished yet....

The added icing was the Jesse White aspect. In the words of Craig Greville Horwood "Maah-vell-ous!!"

Hi Team, it's just possible that another photo of a young Harry Lund has surfaced by pure chance on the Sutton website.

I've scrutinised the image but cannot accurately discern whether Harry is on it or not. On the reverse of the picture are the names of the people in the photo and the name Harry Lund is one of them. How many Harry Lund's would there have been in Sutton at that time?

The photo was taken in Gordon St in the middle of the village, date unknown but circa 1900. On the reverse the name Harry Lund can be seen bottom centre.

post-47732-088636500 1290553172.jpg

12 Harry Lunds of roughly the right age in Yorkshire on the 1901 census, but no others with any obvious link to Sutton:-

Name Birth Year Age Sex Registration District County

LUND, Harold 1896 5 M Skipton Yorkshire (West riding)

LUND, Harold B 1887 14 M Wakefield Yorkshire (West riding)

LUND, Harry 1896 5 M Skipton Yorkshire (West riding)

LUND, Harry 1896 5 M Keighley Yorkshire (West riding)

LUND, Harry 1893 8 M Keighley Yorkshire (West riding)

LUND, Harry 1887 14 M Halifax Yorkshire (West riding)

LUND, Harry 1893 8 M Bradford Yorkshire (West riding)

LUND, Harry 1890 11 M Bradford Yorkshire (West riding)

LUND, Harry 1892 9 M Pontefract Yorkshire (West riding)

LUND, Harry 1897 4 M Tadcaster Yorkshire (West riding)

LUND, Harry 1887 14 M Leeds Yorkshire (West riding)

LUND, Harry L 1895 6 M North Bierley Yorkshire (West riding)

[sorry - table wouldn't hold]

The other Keighley Harry was Bingley born and bred. And of course we can't discount the various other Harrys dotted around the country, who could possibly have been passing through that day. But I think it's likely to be "our Harry", as all the names have been carefully noted and it's a local photographer, presumably hoping to sell a few prints.

Ok, fairly simple process of elimination. There are three boys in the front section of the picture and two boys names in the front section of the group of names. One has leg irons on and is named as Thomas Judson, the other is much too young if this picture was taken in 1900, as Harry was 7 years old at that time (8 years old in the 1901 census) Therefore I reckon Harry is the lad standing on his own, hands behind his back, with a slightly blurred face (it would be him that moved wouldn't it):

Here's a comparison with the bicycle shot later in his life:

post-9980-013847400 1290555838.jpg

I'm sure Mona said he was in Sutton by the time he was 8 years old.

Andy, that's a wonderful picture comparison of Harry with his bike as we know him; and the boy in the Gordon St photo. The facial resemblance between the 2 boys is immediately striking, from the shape of the chin, nose, eyes and even hair style including hair colour. The other boys have distinctly different hairstyles and indeed appear to have blond hair.

So I think we can safely say with 99% accuracy that this is our Harry. The other thing that helps to nail this fact is the list of 12 Harry Lund's on the 1901 census compiled by Louise showing only one real candidate (our Harry) for this Sutton shot in Gordon St.

Great work guys, nice that another image of Harry has emerged quite out of the blue. Actually it was an eagle-eyed Sutton resident Tony Ingham who spotted this and posed the question on the Sutton forum. I'll let him know the findings.

P.s. Yes Louise, I'd previously seen the old black & white image of the Sutton war memorial shrouded from top to bottom in poppies and wreaths. Magnificent shot.