Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The HARRY LUND investigation by 'Team Harry'

sutton-in-craven

On behalf of Team Harry, thanks Mandy. I think I can safely say it's been an incredible journey. It's been an honour to be able to help bring Harry's story to life.

The link doesn't seem to work any longer so I'll see what can be done about getting something we can use.

So, Andrew - it's tipped 500 posts (and counting) and over 10,000 views (ditto). All because you had to ask what "attd RND" meant!

On behalf of Team Harry, thanks Mandy.

The link doesn't seem to work any longer so I'll see what can be done about getting something we can use.

It's still working for me, I've just watched it again.

But I have a couple of talks coming up in the near future and would love to be able to play a DVD of it to them.

Is it possible to download it onto You Tube?

That may get around the Worldwide issues.......Excellent coverage on calendar last night well done all.

Ady

Is it possible to download it onto You Tube?

That may get around the Worldwide issues.......Excellent coverage on calendar last night well done all.

Ady

I think that's likely to be a big no-no because of copyright issues. There are a couple of clips on Calendar News on YouTube, but they're old clips and I suspect they either don't know or don't care about them because they're a few years old.

If we do get DVD copies I expect there will be a proviso that they're for personal use. Although Kate did say I'd be alright using them in talks and displays as a stand alone video to promote the project.

At least Andy's right and it seems theyve just added an advert at the beginning.

Yes, I think ITV don't co-operate with YouTube but hopefully we can get something for the Forum to view as it features heavily in the piece.

So, Andrew - it's tipped 500 posts (and counting) and over 10,000 views (ditto). All because you had to ask what "attd RND" meant!

It beggers belief luv, I am still in raptures about the fact this Harry thread has feautured on TV.....it's like, surreal!

Wonderful snaps of the big occasion Chris, Andy looks deep in thought as indeed we all were during the one minute's silence.

I see one man is wearing a pair of medals on the shot of Mona laying the wreath. Looks like a WW1 pair, he looks rather young to have served in the Great War!

I received a lovely email from Mona yesterday thanking me for my part in the Harry inquiry, to which I responded back straight away. Apparently her late husband used to knock around with my cousin Jim Monkhouse when they were kids living in Sutton.

Anyway, I have just heard an audio clip of the Calender report and can email the file to interested parties overseas, as we still can't view the report visually from outside the UK.

I smiled when I heard the bit about the 'on-line help from a Yorkshireman now living in Australia!". Great to hear the voices of Andy, Louise and Mona.

Mona sounded particularly emotional, it must have been a very moving and tear-jerking experience to have been there for the ceremony at the Sutton memorial.

The Calender report was outstanding and very professionally put together. Looking forward to seeing it visually down the track.

Mona sounded particularly emotional, it must have been a very moving and tear-jerking experience to have been there for the ceremony at the Sutton memorial.

It was indeed very emotional for her. I think she was completely overwhelmed by everything that had happened in the last couple of months. And very proud of Harry too.

I hope you're all proud of yourselves because you made a dear sweet old lady cry.

:innocent:

Hi Everyone,

Well, what a superb ending to a truly classic thread.

Sorry not to have been around on the forum for the last 24hrs or so, but having watched the broadcast yesterday evening we then dashed off to the Skipton Auction Mart to watch a production by Northern Broadsides (a theatrical group) and returned home circa 10-15 pm to find that the wind had blown away our internet connection!! It was still not working this morning, so this evening is the first time I have managed to access the net and catch up. It would have been nice to join in with all the excitement, but the wind last night obviously had other ideas!!

It must have been very emotional yesterday at the Sutton War Memorial and I was sad that I couldn't be there, however we will be there on Sunday for the main ceremony.

I think that Kate made a tremendous job of the filming and editing and I still can't believe that we were on T.V. What a shame that Andrew couldn't have joined us--that would have been very special particularly for him and also for Mona, I think.

See you on Sunday.

Robert

PS Actually I think that this thread may run a little longer yet--come on Louise!!:D

I think that Kate made a tremendous job of the filming and editing and I still can't believe that we were on T.V.

OK gang, where to next, Hollywood? :hypocrite:

Is it too early to be contacting me mate Stephen Spielburg, I've got his number on speed dial :lol:

A bit belated, but it was great to see the article, (and a few faces). I thought it was extremely well put together.

Here's hoping that Andrew and Diane get to see it soon.

Phil

Wow, what a read - beats who dunnits!

I got directed to this from the post suggesting it for classic status - I'm afraid R.A.M.C. (ATT. R.N.D.) what does this mean? did not catch my attention.

Random Thoughts:

• Can the subhead of this thread be changed to include something like "The Search for Harry Lund"? The original Poster can do this by editing the original post (using the full editor).
  • "Dispensary Clerk". When my Grandfather was adjutant of 14th Y&L he had a clerk. Might it be profitable to search (somehow) for the "Dispenser" to whom Harry "clerked". My guess is that a "Dispenser" would be either a senior NCO or a junior officer - but I suspect that RAMC experts will know.
  • Publication of the ITV report in Australia. Can you get local TV in Australia interested in the story - then they might licence the ITV footage?

David

Thanks for posting the stills, Chris (I think! - very happy just to be a voiceover...) Grateful to the poor bloke who was innocently doing his own research and kindly agreed to stay put and become an honorary team member: he said he'd watch the finished product.

As for the chap wearing the medals, he may even be part of Mona's family: wouldn't it be great if they turned out to be Harry's!

Small world, Andrew - Mona was asking if you were related but of course I had no idea though I thought it very likely. Oh - and actually Mr S (or "Stevie" as I call him) rang me as soon as it aired and the jet's on its way. What? I was dreaming? Oh. sad.gif

At least it seems only Robert got the full "Harry effect" this time (remember the crash that took place after a major breakthrough where none of us could post?) - he obviously felt you should have said a few words!

Many thanks to Diane for proposing this thread for "classic" status. I've not commented when it's been suggested before, largely because I anticipated we'd get it aired - I am delighted my faith in it as a suitable piece was justified. I think it would be a great "high" for it to go over on. And as David has said, it wasn't a title that was going to automatically attract a mass viewing. In fact, one of my contacts mentioned that they'd been wondering what the fuss was all about until I prompted them. So I think it's a valid point. Still, glad you finally found us David!

And no, of course we're not finished with Harry, Robert! I'm still following up my personal mission to get the DC changed (which will hopefully throw up how the "unknown man" is identified as Harry). I also want to get my hands on a copy of that original list of names and details if one still exists. And an interesting point from David about the "clerking" aspect. "Loose ends" maybe, but I like the idea of tidying them up if at all possible, though I accept there are some things we may never know.

I'm looking forward to joining Mona, Andy and Robert tomorrow at Sutton. I'll finally get to see the memorial which inspired Andrew's search and pay my own respects.

I hadn't thought that you'd never been to the war memorial. If there's time Robert might agree to show us where Harry's sister is buried?

The church with the Berry family burials is just across the way too.

If you're up for it we could go to the Drill Hall in Keighley where the Deputy Lieutenant and his wonderful wife put on a slap up meal for all the local veterans ...and there's a bar too. It's usually a good bash. but if it's too busy the Volunteers is always close by.

Incidentally I was at a talk this week by a well respected local historian who said that the Volunteers was named after the Volunteer Rifles at the time of the Boer war, with the drill hall in place at the same time. So it's just a bit older than the Great War. I'm happy to stand corrected.

Thanks, Andy. I'm hoping to arrive early enough for a wander round. Are you joining Mona for the church service too?

Certainly up for the Drill Hall afterwards or the Volunteers if they can't squeeze us in.

Interesting about the history of the pub. I had noticed a photo of the Boer War - think it's the one with them marching off down the main road. The current sign certainly has more of a WW1 nature, which is why I noticed it in the first place.

• Can the subhead of this thread be changed to include something like "The Search for Harry Lund"? The original Poster can do this by editing the original post (using the full editor).

Good idea David, I can see that "R.A.M.C. (ATT. R.N.D.) what does this mean" is not the most inspiring of headings. It would be difficult for most people coming across this heading for the first time to appreciate that this thread culminated in being the 3rd news story on Yorkshire ITV Calender News on Armistice Day 2010!

So, I've added a sub-title as you suggest which I agree looks better and helps to identify what the subject matter is all about

Are we 'Go Team Harry' or just 'Team Harry'?

I thought the 'Go' bit was just a word of encouragement. Sort of American stylee.

I think you should swap the sub heading and the main heading around. Thinking long term and the ease of finding it in years to come. This forum is an impressive archive of information which should stand the test of time.

But that might just be me being pedantic. Although pedantic seems to be a useful characteristic when making like a Rottweiler... :devilgrin:

See you tomorrow Louise, Robert. I may not make the church as I'm still going to help set up the chairs etc at Oakworth before I come over the tops.

Just emailing the list of Christian names for those on the Riddlesden War Memorial so that they can read them out in church. They've had to make do with initials for many years. So the Men of Worth project is certainly showing its worth. Excuse the pun... :whistle: