Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charlie Brennan

Wesley Wright

Does anyone know anything about this gentleman. Do not know which battalion he was with.

He survived the war and like many of his comrades never talked about it. He was from Finglas and once mentioned he had been in Cario. Would this indicate 1st Batallion who where involved in Gallipoli?

His medals were loaned out and never returned.

Wesley Wright

The only MIC I can find for a Charles BRENNAN in the RDF is Pte 6087, but he died of wounds (gas) on 13 May 1918.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=37633

Pity it's not your man, as his service record is on Ancestry. (Lived at 12 Great Longford St, Dublin, married to Josephine, who ran off with another man in 1917...)

Adrian

Widening it to the possibility he was Royal Irish or Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers (2nd man was both) or that "Charlie" was from a middle name, what about these 2?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/search-results.asp?searchtype=browserefine&query=first_name%3dc%7clast_name%3dbrennan%7ccorpname%3droyal%20irish%20fusiliers&catid=10&pagenumber=1&querytype=1&mediaarray=*

Sam

Wesley,

A search of MIC's on Ancestry lists 18 Charles Brennan's.

Two of most interest to you are Charles Brennan 6087 Royal Dublin Fusiliers, and Captain Charles Brennan Royal Irish Fusiliers. There is a third Charles but was gassed and died 9-4-16.

Could any of these by your man ?

David

• 3 months later...

Cannot PM you(suspect you need more posts)

When my wife and I where in Rossapena(Donegal) in August we met a couple in the bar and the lady said her grandfather had been in the 1st World War and she would love to find out more about him!? I promised to help and gave them my e-mail address. Unortunately she never contacted me! Wesley Wright

• 1 month later...

Ok, then i'll just have to keep on making posts until i reach the required total.

Would the couple you met in Rossapena happen to have been named Mahon by any chance? If that's the case then i have been in touch with Charles Brennan's great granddaughter.

It is proving to be a frustrating search for information.

C

Cannot PM you(suspect you need more posts)

When my wife and I where in Rossapena(Donegal) in August we met a couple in the bar and the lady said her grandfather had been in the 1st World War and she would love to find out more about him!? I promised to help and gave them my e-mail address. Unortunately she never contacted me! Wesley Wright

There is a Charles Brennan living in Finglas on the 1901 and 1911 Irish census.

http://www.census.na...glas_East/6987/

Indeed, the very same man.

I've been tracing the Brennan family history for a while now and came across the tale of "Uncle Charlie" while talking to the older family members. There is no doubt in anyone's mind within the family that the man in the image from the Somme was "Uncle Charlie". There is by all accounts that WW1 image hanging on the wall of the Erin's Isle GAA Club clearly labled as Charles Brennan. Charles was, along with his brothers, among the very earlies members of the club and were lifelong supporters and invloved in the club.

The issue is that there is just no evidence....

It is possible that Charles' records were among those of the RDF that were destroyed (apparently around 60% of the records were destroyed). It is possible that Charles joined up as a "Redmondite" though it is also equally possible that he was enlisted as a regular prior to the outbreak of the war. I'm inclined to wonder if he was a "Redmondite" as after he was sent home due to his injuries he apparently refused a british veterans pension due to his republican beliefs (his younger brother, Francis, was in the IRA and fought in the War of Independance and Civil War). This would have been quite a step to take considering that the Brennan's were not a rich family by any means and on the whole Finglas was a relatively poor rural area at the time; to refuse a pension would have been quite a statement.

But once again we come back to the issue that there are seemingly no records to link Charles to the image from the Somme.